CRKT... My last try. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CRKT... My last try.

green marauder
06-14-2010, 17:01
I just got my 3rd and 4th replacement knives from CRKT for ones that broke. The first one was a McGinnis Tuition which the lock broke on in less than 6 months; they let me replace it with a Lake Thunderbolt 2. On that one the holes for the pocket clip were stripped they were very nice about it and told me to send it back and I could get another one or anything else and pay the difference. I picked the MT. Whitney which looked like a sturdy one. While I was waiting I did a review of the first two on their website it wasnít a good one and they didnít post it so after a few days I sent an e-mail asking if they only posted the good reviews, a few hours later I got an e-mail back and they wanted to send me my choice of an M16 or an M21-02 (which they call their bread and butter models) for all my troubles I picked the M21 I guess we'll see how they work out. I not sure about their products yet but with their great service I'm willing to give them one more chance. Wish me luck. :dunno:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/Glock-N/newKnives010.jpg

Richard Simmons
06-15-2010, 07:20
Good luck. I've never bought anything of theirs and probably never will. They have some decent stuff but I've just read too many reports of issues to take the chance.

para40
06-15-2010, 07:24
Emerson knives. :cool:

crash09
06-15-2010, 07:33
Good luck. I had a Mt. Whitney for about a week. Still have the scar on my leg from the one of about two dozen times it opened on its own while inside my pocket. :wow: CRKT makes some good knives, but the Summit serires aren't among them. I traded mine for an M-16 and haven't looked back. The M-16 and M-21 serires do not have the problem and the M-16 is my EDC.

tripton
06-17-2010, 07:40
I've never been overly impressed with anything CRKT. For the range they are in, its pretty easy to find better knives that are made in the USA.

If you really want a Taiwan made knife, get a Rat-1. It will hold it's own against any CRKT.

Mjames
06-17-2010, 08:08
I have carried a M16-01K EDC for about 3 years. Never had a problem.

Jason D
06-17-2010, 18:07
I like the M16-13 models, but I hate CRKT's blade edge.
I takes a lot of work on the blade to get it to sharpen like a normal knife.

NeverMore1701
06-18-2010, 16:53
I've been EDCing and abusing an M21-04 for about 3 years now, no problems at all. About once a year I'll take it apart and replace the teflon and brass washers, and they always send them to me at no charge.

bithabus
06-18-2010, 17:00
If this one breaks tell them you want a Hissatsu with assisted open. That's a good knife.

itstime
06-18-2010, 17:14
Can't ***** too much with that kind of service though. Sooner or later you'll get a keeper. That being said, they aren't trust your life with kind of knives. But for everyday, hey why not, at least they atan behind them.

Jason D
06-18-2010, 18:04
CRKT is great on customer service.
Even going to far as to have a spare part order form on their website.

Dennis in MA
06-18-2010, 21:40
Never been a fan. They flex too danged much - scares the crap outta me.

I got a $15 M16-13Z and fooled around with another M16 a buddy used to carry. Not comforting at all.

And they are a bear to open swiftly. The thumbstud is buried in the plastic handle. Grrrr.

Travclem
06-18-2010, 21:42
If these break, get an Emerson because it won't.

green marauder
06-18-2010, 23:51
Never been a fan. They flex too danged much - scares the crap outta me.

I got a $15 M16-13Z and fooled around with another M16 a buddy used to carry. Not comforting at all.

And they are a bear to open swiftly. The thumbstud is buried in the plastic handle. Grrrr.

I know that M16, my son got one 2 years ago at walmart and your rite its a totaly different knife compaired to the M21-02 it has NO plastic

glockerbob
06-19-2010, 00:08
had my m16 awhile and no complaints here

harleyfx69
06-19-2010, 00:13
Emerson knives. :cool:

they have problems too..

not impressed by the knives, but am impressed with the people and customer service

green marauder
06-19-2010, 06:30
CRKT is great on customer service.
Even going to far as to have a spare part order form on their website.

