1911 vs Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 vs Glock

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 20:53
I was looking at the GATE section and it was asked why buy a $1000 gun such as a 1911 vs a $500 glock?
- I have a new glock now but im leaning towards a 1911 specifically a kimber pro series. But at the end of the day part of me still says the glock is great, never jams, easy to maintain and high capacity..
- Now at the same time the 1911s are beautiful guns, real craftsmanship, thin frame and still an amazing gun.
- I just want to know from the 1911 guys why you went this route, and if you own glocks as well what are some of the pros and cons of each.
( yes i hae searched and read many articles on google but i want to hear what you guys specifically say)

armslist
06-17-2010, 20:56
The balance of the 1911 when is unmatched, they fall right back on target. It was designed and developed alongside the 45 acp round, specifically to handle it. 1911s are more expensive than Glocks and since John Browning isn't alive any longer, there are dozens of manufacturers of non-guaranteed quality, but if you do your homework and get the right now, you're sure to be pleased.

bac1023
06-17-2010, 20:58
I'm a 1911 guy, but also like Glocks for what they are.

They just aren't collectable or as nearly as good shooting, as far as I'm concerned.

I find 1911s just as reliable as Glocks also.

Line Rider
06-17-2010, 21:00
If you looking at a 1911 go with a Colt, Springfield or SW before you buy a Kimber. The last few Kimbers I've seen have been plaqued with problems.

Glocks are good guns. They work and that's what matters.

To me and this is just me. The 1911 like the Harley Davidson, "IF I have to explain it, you won't understand it." :whistling:

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:02
If you looking at a 1911 go with a Colt, Springfield or SW before you buy a Kimber. The last few Kimbers I've seen have been plaqued with problems.

hmmm that sux, what colts, springfields would compare to something like a pro carry?

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:02
1911's are more accurate, has a better trigger and can be customized for the shooter. I used to think Glock pointed better, but I was wrong ;)
If you want capacity, the 2011's fit the bill.

knedrgr
06-17-2010, 21:03
I started off as a Glock owner, and now have moved to diversify my collection. Ultimately, the 1911's appealed to me because of their customizability and timeless design. As I've found out, the grip is more natural for me on a 1911. Before when I carried a Glock, from a draw, I can get on target pretty easily. With a short time of switching to a 1911, I was instantly able to get on target. I had tested this with my Mil-Spec when it had the stock rounded MSH, then I switch to a flat MSH, and instantly, the aim was on target. Now, if I go back to my Glock my aim is off, and the front sight ends up being just a little high on target.

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:06
I started off as a Glock owner, and now have moved to diversify my collection. Ultimately, the 1911's appealed to me because of their customizability and timeless design. As I've found out, the grip is more natural for me on a 1911. Before when I carried a Glock, from a draw, I can get on target pretty easily. With a short time of switching to a 1911, I was instantly able to get on target. I had tested this with my Mil-Spec when it had the stock rounded MSH, then I switch to a flat MSH, and instantly, the aim was on target. Now, if I go back to my Glock my aim is off, and the front sight ends up being just a little high on target.

I knew I could change you :rofl:

You get the new gun yet?

knedrgr
06-17-2010, 21:08
I knew I could change you :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You get the new gun yet?

nope. Had it ordered that day, but cancelled. Decided I want to do the trackday next month. :supergrin:

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:08
hey i was told not to listen to quack or Bac lol

bac1023
06-17-2010, 21:09
:rofl:

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:10
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

nope. Had it ordered that day, but cancelled. Decided I want to do the trackday next month. :supergrin:

What was it?

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:11

We like to spend money.
It doesn't matter if it's yours or ours ::animlol:

knedrgr
06-17-2010, 21:12
:rofl: Around our group of local friends, Quack is our bac1023. If that makes any sense to you.

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:14
:animlol:

And no, my day job isn't in sales :rofl:

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:15
lol well it sounds like you guys know your stuff so thats why im here.
-is kimber not that great? seems like there are a few haters... whats something comparable in 4"?

bac1023
06-17-2010, 21:16
We like to spend money.
It doesn't matter if it's yours or ours ::animlol:

:rofl::rofl:

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:18
Never had a problem with my Kimber.
my Tactical Ultra even had the dreaded external extractor.
I just prefer others and bac1023 got me hooked on semi-customs.

bac1023
06-17-2010, 21:19
I never had an issue with any of my Kimbers either. :dunno:

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:20
^ ive heard bad things about the ultras?

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:24
^ ive heard bad things about the ultras?

You'll hear bad things about officer sized 1911's in general.
If you notice all semi-custom guns makers smallest guns are commander sized, so that should tell you something about the officer sized guns.

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:26
^ ok i need some noob help.. officer is 3"in. commander 4" or 5" barrel?

