History of HG self defense...Know this one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : History of HG self defense...Know this one?

Maine1
06-16-2010, 21:09
Mas,

I remember hearing about an incident in the 1860's or thereabouts where three miners were ambushed by several people, two being killed outright, while the last, an older gentleman, fought on with deliberation. Taking careful shot with two revolvers, he killed most of his attackers, then finished a final attacker with his bowei knife.
I'd like to get the full story on this, but do not know the man's name, location, true year, ect. I believe i saw a blurb about it on the History channel.

Does this ring any bells with you? They refered to it as "the greatest act of civvilian self defense on record" or something similar.

Mas Ayoob
06-16-2010, 21:48
Maine1, I recall reading about an incident like the one you describe, a while back in one of the Western history magazines. I believe it was either Old West or Wild West. A phone call or email to both magazines should turn it up in the archives of one or the other. I want to say it happened in Northern California, but memory is the first thing to go...:crying:

You might also post your question here, perhaps in Tactics and Training. I suspect there are Western history buffs on Glock Talk with sharper memories than mine.

It would be great if you could share your findings with the rest of us here.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Mas

Maine1
06-17-2010, 18:52
Thanks Mas, I'll see if i can track it down. I'll let you know what i find.