Hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

EL COLONEL
06-16-2010, 18:56
............with the new winchester power max bonded rifle bullets , opinions good or bad , pros and cons if any body has used them as they are only about a year old or so , any info welcomed , Thanx.........................:wavey:

EL COLONEL
06-17-2010, 19:33
Nobody use this bonded bullet yet ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,:dunno:

EL COLONEL
06-18-2010, 16:43
some body ?

EL COLONEL
06-19-2010, 19:47
Power max anyone ?............................:wavey:

EL COLONEL
06-20-2010, 13:48
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................:whistling:

vafish
06-21-2010, 06:36
For our little eastern white tailed deer I have never seen a need for premium bonded bullets.

The plain old jacketed soft points work just fine and cost a lot less.

EL COLONEL
06-21-2010, 06:49
Vafish , Thanx,,,,,

EL COLONEL
06-23-2010, 07:51
Anyone , To me it seems like a power point or core lockt but with less lead , like a cross between a soft point and a gmx bullet...............:dunno::dunno:

EL COLONEL
06-25-2010, 14:04
:yawn::yawn:Hello....................................

noway
06-28-2010, 17:00
Depends on what your hunting. I can tell you this from experience, you don't need a premium box of bullets on more NA deer size animals and that includes WT-deer, mule-deer or lopes.

Unless your planning to hunt ELK or larger, I find a box of regular STP winchester in 30-08 or 308win to be cheap and effective deer ghost makers ;)

EL COLONEL
06-29-2010, 11:29
no way , thanx..................................................:wavey:

CanyonMan
06-29-2010, 12:22
Vafish and noway gave ya true advice. For plain old deer and deer size critters, Remington pointed soft point, or core -lokt any of the plain jane lead tiped basics work fine. Dang, just an old 30-30 or 35 remington (one of my favorites) with fodder off the old general store shelf will be all ya need for deer. Antelope are no harder to kill, BUT you may have to take a long shot. I know out here and back home in Okla. Some of our shots depending on how bad you want the 'specific" lope your after can go 300/600 yards easy, so these two lever guns (above) ain't much use to ya then. I use a 7mm Rem Mag for everthing I hunt (pretty much). Sometimes other guns, 'but point is' this is my baby. Totally way to much for deer, but it is my do all gun so I load down quite a bit sometimes when shooting deer with it.

It just don't take an expencive designer fancy pakaged well marketed bullet, to kill anything ! Heavier game, use a heavier bullet of good construction. Deer ? A 100gr bullet (properly placed as all should be) from a 243/6mm, I have brought down a plenty with that over the years when the urge struck to walk out the door with it.

Not saying you are, but amigo don't get to all caught up in the 'what's best syndrome'. Heck I just sent my brother out last year on a mulie hunt in Colo. I set him up with a 270 and 150gr Remington Core-lockt. No sweat.

You'll be fine. Take your time, you'll get a more harmonious out come ! :supergrin:

Good hunting

CanyonMan