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:32
Long slide is 6"
Government is 5"
Commander, Pro, Champion, CCO, Compacts are 4" - 4.25"
Officer, Micro, Ultra's are 3" - 3.5"

knedrgr
06-17-2010, 21:37
What was it?

you have to wait until I come around to getting it.

knedrgr
06-17-2010, 21:39
Commander, Pro, Champion, CCO, Compacts are 4" - 4.25"

One of these is on my list to round out the collection.

glockfan9
thankyou sir ;)
- ok well i was planning on going 4" anyways, thats about the size of the G19 and i like that. i wouldnt feel comfortable carrying anything more.

Quack
you have to wait until I come around to getting it.

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:41
thankyou sir ;)
- ok well i was planning on going 4" anyways, thats about the size of the G19 and i like that. i wouldnt feel comfortable carrying anything more.

What's your budget?

knedrgr
06-17-2010, 21:44
thankyou sir ;)

It's the grip that you'll need to worry for concealment. The barrel leaves minimal printing. There's really little difference between a Full Size/Government and a Commander's frame. They are both relatively the same height and hold the same amount of ammo.

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:47
Yep, the grip is more of a concern.
I've carried my longslide a few times :rofl:

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:48
- budget is as little as possible lol. im prob gunna sell the glock to my dad for about $400 soo id say total budget is around $700ish..

- i say 4' cuz i dont really like the the look of the full size either

Quack
06-17-2010, 21:51

Blasphemy

glock2740
06-17-2010, 21:54
I'm a big fan of both. My 2 favorite handgun platforms for sure. I own quite a few of both. I do CC a Glock alot more, but that doesan't mean that I don't think 1911's aren't reliable. I'd just rather give my Glocks more abuse than my 1911's. Love them both. I'm probably done buying Glocks, other than maybe a RTF G22. But I can guarantee that my next purchase is going to be a 1911. And if a few details and wrinkles can get worked out, it's gonna be one hell of a gun. :supergrin: Details later...

glockfan9
06-17-2010, 21:56
^ i have RTF2 now and i love to shoot it but im worried carrying will be a little rough

Makoman
06-18-2010, 01:25
You can probably get a used Colt commander or Springfield champion in the "700ish" range. I got my ORM commander used for $680.

oldman101946
06-18-2010, 04:41
I like Glocks but I love other brands as well. A good 1911 handgun cannot be beat.

That said, the longer the barrel on a 1911, the more accurate and less recoil. The longer the spring in a 1911 will give more reduced recoil and will need to be replaced less often

A 1911 can be customized in more ways than a person can think of. A person can change grips, barrels, mags, springs, sights, triggers, hammers, firing pin and a few other things in addition to having slides reworked and selecting a finish of choice.

A Glock is a Glock.

samuse
06-18-2010, 05:56
- budget is as little as possible lol. im prob gunna sell the glock to my dad for about $400 soo id say total budget is around $700ish..

That's gonna be a bad move. Keep the Glock for carry, take the 1911 to the range and get used to it and make sure that it functions well with the ammo you like. I understand why someone would want a 1911, but ditching a good gun for a low end 1911 that is not proven ain't smart. Not to mention the training time. You go from a Glock to a 1911 and I can almost bet the first time you get stressed, your Glock muscle memory is gonna give you some quick double taps.:wow: I love 1911s, but the Glock is better for defense, IMO. I carry a handgun as a civilian, were I in a different capacity, the 1911 is superior as an offensive handgun.

Bill Lumberg
06-18-2010, 07:33
One is best for law enforcement (durability, ease of use/repair, etc.), one is a work of art. I carry both. As for pointability, neither points better than the other, that's just about what you're used to . If you're used to a glock grip angle, that's what points right for you. If you're used to a 1911 grip angle, that's what will feel right for you.

I was looking at the GATE section and it was asked why buy a $1000 gun such as a 1911 vs a $500 glock?
- I have a new glock now but im leaning towards a 1911 specifically a kimber pro series. But at the end of the day part of me still says the glock is great, never jams, easy to maintain and high capacity..
- Now at the same time the 1911s are beautiful guns, real craftsmanship, thin frame and still an amazing gun.
- I just want to know from the 1911 guys why you went this route, and if you own glocks as well what are some of the pros and cons of each.
( yes i hae searched and read many articles on google but i want to hear what you guys specifically say)

glockfan9
06-18-2010, 08:19
One is best for law enforcement (durability, ease of use/repair, etc.), one is a work of art. I carry both. As for pointability, neither points better than the other, that's just about what you're used to . If you're used to a glock grip angle, that's what points right for you. If you're used to a 1911 grip angle, that's what will feel right for you.
well i dont really care about maintnence and stuff like that because ill take a gun apart anyday to mess with it.
- As for the grip angle. i can shoot my glock great but ive shot a Baretta 92 and a baby desert eagle 9mm and i can hit the target much quicker and it just feels better in my hand, not so akward. Kilding the kimber was like butter it just fit in my hand perfect.
edit: i have only had the glock for about 3mo and i can't carry for a Year so i figure now would be the time to make a decision so i can learn with whatever i choose.

