fiber optic or solid black front sight? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fiber optic or solid black front sight?

CORDY
06-14-2010, 13:35
i have a g34 that i shoot in uspsa production class, i just installed a set of warren/sevigny competition sights with a fiber optic front sight. my question is would a solid black sight be a better option? the (glock) armor here close to me put the fiber optic in but when he melted it in he must of heated it to much because the front of the fiber optic is about 3 times the size it should be. its about as big as the front post. should i try to install a new fiber in the sight or just order a all black metal front sight?

PEC-Memphis
06-14-2010, 13:53
How old are you? Do you shoot both indoors and outdoors?

Many owners of older eyes like FO sights better than all black.

It makes more difference in lower light.

I'm ~50 and prefer the FO sights - indoors and out.

Some of the shooters in their 20's & 30's prefer all black.

CORDY
06-14-2010, 14:28
iam 27 and i shoot outdoors. why do the younger guys like myself like the all black sights?

AZBru88
06-14-2010, 14:33
I shoot TruGlo FO's love them(just put them on the other day, going on all my Glocks). Just ordered another set. I went ahead and bought the tool and do them myself! Easy as pie to put on. I'm dealing with pretty old and tired eye's, so the FO's work great for me. The contrast of red front, green rears, really helps. I can pick them up very quickly. I liked the Tru Glo's because of the construction, and protection of the fiber rods. Just my 2 cents, just started shooting them, about 500 rounds down the pipe since I put them on. My 18 year old granddaughter liked them also.

AZBru88
06-14-2010, 14:37
Cody you might want to check out Amer Glo web site (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/fiber-optic/front-sights). They have Red FO fronts for $25, cheap way to try them out. Screw on type so easy to do yourself.

W4CNG
06-14-2010, 14:50
I have been using Red FO Front sights from several different folks on my various guns for the last 15 years. Yes I was an early adopter and also tried Green FO tubes. I have Ghost Ring rears on about half of my guns. Outside the FO tubes light up very well and indoors the current vintage work better than a couple of my older ones. Nice way to go.

AZson
06-14-2010, 19:00
Red or true yellow fiber optic I find the best.

cysoto
06-15-2010, 12:40
i have a g34 that i shoot in uspsa production class, i just installed a set of warren/sevigny competition sights with a fiber optic front sight. my question is would a solid black sight be a better option? the (glock) armor here close to me put the fiber optic in but when he melted it in he must of heated it to much because the front of the fiber optic is about 3 times the size it should be. its about as big as the front post. should i try to install a new fiber in the sight or just order a all black metal front sight?
I have tried them both and, though I currently have a fiber optic front sight on my G17, I have a slight preference for black-on-black sights.

It really all comes down to personal preference. In my case, I feel that the FO is sometimes a bit distracting. Having said that, I will also add that the FO front sight is easier to acquire; especially when you are bringing your gun up.

I made the same mistake as your gunsmith with the first FO rod I installed. The light that was being captured was so bright that I would get a ghosting image around the front blade. I will certainly recommend that you reinstall the FO rod on your pistol and this time only melt it enough so that it will remain in place.

On a separate note, I am happy to read on one of your other posts that you have decided to purchase and install a Production-Legal Trigger!! :thumbsup:

Duck of Death
06-15-2010, 13:48
*QUOTE*
Red or true yellow fiber optic I find the best.

Color preference is subjective, red smears for me--I like green.

HK Dan
06-15-2010, 15:13
I'm 47 and I strongly prefer black front sights. I removed and replaced all of my fiber optic front sights with Warrens. I just couldn't shoot a decent group with the fiber optic front sight, and it did nothing for my speed. (What helps your speed is to get your draw and grip nailed)

Hugo R
06-15-2010, 15:20
I found that when I turned 46 or 47 I really needed something more than just black sights. When the nightsights on my 2nd Gen G17 died I switched to a red front FO sight and I immediately saw a huge difference in speed of acquisition and pin point accuracy.

Of course, everybody is different. I tried someone else's before I switched. Good luck on your choice.

HR:cool:

PEC-Memphis
06-15-2010, 15:58
iam 27 and i shoot outdoors. why do the younger guys like myself like the all black sights?

Better eyes.

(Very generalized statement)

Wash-ar15
06-15-2010, 16:44
plain rear and dot front.

CORDY
06-15-2010, 18:05
thanks everyone for your recommendations. i cut off the fiber optic front that my armor installed and installed a green fiber optic myself and it turned out great. i have a match in two weeks so iam going to see how i like them.

cysoto
06-15-2010, 19:23
Just a little trick that I picked up along the way... If you ever want to try shooting a black-on-black sight set, instead of changing the front blade, you can always remove the FO rod and "plug" the hole with a black plastic bristle like those typically found in any black broom. They melt just as easy and the FO and, if you don't care for it, you can easily switch back to your fiber optic.

BTW, green is a good choice for your front sight. Red is normally perceived as "brighter" but green is easier to see. The only time this is not the case is if your home range had vegetation on or around its berms. If so, you may have some trouble focusing on the dot. Having said that I will also add this... Don't be mesmerized by the FO dot. Remember that your pistol's point of impact is (most likely) atop the front blade, not behind the dot.

PEC-Memphis
06-15-2010, 23:16
J....If you ever want to try shooting a black-on-black sight set, instead of changing the front blade, you can always remove the FO rod and "plug" the hole with a black plastic bristle like those typically found in any black broom.

Nice tip...

RayB
06-17-2010, 13:57
They're faster, at least with healthy eyes in adequate light they are!

Human eyes have two primary receptor cells--cones and rods.

The cones, working with the brain, perceive color.

The rods, working with the brain, discern contrast, shadow, and movement.

In the fear-threat mode, the human eye-brain sees contrast, shadow and movement, faster than anything else; this includes our peripheral vision.

In low light, the human eye-brain sees the contrast, shadow, and movement components of vision, first and best.

By faster, we're talking fractions of seconds. But when we're talking survival and serious competition, those fractions of seconds can make all the difference!

But black iron sights are of little use in near darkness… Enter tritium night sights!

At my age, the fiber optic serves me best too! In fact, I found that I could spin a fiber optic rod to produce a Big Dot (see attached) for my front sight!

I use Dawson Precision FO Adj Rear Sights for my dedicated target gun--a 3rd Gen G17. The front is a FO and the rear is serrated, plain black. That front FO really pops in that plain black sight notch! The serrations do mitigate glare.

I shoot indoors, and I prefer yellow shooting glasses. With the range's fluorescent lighting and the yellow glasses, the red FO dot works best for me. :freak:

--Ray

P.S. Our G19 and G21 SD/HD guns wear Trijicons and Meprolights, respectively.

DannyR
06-17-2010, 16:24
Cordy,

I've tried many, many types of sights, and right now, what works best for me and my 66 year old eyes is the new AmeriGlo GH-431's--a dayglo/orange painted front and wide notch black rear. They are equal to fiber optics in daylight and far superior to fiber optics at the indoor range.

RayB
06-17-2010, 17:58
Cordy,

I've tried many, many types of sights, and right now, what works best for me and my 66 year old eyes is the new AmeriGlo GH-431's--a dayglo/orange painted front and wide notch black rear. They are equal to fiber optics in daylight and far superior to fiber optics at the indoor range.

These look good! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind trying these next! ;)

--Ray