Question for Aippi. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Aippi.

james plant
06-17-2010, 09:48
I have an 870 with a 21 inch vent rib barrel and the Remchoke. My question is,What is the best Remchoke to use for Buckshot? Thanks for all the information that you have posted.I have learned a great deal from you.

vafish
06-17-2010, 10:26
I'm not Aippi,

But I can tell you the way to find the best choke for buckshot in your gun is to pattern it.

That is set up some large sheets of butcher paper and shoot at them. See what the pattern is. Try it from various distances.

Different brands of buckshot like different chokes.

It also depends upon what you want to use it for. Home defense, inside the home, it's not going to matter much, any choke is going to have a pretty tight pattern at 7 yards or less.

aippi
06-17-2010, 11:05
The Fish gave you a good answer. It most likely came with a modified tube and that is fine. If you want a more open pattern get the I/C tube, plus this puts less stress on the tube and threads and could extend the life of the barrel when being used with buckshot, slugs and other heavy loads.

james plant
06-17-2010, 11:15
Thanks for the quick replies. It did come with the modified cylinder choke.I will pattern it with the choke suggested by Aippi to compare them.

mitchshrader
06-17-2010, 13:00
more than likely improved cylinder is best for buckshot, modified is best for Foster (lead) slugs, and a rifled barrel is best for sabot slugs. Open cylinder is cheaper to manufacture but has no other virtue, except POSSIBLY with breacher loads, and it would be arguable then.