Yep and their all at no charge just call them and tell them what you need.

voyager4520
06-19-2010, 06:38
I've never owned any of their folding knives, but I have a fixed "Stealth First Strike" that's an awesome EDC blade for $20. They don't sell it anymore. The only downside of it is that it has a pretty thin tang, but for $20 I can't complain.

citori59
06-19-2010, 13:51
I've had an M16 for a little over 6 years. I use a knife very hard and have never had a problem. In fact I've been given spydercos and sogs but they just don't look like they will stand up to the abuse I've put my M16 through.

repoman1984
06-19-2010, 14:14
I've carried the Bull and M16 for a long time I like them both a lot. The M16 I abused the snot out of as its my work knife and it gave out after 3 years of daily use. The bull has been my "pretty" knife for about 2 years now.

H&K 4 LIFE
06-19-2010, 16:05
I carried a M16-13z for maybe 5-6 years before recently switching to the their M21-G with the Veff serrations. I have zero complaints about their products and they always resharpen to a razor edge.

When my brother lost the pocket clip on his, I called CRKT and they sent a free clip in the mail with the screws.

...And they are a bear to open swiftly. The thumbstud is buried in the plastic handle. Grrrr.

I don't use the thumb stud ever, I use the flipper and it's lightening quick. :cool:

Jason D
06-19-2010, 16:22
I carried a M16-13z for maybe 5-6 years before recently switching to the their M21-G with the Veff serrations. I have zero complaints about their products and they always resharpen to a razor edge.

When my brother lost the pocket clip on his, I called CRKT and they sent a free clip in the mail with the screws.

I don't use the thumb stud ever, I use the flipper and it's lightening quick. :cool:

I always use the flipper.
Works just as fast as an assisted opener, and cheap autos.

Truffle8Shuffle
06-19-2010, 16:34
I've had a My Tighe (My Tie) as my EDC now for about 3 years and couldn't be happier.

http://www.crkt.com/cgi-bin/crkt.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=81&prrfnbr=11&sesent=0,0&search_id=307894 It's the all black one with the fancy serrations in the second picture.

mitchshrader
06-19-2010, 17:57
I dissed 'clicker' knives till I got the M16. I now own 7 M16's, from the cheapest to the most expensive. I won't be changing my EDC anytime soon, and I'm really sorry that some folks have trouble sharpening asymmetrical edges. Must be frustrating to lack a relevant skill.

I'm a tightwad. A CHINTZY tightwad. I own D2 steel knives of several varieties because I got 'em at lowball prices for quality results, and won't be giving up any of my D2 blades.

I got M16's because they open reliably and quickly, resharpen easily and take a razor edge, and cost less than they're worth. I paid from 25-50$ for the whole range they make, FRN handles with AUS4 blades for 25-30$, and the nifty titanium with AUS8 steel for 50 (LNIB/used).

They really don't suck. They're not a hard use knife, and won't do prybar jobs, or screwdriver jobs, or hammer jobs. They will, if maintained moderately, CUT. Not eventually, now. That's worth having for what it cost me. However YOU decide what knife to buy isn't up to me. I can happily recommend the 'blem' Kershaw Junkyard Dawg II as a hard use folder, G10 and D2 composite, 45$ and you won't find more folder for the money anywhere. It's not quite as fast to flip open as the M16, but close. The steel's better, the G10 is hard to gripe at, it's bigger, and for a cheap folder there's value leaking out between your fingers.

It's a different job description, different design, and different manufacturer.

The M16 still don't suck. The M21 is the M16 on steroids, not what *I* want 7 copies of, but that's cause it gets out of the specs for what I DO want.

And seven copies isn't unusual, really. I've got 5 copies of an Ek dagger, and 6 boning knives, and smaller multiples on various others at various times. If it FITS, I stock up.

The belt I'm wearing I made, 15+ years ago, and it's just getting broke in good. Probably has another half of its lifespan left. I made a spare the day I made it, and started on another spare this year. Hard to get leather that good, and I found some. So I'll have 2 spares, of a belt that shows every sign of lasting as long as I will.

Just in case. :) Sometimes I get knives like that, too.