Feeding My New Little Friend... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feeding My New Little Friend...

ULVER
06-16-2010, 18:29
Just picked up one of these:
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Off_Duty_53811.html

Seriously, it's a sweet little thing. Could have spent a bit more for a Smith or the new Ruger, but I liked the Charter.

I know it's been beat to death, but just was fishing for thoughts, as what load to carry. Been ages since I carried a 2-inch .38 Special.

I'm looking at a box of Remington 158gr. "FBI loads." Still, a lot of new designs out there, that look promising. The "short barrel" Speer Gold Dot comes to mind, as does the Cor Bon DPX.

The Federal Nyclad is back, but I have seen evidence, that it goes 18+ inches, after heavy clothing. It looked great in bare jello, but we know what that's worth. :upeyes:

Just fishing for fun, on the subject. :supergrin:

hurley842002
06-16-2010, 21:09
I carry the Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P Short Barrel in my S&W 642, they have a bit of recoil to them, but nothing un-manageable. Any of the choices you listed should be good.

Berto
06-17-2010, 10:11
The 135gr Gold Dot is a solid mainstream load. It's easy to find, won't lead up your gun like FBI loads and still throws a decent weight bullet that's close to POA.
Personally, I don't care for the 110 DPX load, it's too light and doesn't hit near the advertised velocity...and shoots low.

fredj338
06-17-2010, 12:53
The 135gr Gold Dot is a solid mainstream load. It's easy to find, won't lead up your gun like FBI loads and still throws a decent weight bullet that's close to POA.
Personally, I don't care for the 110 DPX load, it's too light and doesn't hit near the advertised velocity...and shoots low.
IMO< non of the "new" light bullet loads hit close to POA/POI. The old 158gr+P LSWCHP still works & usually hits POA. Is cheap & easy to reproduce w/ 158grLSWC. I'm not sure how many +P rounds the CharterArms will be able to handle. BB makes a non+P version that is quite good.

Berto
06-19-2010, 18:42
IMO< non of the "new" light bullet loads hit close to POA/POI. The old 158gr+P LSWCHP still works & usually hits POA. Is cheap & easy to reproduce w/ 158grLSWC. I'm not sure how many +P rounds the CharterArms will be able to handle. BB makes a non+P version that is quite good.

Total agreement.:supergrin:

ULVER
06-19-2010, 20:18

I like BB's products. I lucked into receiving some of their hard-cast wadcutter loads. Wish they had been the 158gr. LHP. The wadcutters hit hard, but after some research I discovered they will give a couple feet of penetration! :shocked:

Wish I could find some shooting results, for the Speer "short barrel" Gold Dot.