colt delta elite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : colt delta elite

Alliance50
06-14-2010, 08:50
Hi all

How many of you would trust your life to a colt delta elite for a carry weapon?:supergrin:

Thanks a head of time for replies!

Mwinter
06-14-2010, 09:22
Yes. I would trust my life to any individual weapon that meets my mission criteria and has been proven to function reliably (ie, tested, broken in).

In my experience, the Colt Delta will require gunsmithing and/or parts replacement to function reliably. I've had a few and none worked 100% out of the box. The only 1911 I've owned that did so was a Springfield stainless TRP. The Colts, Kimbers, and other Springfield 1911s I've owned did not run properly until after they'd been worked on.

If were to carry a Colt Delta again on duty, I would require the following in addition to function/reliability tests:
full length 1-piece guide rod + 22lb Wolff spring
oversized fitted FPS
Metalform rounded-follower magazines

and desire:
aftermarket grips
beavertail
trigger job
replacement firing pin, sear, firing pin spring, extended safety

Alliance50
06-14-2010, 09:31
Yes. I would trust my life to any individual weapon that meets my mission criteria and has been proven to function reliably (ie, tested, broken in).

In my experience, the Colt Delta will require gunsmithing and/or parts replacement to function reliably. I've had a few and none worked 100% out of the box. The only 1911 I've owned that did so was a Springfield stainless TRP. The Colts, Kimbers, and other Springfield 1911s I've owned did not run properly until after they'd been worked on.

If were to carry a Colt Delta again on duty, I would require the following in addition to function/reliability tests:
full length 1-piece guide rod + 22lb Wolff spring
oversized fitted FPS
Metalform rounded-follower magazines

and desire:
aftermarket grips
beavertail
trigger job
replacement firing pin, sear, firing pin spring, extended safety

Sorry to hear that you have had undesirable performance out of 1911's.
My completely stock delta has 2345 rds thru it so far without so much of a hiccup.
You also mentioned a Springer TRP one of the best 1911's I carry 3315 rds 100% and also completely stock.
The 1911's I have had problems with on a continual basis is Kimbers:dunno:.

ArmoryDoc
06-14-2010, 09:54
I would carry the Delta Elite with no reservation but my current carry is "lighter and smaller". The Delta Elite is a very good gun and hits like a freight train.

http://www.kscch.com/Colt_Delta.jpg

agtman
06-14-2010, 17:39
Hi all

How many of you would trust your life to a colt delta elite for a carry weapon?:supergrin:

Well, ... this one meets all of the items on MWinter's list for duty use or CCW, and then some. :supergrin:

Custom Delta Elite, by Master Pistolsmith Vic Tibbets.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/10mm-1.jpg

Actually, it runs 100% with or without a FLGR, so take your pick.

:cool:

Mwinter
06-14-2010, 17:50
agt,
Have I mentioned lately that you suck? :) I've drooled over that Tibbet's since you showed it on BTdotcom.

The FLGR is a preference issue for me, mainly due the need to replace the stock Colt dual-spring (esp. the early plastic plug models), ease of minor maintenance (keeps the spring captured allowing an easy "upper/lower" strip for fixes/cleaning), and the tendency of some springs (a Wolff 23lb in my case) to bend and bind a wee bit during cycling.

My preference for a 1-piece FLGR is a nicety on the .45s and 9s, but dear God it's a relief on the 10s with the heavy springs.

BOGE
06-14-2010, 18:00
Are the newer Deltas better than the first run in the 80īs? I had a buddy who had one of the run Deltas and it peened badly at around 500 rds. Of course he was shooting the pivotal 10mm Normal factory round at this time that were smokinī hot. I have just never been convinced entirely that the 1911 platform can handle a steady diet of the hot 10mm loads. Have things changed?

agtman
06-14-2010, 18:01
agt,
Have I mentioned lately that you suck? :) I've drooled over that Tibbet's since you showed it on BTdotcom.

The FLGR is a preference issue for me, mainly due the need to replace the stock Colt dual-spring (esp. the early plastic plug models), ease of minor maintenance (keeps the spring captured allowing an easy "upper/lower" strip for fixes/cleaning), and the tendency of some springs (a Wolff 23lb in my case) to bend and bind a wee bit during cycling.

My preference for a 1-piece FLGR is a nicety on the .45s and 9s, but dear God it's a relief on the 10s with the heavy springs.

