Killer To Face .30 Caliber Firing Squad In Utah Tonight! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Killer To Face .30 Caliber Firing Squad In Utah Tonight!

ULVER
06-17-2010, 18:27
Said to be Winchester 30-30's, with 150gr. Silvertip ammunition

http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=12615582

It cracks me up, that we still have the tradition of the lone rifleman firing a blank. I think any shooter would know, if their 30-30 was a "hot" one or not.

ABNAK
06-17-2010, 18:33
I thought it was .30 Carbine? At least for Gary Gilmore.

ULVER
06-17-2010, 18:47
I thought it was .30 Carbine? At least for Gary Gilmore.

Received information that the other modern executions, were indeed 30-30's, loaded with expanding ammunition. Corrected my post.

Four of those up close & personal, should do it. I was also told in the last execution, all four rounds were within two-inches of each other.

dougader
06-17-2010, 19:48
Is this going to be televised?

JW1178
06-17-2010, 22:47
You know, if I were in his position, I would have chose the same. Lethal injection that is suspose to be so humane and all, they way they do it takes too damn long, too much drama as they pump large amounts of fluid in your veins and crap. How is dragging it out for such long periods of time, humane? It just looks nice, and leaves a good looking corpse, so they think it's so nice. Stupid liberals need to look at things how they are, not just how they want to see things. Firing squad, bang, done.

Trigger Finger
06-18-2010, 02:41
Said to be Winchester 30-30's, with 150gr. Silvertip ammunition

http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=12615582

It cracks me up, that we still have the tradition of the lone rifleman firing a blank. I think any shooter would know, if their 30-30 was a "hot" one or not.

I take it you don't know how a modern firing squad works!!
First they have a raffle between all L.E.O.s in the state and select 8. They only use 5 but have three alternates.

The rifles are loaded, aimed and secured onto a "Bench Rest". All the shooter does is pull the trigger. He can't feel any recoil, can't tell if it's a blank or not. Four rounds center mass from high powered rifles causes death instantaneously. I think it is very humane.

geo57
06-18-2010, 07:48
I take it you don't know how a modern firing squad works!!
First they have a raffle between all L.E.O.s in the state and select 8. They only use 5 but have three alternates.

The rifles are loaded, aimed and secured onto a "Bench Rest". All the shooter does is pull the trigger. He can't feel any recoil, can't tell if it's a blank or not. Four rounds center mass from high powered rifles causes death instantaneously. I think it is very humane.

If this is true, and I have no reason to think it isn't, it makes you wonder why the need for the target over the guest of honor's heart as reported in the couple news reports I searched.

Trigger Finger
06-18-2010, 13:08
If this is true, and I have no reason to think it isn't, it makes you wonder why the need for the target over the guest of honor's heart as reported in the couple news reports I searched.

The target over center mas is just to set the bench rest on. The rifles might have to be raised or lowered to get absolute center hits. It would differ slightly if the person was 5 ft 6 inches compared to 6 ft 3 inches. The rifles are still locked in place prior to the shooters even taking position.

What's kind of nice, or maybe morbid, is that the LEOS get to keep the rifles with a plaque inscribed on them. An old partner of mine went to work for Salt Lake City. :supergrin:

And according to today's news, it went rather well!!

Snowman92D
06-18-2010, 14:52
And according to today's news, it went rather well!!

Cha-ching....! :thumbsup: