Ruger 22/45 MKIII Wood Grips [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 22/45 MKIII Wood Grips

miatank
06-16-2010, 16:49
I saw the pistol at a gun show this past weekend. After the first look I walked around some more but found myself going back to Mike's table. I bought a LCP and LCR from him last December so he quoted a good price.
Some questions for the MKIII experts. Does the pistol like any specific ammo? SV or HV? Does the aftermarket make extended mags like they have for the 10/22? Any other tips, hints or tricks?

dave - now to get to the range :cool:

Simon6101
06-16-2010, 16:58
Mine eats Federal 550 bulk pack without any hiccups. There are no extended mags for these that I know of. Ramline used to make a 12 rounder for the regular Ruger pistol

Glock 17L
06-16-2010, 17:27
Congrats on the Ruger!!
My MKII likes the Federal 550 value pack from Wal-Mart, when you can find it..
I'd start with a brick of that & see..
Also that's a newer MKIII 22/45 as it has the 1911 style grips, those were only released a few months ago..
Looks Very Sporty!!

98_1LE
06-16-2010, 17:33
I relied on rugerforum also, but mine likes Fed 550 and CCI SV.

Best mod you can do to it is a Clark hammer bushing and sear pin (CLK517 IIRC). It eliminates the mag disconnect, and eliminates most of the creep from the trigger. If you want lighter, a Volquartsen sear is good, and the ability to adjust out most of the pre-travel and all of the post-travel the Volquartsen trigger.

No one makes high cap Ruger pistol mags that I am aware of.

BK63
06-16-2010, 19:46
My MKII eats everything for 20 years now. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of ammo it is. It's a Ruger so you should be good.

Jason D
06-17-2010, 18:12
My MKIII would choke on everything, until I did the magazine fix by re-profiling the feed lips. I don't know if the .22/45 suffered from that, my older one didn't.

The older gun, and now the modified MKIII will feed both SV and HV ammo reliably.

PigButtons
06-18-2010, 23:43
My MkIII 22/45 will feed anything, but Thunderbolts quality is poor and I get a lot of duds (1 out of 20 or so). I polished the stock sear and trigger face and it's as good as any Volq. equipped unit that I've shot. I also installed an extra power Wolff recoil spring and now shoot Stingers without any hammering of the bolt on the bolt stop. The advantage of Stingers in a pistol is not well established but the sound is cool and the accuracy is slightly better than the Blazers in my pistol and I got them in bulk at a great price.

Mine is the old style without the replaceable grips but find it easy to shoot well even if it doesn't have the same feel as my 1911s. Everything that I've read on the new grips has been positive.

GPalmer
06-19-2010, 00:01
I've probably run 20 different brands through mine without any issues. It eats everything I throw at it and keeps on ticking.