loading die for XTP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : loading die for XTP

Mountain10mm
06-16-2010, 06:53
Given that Hornady decided to stop making 200gr. bullets in .400" (so I've heard and lack of availabilty supports), I've decided to use 180grain bullets. The XTP has a great reputation for penetration and retaining its weight. The problem is my reloading dies (the seater die) flattens or deforms the HP cavity slightly, especially with Starline Brass. Another GT member provide details on making a custom seater die with expoxy and it works, but I'm looking for a more permanent situation. What brand seater dies do you use with XTP bullets? Do they flatten the HP of the XTP? (My dies are RCBS and I have three different seater dies, two for FMJ and one for round nose - none solve the problem.)

Another option is switch bullets, which I'm open too. I've thought about swithing bullets to Speer Gold Dots, but I don't know about their weight retention/penetration characteristics and they are VERY hard to find. Remington makes a HP too, but again, I don't know about it's reputation in 10mm. I am looking for a "woods" defense load for black bear and mountain lion. I would like high weight retention and penetration - and it has to be a hollow point as some states do not allow FMJ to be carried during hunting seasons. I also want to shoot it out of a stock G20. I don't want hard cast lead either.

Thanks.

_The_Shadow
06-16-2010, 14:31
RCBS seater plug is cut to fit their Gold Dot & TC profile of bullets.
I load with RCBS dies(1990) and use the TC seated plug...it leaves a small line(looks like a shinny circle) below the seration cuts of the 200XTP's. The seater plug makes contact there which to leave that shinny mark. This is more predominate with compressed loads of AA#9. This plug works well for all other bullets even my cast Lyman 175gr TCBB and 156gr Devastators HP also the RCBS 175gr TC SWC. I have the round nose plug but rarely use it for the 10mm and 40S&W applications.

I do expand the case mouths to just accept the bullets base and seat and taper crimp in seperate steps which helps everything go much smoother.

I am tempted to get a 1/4" x 20 grade 8 bolt and shape it to fit inside the hollow point cavity to push at the bottom of the cavity to seat the bullets and to elimenate the slight mark I am getting on mine. Might see if I can open up the hollow point some for the heck of it!

Best regards!

SimonovsDog
06-16-2010, 18:55
I use the Redding Dies. When I first started using them, they left a ring on the bullet. I used some polishing compound to clean up the sharp edge. Now they work great. I load 155gr-180gr XTPs, 165gr Golden Sabers, and all Gold Dot bullets with no problem.

preventec47
06-17-2010, 04:41
I will be using XTP 155gr and the LEE seater
die and I expect that the same problem will jump
up and bite me.
Lee says that for 8 bucks they will make a custom
seater die profile if you send a sample bullet.

I wonder if they would consider the idea of
shaping it to fit the inside of the hollow point
and pushing the bullet in from inside the hollow
as Shadow suggested?

Mountain10mm
06-17-2010, 05:17
For $8 a custom seater die seems to be the way to go. Who do I talk to at Lee, or do I send them my existing dies and they modify them?

I don't know if using the cavity in the hollow point would be a good idea. Lead is softer than copper and right now it seems we are all having problems bending/flattening or leaving marks on the copper. With current seater-die designs, the load required to seat the bullet is spread out on the exterior perimeter of the bullet, concentrating all that load into a small spot which bears on lead, seems like it would only lead to more deformation.

Thanks.

Atomic Punk
06-17-2010, 06:16
i think i had the same problem you are having. the die was leaving a small circle just below the expansion score marks. it was collapsing the hp cavity a bit and really looked weird. it happened more with new starline brass but was still leaving a slight mark on the older brass too.
i called hornady and they offered to polish the part of the die that push's the bullet to match the bullet exactly. apologized for the problem in the first place and got the new piece all shipped free and very quickly.
worked perfect when i got the new piece.

preventec47
06-17-2010, 07:37
For $8 a custom seater die
seems to be the way to go. Who do I talk to at Lee, or do I
send them my existing dies and they modify them?
I don't know if using the cavity in the hollow point would
be a good idea.
----------------------
I would just call LEE customer service for detail instructions.
These are directions that come with all their die sets.
All you have to do is send a bullet that you would like
them to create the "setter punch" that will mirror the
bullet profile. They dont need your die but to avoid
any problems I might include a note of what caliber it is.

The internal component of the seater die that is
called I think the setter punch for the .10mm die is about
the same length at two cold capsules and the diameter is
almost as big as the bullet diameter. I took mine out and
through examination found it to be a very simple component.
It is basically a short steel rod in a perfect sleeve fit
inside the seater die. And I almost forgot, it
has a little rim on it just like a bullet casing that prevents
the "punch" from falling out the bottom of the die.

Maybe if Lee could send some rod blanks I
would experiment with making some of
my own profiles to seat the bullets with.
The easiest would be to make the internal
profile for the hollow points. What I would
do is chuck the rod in in a drill press and
shape the end with a metal file as the
rod rotated in the drill.

Ask em about the internal hollow point
internal push idea. Hollow points have
been around a long time and I doubt
it is a new idea to them.

Actually I might think that they would have
a collection of the most popular bullets like
the Hornady XTPs and we shouldnt even
have to send a bullet.

Taterhead
06-19-2010, 15:20
For 180 XTPs, I've had no issues with my RCBS T/C dies except when seating and crimping in the same step. A moderate bell and crimping in a separate step has provided great results. No deformation of the bullet.

Maine1
07-07-2010, 23:20
I emailed Hornady the other day, they have NOT stopped making 200 gr 10mm XTP's. They are just a bit behind, the tech said its one of their better selling calibers.

Mountain10mm
07-08-2010, 08:03
I emailed Hornady the other day, they have NOT stopped making 200 gr 10mm XTP's. They are just a bit behind, the tech said its one of their better selling calibers.

That's great news. I have a good 200gr. FMJ/XTP load that I can keep using, though I'll probably use 180 XTPs most of the time as the load is much more pleasant to shoot. The Glock seems to like 180 grain bullets better too. The hot 200 grain loads sometimes caused a failure to feed.

Thanks for contacting Hornady for us.

jeffreybehr
07-08-2010, 11:50
I'm using the standard Lee .40S&W/10mm seating die and stem, and they do not mark or deform the XTP 155. Maybe you can find one of them.