New Grips Almost On The Way [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Grips Almost On The Way

Ruggles
06-16-2010, 17:26
http://www.danchinnock.com/1911-ivory-grips.htm

I have been waiting for the right set of these Mammoth ivory 1911 grips to appear for sale on this sight. I finally decided they "almost" had what I wanted and I contacted Dan with a question about the thickness of the grips compared to standard 1911 grips. Dan replied with a very informative email and actually apologized for being what he called "long winded" when all he was doing was giving me great details on my question.

At that point I thought "what great customer service" and asked him in a reply email if he had any solid light colored grips he had not listed yet on his site. He replied that he had a new tusk he was going to start cutting in a couple of days that should produce the type of grips I wanted. We worked out the details and today he sent me pics of 2 sets of grips and asked which one I wanted. Again great customer service as he could have just sent me a set per our agreement but he took the time to ask me which I wanted and sent an email pics to help me decide, he even described them in text in the email as the pics look pretty much alike.

http://i46.tinypic.com/34rydfb.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2wc37k7.jpg

I choose set 2. He is going to cut them for my bobtail Kobra Carry and ship them out soon. The ivory is estimated to be between 10,000 - 15,000 years old.

In between all of this we exchanged a number of other emails joking and just talking about grips and such. Working in the customer service field I just wanted to share this story as this guy went well beyond what he had to do and deserves some recognition in my view.

As you can guess I am pretty excited to get these mounted on my 1911 and see how they handle.

Price was $238 for those interested.

I also called Wilson Combat today to order some compact .38 Super mags (for a CQB Compact). Turned out they did not have any as they are re-designing them and they are not in production at this time but soon will be. The gentleman who helped me went out of his way as well to find out this info. Again great customer service.

I just paid off my Wilson 1911 today and was trying to decide what 1911 to get next, Wilson Combat most likely just just helped me decide. If they go to that type of effort to help a customer with a couple of magazines worth $90 (when they are use to selling $2000 1911s) then I can only imagine they really do appreciate their customers.

The_Drizzle
06-17-2010, 01:29
Gotta post some pics when you get them. I think you made a good choice going with the second set.

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 01:56
I went looking on the web for a certain 38 Super Compact to buy....only to remember you bought it.

Tactical black
06-17-2010, 07:59
I went looking on the web for a certain 38 Super Compact to buy....only to remember you bought it.

Where's your Fusion have you gotten it back yet?

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 12:25
Where's your Fusion have you gotten it back yet?

Still not here. I am really starting to wonder if it will ever get here.:upeyes:

bac1023
06-17-2010, 12:25
Looking forward to the pics. :)

Congrats! :cool:

Tactical black
06-17-2010, 12:41
Still not here. I am really starting to wonder if it will ever get here.:upeyes:

I guess you already paid for it so you can't just walk away now huh?

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 12:56
I guess you already paid for it so you can't just walk away now huh?

Nope, paid in full with no chance of refund.

Hokie1911
06-17-2010, 13:01

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Tactical black
06-17-2010, 13:32
Nope, paid in full with no chance of refund.

You could always threaten a law suite that normally gets peoples attention or just email and call them every day until they start making some progress.

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 13:47
Thanks fellas. When I get it back look for a HUGE review.

Tactical black
06-17-2010, 13:50
Thanks fellas. When I get it back look for a HUGE review.

I'm looking forward ti it.

Do you have an ETA?

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 14:16
The promise for delivery on the second gun was 3 months ago.

Tactical black
06-17-2010, 15:58
The promise for delivery on the second gun was 3 months ago.

:shocked: Well hopefully soon then good luck.

Ruggles
06-17-2010, 16:58
"Gotta post some pics when you get them. I think you made a good choice going with the second set. "

Thanks. From his text description the 2nd set had a vein of white running thru the middle so that seemed kinda cool so I went with that set.

"I went looking on the web for a certain 38 Super Compact to buy....only to remember you bought it."

LOL, sorry bout that! I swear I looked at that gun online for 6 months before buying it. I thought if it lasted that long it must be destined for me. I just got 500 more rounds of .38 Super in the mail today from Ammo To Go, that makes 950 (850 FMJs & 100 JHPs) total I have on hand waiting for the Wilson. I sent the last payment into Gunslinger yesterday for the Wilson so I hope to have the gun late next week or so. Only problem with a compact .38 Super is finding flush fit magazines it seems. Well that and finding Winchester Silvertips JHP in stock anywhere :)

I will post pics of the new grips after I mount them on the Kobra Carry.

I seemed to have missed the issue with the Fusion 1911 but it seems there is something amiss there. Was there a thread about it?

Tactical black
06-17-2010, 17:08
I'm looking forward to the pics when you get it.

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 17:47
"Gotta post some pics when you get them. I think you made a good choice going with the second set. "

Thanks. From his text description the 2nd set had a vein of white running thru the middle so that seemed kinda cool so I went with that set.

"I went looking on the web for a certain 38 Super Compact to buy....only to remember you bought it."

LOL, sorry bout that! I swear I looked at that gun online for 6 months before buying it. I thought if it lasted that long it must be destined for me. I just got 500 more rounds of .38 Super in the mail today from Ammo To Go, that makes 950 (850 FMJs & 100 JHPs) total I have on hand waiting for the Wilson. I sent the last payment into Gunslinger yesterday for the Wilson so I hope to have the gun late next week or so. Only problem with a compact .38 Super is finding flush fit magazines it seems. Well that and finding Winchester Silvertips JHP in stock anywhere :)

I will post pics of the new grips after I mount them on the Kobra Carry.

I seemed to have missed the issue with the Fusion 1911 but it seems there is something amiss there. Was there a thread about it?

Ruggles, finally when I decided to buy that gun.....you had already bought it.:tongueout:

I love the 38 Super CCO platform.

Fusion sent me a complete mess of a gun, just a wreck in all facets, after over twice the time promised. At first they wouldn't do anything about it. Then they decided they would ( after I started posting pics). Promised me a late February delivery on the new gun....that was a while ago.

Rinspeed
06-17-2010, 18:09

I heard they were sending some guns to Kimber for them to work on. :rofl: :tongueout:

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 18:42
I heard they were sending some guns to Kimber for them to work on. :rofl: :tongueout:

That would be a HUGE positive at this point, Kimber's fit and finish is vastly superior. And maybe their C&S and parts usage.:steamed:

Ruggles, sorry for the hi-jack. Anyhoo, I never have liked that sort of grip, but after saying that...I'd definitely own that pair!

Ruggles
06-17-2010, 19:16
No worry about the "hi-jack" I am just surprised that Fusion stuck it to you like that, I had up until now never heard anything bad about them. Thanks for sharing the info, I will keep that in mind next time I start thinking new 1911.