FN Self-loading Police shotgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FN Self-loading Police shotgun?

NRA_guy
06-17-2010, 05:37
Does anybody own an FN "Self-loading Police" shotgun?

LINK (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF005&gid=FNG002&mid=FNM0018)

I kind of want a short (18-inch) barreled 12-gauge semiautomatic shotgun.

I don't like pistol grips on shotguns.

I am not crazy about the sights on the FN, but there are not many models around.

Stoeger makes one, but I am not sure about their workmanship.

WellArmedSheep
06-17-2010, 07:36
I have one- the 22" Mk1 version- and it's fantastic.

The sights on 18" version are not bad, and can be pretty fast.

frankr
06-17-2010, 07:45
Thought you may find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDPB_3Y5Nws

jlpskydive
06-17-2010, 07:57
I have the 22" MK I version as well and it's an amazing shoty!!

jlpskydive
06-17-2010, 08:00

The guy in the video is a TOTAL IDIOT!!! You can unload the FN in the same manner. I do it all the time. And you can fire pretty much any factory round you want out of the FN with the heavy Piston. I know I do it all the time. The lighter piston supplied with the FN is for gaming and very light loads to give it total reliability. Yes the Mossy is a good Shoty, but simply does not compare to the FN. I know, I own both.

WellArmedSheep
06-17-2010, 08:14

Yeah, that guy needs to get his facts straight before making videos of himself telling untruths.

I owned a 930 SPX, and it was garbage. It wouldn't cycle anything but high brass birdshot, regardless of how clean or dirty or wet or dry it was. The triggergaurd SHATTERED while shooting slugs. It took a great deal of adjustment to get it to load all 7 shells into the magazine, and then to feed them all reliably.

I finally traded mine in toward the shotgun I should have bought in the first place- the SLP.

There's a reason the 930 is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the SLP- it's not worth as much as the SLP. After my experience with a 930 SPX I'd be hard pressed to say it's worth much of anything.

mixflip
06-17-2010, 11:16
Wow, some serious hate for the Mossberg 930 SPX? I guess I got lucky because my 930 SPX has run flawless since the day I bought it. If the 930 is "truly" a piece of junk wouldn't mine have at least had one of the many problems stated above? I am not saying its not so, I am just wondering why I dont have so much as a failure to fire with cheap WalMart bulk pack low brass ammo?

I hate to speak for others but I think Franks 930 has been flawless since day one also?

I guess if needing 2 different gas pistons in the SLP is what you want or need to run reliably then more power to ya? I wont say the 930 SPX is the better shotgun but I will say mine runs flawless so far so. Only time will tell I guess?

WellArmedSheep
06-17-2010, 11:47
I guess if needing 2 different gas pistons in the SLP is what you want or need to run reliably then more power to ya? I wont say the 930 SPX is the better shotgun but I will say mine runs flawless so far so. Only time will tell I guess?

I'm glad you're having good luck with yours, but I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone due to my first-hand experience with it.

About the gas piston thing...my SLP runs great on anything with the "light" piston in it. However, it's over-gassed for heavy loads and it could theoretically put more wear and tear on the receiver. Since my shot to slug ratio is about 50:1 I've never bothered putting the other piston in.

The one piece magazine tube on the SLP is also much more reliable. With it you don't have to worry about the follower binding on the gap between the tube and extension (it happened to me several times with the 930- I was only able to load 5 shells when it happened). On my 930 I couldn't have the extension too tight or too loose...it had to stay about a quarter-turn from tight in order to load and feed reliably.

DPris
06-17-2010, 12:01
The Mossberg I worked with fired 14 out of 15 different loads in several bird, buck & slug configurations, high & low brass, perfectly.
The 15th was a very light load that didn't produce enough oomph to cycle.

The SLP slug gun I had here did not do nearly as well across the board in cycling different loads reliably. It ran well with loads it liked, but was much pickier than the Mossberg.

Still waiting for FN to get their Tactical SLP going to see how that compares.

Denis

NRA_guy
06-17-2010, 19:13
Thanks guys. Seems like there is always a split decision on most everything, huh?

I may just take the plunge and see for myself.

Your posts were quite interesting.

frankr
06-18-2010, 02:47
As far as I’m concerned my Mossberg 930 SPX is a great shotgun for the money $650 dollars out the door. I now have around 1,500 shells through my 930 SXP most are the low brass, 100 shell value pack I get from Wal-Mart, not one malfunction. If you buy an automatic shotgun make sure it will reliable shoot the low brass target loads. If not, and it only functions with the high brass stuff, then your fun shooting will really get expensive. Good luck.

A6Gator
06-22-2010, 07:20
Since my shot to slug ratio is about 50:1 I've never bothered putting the other piston in.

Found the same thing on an SX2 Practical. Pretty much the same as the Mk I. I started using low-recoil slugs for multi-gun matches. Not sure if it still slams the receiver as much, but they're more accurate and not as punishing as regular slugs. I leave the low brass ( 1 1/8 oz or <) piston in all the time and sighted my slugs in w/the modified choke. No worries.

AKJD
06-26-2010, 02:20
I also shoot a Winchester SX2 Practical (exact same gun as the SLP) for 3Gun and with light piston in I have never had a problem with anything I've shot through it. I absolutley love the gun and since buying it my 870's and Benelli sit in the safe.

NRA_guy
06-26-2010, 06:14
I also shoot a Winchester SX2 Practical (exact same gun as the SLP) for 3Gun and with light piston in I have never had a problem with anything I've shot through it. I absolutley love the gun and since buying it my 870's and Benelli sit in the safe.

Thanks.

Looks like Winchester no longer sells the SX2.

They have an SX3 line but I don't see a "Practical":

LINK (http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=017C)

Most models I see on their web site have 26" barrels.

SUNDSVALL
07-04-2010, 22:26
Will the SLP cycle low recoil rounds?

AKJD
07-09-2010, 23:27
I've shot Federal and Remington Reduced Recoil slugs and buckshot with the light piston without problem, haven't tried with the heavy piston.