Police Trade-ins [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Police Trade-ins

aippi
06-17-2010, 13:03
This post is certain to start some debate but if you read the post before your comment the desent can be kept civil. I am only posting to give some advise to guys who are new to shotguns.
I read a lot of post about guys buying police trade in shotguns. I will state that if you know the type or model of the weapon and inspect it properly these can be a good value.
I do not recommend these weapons for guys who are new to the type or model of the weapon you are buying, unless you have 100% confidence in the seller. If you don't have an oppertunity to break it down and know what you are looking at then be prepared for problems
I am mostly talking about weapons that are traded in by Departments in which these weapons were issued. I am not talking about a personal duty weapon an LEO owned and traded in. It is my expirience that when the Officers own their duty weapons the weapons are maintained properly. Many LEO's who have bought weapons from me, tell me horror storys about the Department weapons available to them and they are buying their own to increase their chances of going home at the end of each shift.
I have found that Department trade ins are for the most part some of the most abused weapon I have seen. I do not take traded ins for this reason and have lost my A double S the few times I did. Many of these weapon are assigned to a vehicle and stay with that vehicle and are used by multiple Officers. Many of these Officers have little to no knowledge of the weapon and many of todays LEO's have no respect for the shotgun as a duty weapon and prefer rifles. For these reasons these weapons are ignored, abused and do not get the proper maintenance that most all of us give our weapons routinely. Many are Arsenal weapons that are only checked out when an Officer requst one or for Certifications and some of these weapon are in the care and custody of a guy who got assigned to Armory for his "Politics" not his ablity to maintain weapons. His idea of being the armorer is simply inventory them by writing the serial number down once a quarter.
For the guys wanting to buy one of these weapon who know the weapon, here is a great buying opertunity. You can inspect the weapon and even fire it at some of the shops that have ranges. You can point out the issues and do some "Horse Trading" and get a good deal on a weapon that you can build on. However, since most are sold "AS IS" a novice buyer can simply be buying some problems and end up spending more to bring the weapon up to service quality then if he simply had bought a new one.
I only post this because I read other post that advise "New" guys to go buy these weapons, yet, the post fails to point out the issues that could be involved if a new guy thinks that it must be a great weapon since it was being used by Police and simply buys it.
I am sure there are going to be many post of guys that got great weapons at great prices that were Department Trade ins and yes they are out there. I have had many calls from guys who did not and I end up with some of these weapons in my shop. I have been amazed at the abuse, neglect and even what I know to have been deliberate damage to these weapons. I am even more amazed that some Dealer would sell that same weapon to a guy who did not know enough about what he was buying. So if you are looking for a good deal on a used shotgun, think about this post and how important it is to go over these trade ins. If you don't know much about the shotgun take a buddy who does.
Yes, this post was inspired by an LE Trade in weapon that came in to my shop that a guy bought. the barrel is pitted beyond what I can hone out, the barrel support braising and magazine braising is cracked and this is a factory repair, the ejector housing is broken and will not secure the barrel. there is more but I am getting P****d just wrting this.
I will also tell any new buyer want his first shotgun. Buy a new basic model from any of the sporting goods or gun shops in your area. Avoid the Custom Builders and all the high end "tacti-fool" mess on some of the ones in the gun shops. Learn to shoot and maintain that weapon, then, when you are hooked on shotguns, you ahve the knowledge to know what to get next.

JBnTX
06-17-2010, 13:59
Thank You!

I'm definately buying a new one now!!!

I've read a lot of your posts and learned a great deal to help me
with the upcoming purchase of my first HD shotgun.

I'm torn between waiting for the new Remington Police model with walnut
furniture that's due in July, or buying an 870 Express now.

Based on your opinion's I've read, I'm leaning toward the 870 Express.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the 870.

aippi
06-20-2010, 01:09
If anyone questions the points I make in this thread there is a prime example right here on Glock Talk. Look at the post about "Crooked sight on 870P". That was an LE trade in and that weapon could have been in service for years.

Rawny
06-21-2010, 09:43
aippi is referring to my post (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230188) about my trade-in 870P with misaligned sights.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rawny/Sightline.jpg

My theory is that the rear sight might have been knocked off at some point, and the police armorer re-installed it incorrectly. Why no one else raised the issue before it came into my custody is anyone's guess.

The rep at Remington advised me to have it fixed at my nearest authorized repair facility free of charge. I will have time to do that some time next week.

mixflip
06-21-2010, 12:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH71VJ5c_0

Video of a Police trade in being fired and "malfunctioning". He is a gun shop salesman.

aippi
06-21-2010, 12:13
I would guess that weapon was not in service or if it was, it was not with that barrel. When the department decide to trade in the P models, officers swapped out parts and that barrel was one some guy owned and damaged himself.

Getting one of these trade ins can often mean you are getting a weapon that has been canibalized and had good parts taken out and damaged parts put in. An armorer sees an oportunity get rid of some mess laying around and takes the best off. Human nature, same as guys taking thier good tires off before they trade in a truck.

Glad Remington is doing the right thing here and repairing the barrel

David Armstrong
06-21-2010, 15:30
My 870 is a police trade-in. I started with that because I knew I was sending it off to get rebuilt. But even with that I sat down in the dealers back room and examined 25 guns before I narrowed it down to the 1 I wanted to select.

B Coyote
06-21-2010, 17:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH71VJ5c_0

Video of a Police trade in being fired and "malfunctioning". He is a gun shop salesman.

Well there's no reason to insult the poor guy... :whistling:

bc

mixflip
06-21-2010, 22:34
Lol, I just meant he probably sees alot of Police trade ins.

As for the trade ins being gutted and good parts swapped out. That does make sense.