Thanks! :supergrin:

Yeah, I get why some prefer the FLGR. I ran it that way for a long time.

Then, just to try it out, I switched over to a stock "GI set-up," using a plug, guide and the 22lb Wolff spring I'd used with the FLGR. Runs with no issues.

agtman
06-14-2010, 18:07
Are the newer Deltas better than the first run in the 80īs? I had a buddy who had one of the run Deltas and it peened badly at around 500 rds. Of course he was shooting the pivotal 10mm Normal factory round at this time that were smokinī hot. I have just never been convinced entirely that the 1911 platform can handle a steady diet of the hot 10mm loads. Have things changed?

The answer is: if they're set up right to handle full-power 10mm ammo, a 10mm 1911 will handle it fine and run well.

Many late 80s Deltas - especially the post-1988 frame-modified DEs which eliminated the so-called "cracking" issues - ran fine, even completely stock ones. Personally, I'd still have ditched Colt's goofy double-recoil spring set-up and plastic plug for a steel plug/guide and a (single) Wolff XP spring.

FWIW, Master Pistolsmith Heinie has a stock DE he claims is over something like 10,000-rds of high-performance 10mm, although he does say he checks the springs and internals at regular intervals and changes stuff out as needed.

:cool:

paul45
06-14-2010, 18:11
I have had 3 Deltas and 1 Colt Match 10. All 4 worked as intended, without the need for "requirements".

BK63
06-14-2010, 18:35
I have a stainless Colt Delta Elite that was left to me in a will. I put about 500 rounds through it with no problems what so ever. The only issue is finding the 10mm ammo so I have reloaded some for it but mostly I just rub it with a diaper. I enjoy the gun and remember the good friend that left it to me, but it's a bit big and heavy for me to carry. I do enjoy shooting it though and would trust my life with it. It has functioned flawlessly for me.

bac1023
06-14-2010, 19:39
Hi all

The Delta is a reliable 1911.

remat
06-17-2010, 00:12
Guess I have had better luck than others. In the pic below is a 2009 Delta and a DW CBOB in 10mm. Both ran perfectly out of the box and are completely stock.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/4023531741_a3f214d95b.jpg

Heck, the Delta even runs perfectly with a fit 40S&W barrel, 18# spring and stock mags :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4372046414_26cbc4f80f.jpg

agtman
06-22-2010, 06:12
Guess I have had better luck than others. In the pic below is a 2009 Delta and a DW CBOB in 10mm. Both ran perfectly out of the box and are completely stock.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/4023531741_a3f214d95b.jpg

Heck, the Delta even runs perfectly with a fit 40S&W barrel, 18# spring and stock mags :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4372046414_26cbc4f80f.jpg

That's a great set-up, Remat! :cool:

cdunn
06-22-2010, 14:59
I carried a Delta Elite for a couple years,I still have it,well my dad has it right now,anyway I'm very happy with it I use wilson mags. it has had very little work done to it,refinish, trigger work,barrel work,ejection port,all new springs not long ago.I carried with black talons and norma ammo,I like aiming right at the 100yrd. gong.1.5" drop @ 100 yrds.
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/ca_dunn/DSCN8447-1.jpg

Tactical black
06-22-2010, 15:51
I would love to shoot the Delta Elite hopfully I get around to buying one sometime.

CMG
06-23-2010, 11:38
Trust one?

Sure.

Carry one?

Nope. I simply don't like full size guns for concealed carry.

Cerebrus
06-23-2010, 11:49
My wife loves hers.. when she was still bar tending the Delta rode in her purse every night.. She figured that it could be used as an attention getter first.. as in a quick pistol whip before she actually would have had to shoot some one..
Lets just say it was not a high class establishment..and she no longer works there..

Tactical black
06-23-2010, 13:51
I will make sure too never piss off your wife the last thing I want is to be pistol wiped with a Delta Elite then shot with the angry fist of god. :wow:

ArmoryDoc
06-23-2010, 21:14
My wife loves hers.. when she was still bar tending the Delta rode in her purse every night.. She figured that it could be used as an attention getter first.. as in a quick pistol whip before she actually would have had to shoot some one..
Lets just say it was not a high class establishment..and she no longer works there..

Your wife worked in a bar and carried a Colt Delta Elite in her purse ??? I almost bet when she speaks in your household, everyone listens. INTENTLY. :rofl:

Two Guns
06-23-2010, 21:36
Hi all

I do,I carried one for a couple of years.