BlayGlock
06-18-2010, 08:38
I know I’m a little late to the party, but I used to carry a Glock 19 everyday. I switched to a 1911 for two reasons:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. I found it a bit easier to conceal.<o:p></o:p>
2. After a lot of research I figured that in any armed confrontation that I found myself in I would probably not need 30 rounds of ammunition, and I feel fine carrying the 17 that I do now. <o:p></o:p>
I think you will find the change from Glock to 1911 enjoyable, especially if you like also just doing a little bullseye type shooting with your carry gun. A 1911 is way more accurate at 25 yards then my Glock 19.<o:p></o:p>
The only down side to a 1911 IMO is that it is more maintenance intensive. However, if you like to tinker it is not a big deal.

brisk21
06-18-2010, 08:52
I like Glocks but I love other brands as well. A good 1911 handgun cannot be beat.

That said, the longer the barrel on a 1911, the more accurate and less recoil. The longer the spring in a 1911 will give more reduced recoil and will need to be replaced less often

A 1911 can be customized in more ways than a person can think of. A person can change grips, barrels, mags, springs, sights, triggers, hammers, firing pin and a few other things in addition to having slides reworked and selecting a finish of choice.

A Glock is a Glock.

Yeah, cause there aint much you can do with a Glock, right? (www.topglock.com (http://www.topglock.com), www.glockmeister.com (http://www.glockmeister.com), oh hell, just look at the sponser icons on the homepage.) Oh, and most people can be taught to replace anything on a glock in one short class. How long does it take to be competent in replacing parts on a 1911? I like both equally and differently, but Im just sayin.

Quack
06-18-2010, 09:09
A glock can be modded too, just need a soldering iron, bedding compound, dremel and some spray paint. ;)

Ol'Slabsides
06-18-2010, 09:55

Glocks are good guns. They work and that's what matters.

To me and this is just me. The 1911 like the Harley Davidson, "IF I have to explain it, you won't understand it." :whistling:

Not my experience. I have owned 2 Kimber Custom sizes, 2 Pro sizes, and an Ultra, and each has done its job without complaint.

OP, you'll find that 1911 owners generally develop a brand loyalty. They tend to stick to the one that worked for them, as would be expected. Some, like Bac and Quack, own enough brands that they have a very diverse experience and can speak to the idiosycrasies of each. Most have only a one or two gun experience with each, and IMHO a scientific opinion this does not make. Mine included.

I wouldn't think that Kimber came to sell the most 1911's in the production market by producing junk at the level that many threads seem to indicate they do. Were that the case, they should have been in Ch 13 a long time ago, but they continue to thrive. Marketing can only do so much in the day of the internet, right? :supergrin:

oldman101946
06-18-2010, 10:22
Yeah, cause there aint much you can do with a Glock, right? (www.topglock.com (http://www.topglock.com), www.glockmeister.com (http://www.glockmeister.com), oh hell, just look at the sponser icons on the homepage.) Oh, and most people can be taught to replace anything on a glock in one short class. How long does it take to be competent in replacing parts on a 1911? I like both equally and differently, but Im just sayin.

I just sayin, I can replace almost any part on a real 1911 but I am not a gunsmith. My sights on a Colt 1911 were replaced by me. My trigger on a Springfield was replaced by me.

A 1911 is a lot more owner servicable and user friendly than a computer for me but many here can do wonders on a computer.

Fire_Medic
06-18-2010, 10:29
This is, and forever will be, an endless discussion/argument. Most often someones feelings get hurt because they can't afford a 1911 they would want to have. Both platforms have their pluses and their particular uses. I own and shoot/carry both as many of us here do.

It's all about budget and personal preference and how much time you can devote to maintenance.

Some people like high maintenance blonde barbie dolls, and some like a chubby brunette who's easy to maintain and cooks for you.
:wavey:

Kang
06-18-2010, 10:35
i have a few glocks and a springfield 1911 but rather have the glock over the 1911 any day. 1911 is a lil heavy on the carry side vs the glock but then a again i carry a 50 de some times.

757CC
06-18-2010, 10:40
I like both and have both. i've not had any issues with my kimbers (pro carry II and Warrior)...although the Warrior is seeing alot more holster time currently :)

Brucev
06-18-2010, 10:45
I own and very much enjoy shooting my G-22RTF and my SA Mil-Spec. 1911. Both pistols are in every way excellent. For oc, I prefer the Glock for the same reason I prefer it for HD... more rounds and a idiot proof manual of arms. For range use, I like them equally well and shoot them equally well.

JETHRO38
06-18-2010, 11:04

Please do not sell your GLOCK for a 1911!!!! I've done it and went right back to my GLOCK!
Not because I did not like my 1911, but The GLOCK was sooo easy to clean and repair & customize!!!!And easy on the wallet. Everytime I went to the range I dreaded going ho clean the 1911. The Barrel Bushing is the worst! :steamed:lol!
But if you have the $ to get a 1911 and not sell the GLOCK then do it!
Just having a 1911 and no GLOCK is a big mistake IMHO.....But I'm just giving you another thought to consider..Just save up that $400 and keep the GLOCK. You will feel better when you have that GLOCK & the 1911 that you pick, trust me!:supergrin:

dragonmalice
06-18-2010, 13:09
I've only got one of each, but I think the main appeal of the Glock is that you don't have to care too much about it. My Glock is the bedside gun, the gun I shoot the most, and by far the most likely gun I'll carry if it ever becomes an option. I like the reliability, but my 1911 hasn't failed yet either. I just don't worry about getting finger prints on my Glock, I can replace any part in it in a matter of minutes, and it's a cinch to clean. The 1911 is prettier and better shooting, though.

TxGun
06-18-2010, 13:19
This is really about as close to an apples and oranges comparison as you can get in the gun world. Two completely different platforms...designed approx. 84 years apart. Yet both do what they were designed to do extremely well.

MD357
06-18-2010, 13:26
Can anyone name a .45 that matches the accuracy, concealability, and service history of a 1911?

Quigley
06-18-2010, 13:32
Can anyone name a .45 that matches the accuracy, concealability, and service history of a 1911?

Of coarse not. Glocks are great because they are inexpensive, reliable, and just plane shoot. They are also accurate.

1911s are beautiful, durable, and collectible. They also cost a little more.

Igiveup
06-18-2010, 13:55
Thats a million dollar question 1911 vs Glock its apples vs oranges imo!

I personally love them both for different reasons.

I would trust a rattly loose GI issue 1911 to run almost as well as a Glock in dirty conditions but the match quality 1911 pistols everybody is putting out these days I don't think they will do as well as a Glock as a daily carry gun no way, unless the person is very conscientious about keeping it clean which a Glock is not as finicky about.

Now for precision shooting nothing beats a 1911 and besides that its one gun that everybody just has to own at least 1 just because its one of those things a gun collection w/o a 1911 or 10 is pretty bare of course 1 of every model of Glock is something desirable also heck its only money.

glockfan9
06-18-2010, 14:28
lol this is getting interesting

JW1178
06-20-2010, 10:03
I have Glocks and no 1911's, although one day I will have one, I hope. I will say the 1911's are beautiful, and feel so good in my hand, and the feel of pulling the trigger alone and the function of it dryfiring alone is amazing to feel, and I have fired one, and it is a joy to shoot to say the least. Unmatched IMO. I don't think I would make a 1911 my choice carry for many of the pre-mentioned reasons. They have too many parts which can go wrong, "safties" that I feel are cumbersome in a bad situation, they are heavy, and have low magazine capasity compared to Glock. I would carry one, but not over a Glock. 1911's are beautiful machines.

MD357
06-20-2010, 10:26
I would trust a rattly loose GI issue 1911 to run almost as well as a Glock in dirty conditions but the match quality 1911 pistols everybody is putting out these days I don't think they will do as well as a Glock as a daily carry gun no way, unless the person is very conscientious about keeping it clean which a Glock is not as finicky about.

I don't know what you mean by "match quality" but the higher end guns are the ones that have a history of stellar reliability and consistency. Local guy here has I believe over 85K through his Wilson CQB, and all he's done is switch out the barrel because he couldn't make power factor, accuracy was still good.

To me, a LOT of these cliches you hear about 1911s are really dated.

oldman101946
06-20-2010, 19:57
I have Glocks and no 1911's, although one day I will have one, I hope. I will say the 1911's are beautiful, and feel so good in my hand, and the feel of pulling the trigger alone and the function of it dryfiring alone is amazing to feel, and I have fired one, and it is a joy to shoot to say the least. Unmatched IMO. I don't think I would make a 1911 my choice carry for many of the pre-mentioned reasons. They have too many parts which can go wrong, "safties" that I feel are cumbersome in a bad situation, they are heavy, and have low magazine capasity compared to Glock. I would carry one, but not over a Glock. 1911's are beautiful machines.

You got to be kidding us.

1911 sidearms were made in the millions and used during the worst of the worst conditions during WWII and you cannot find a foot soldier in the world that would say they had a problem with one. Mud, freezing rain, under water, below freezing temps for days and they worked. Troops were trained to field strip it for cleaning or servicing. Parts did not break. They did not suffer from the Glock KAboom either.

Some 1911 guns are beautiful, some are now. The ugliest one I have is a WWII Colt, following that would be a Springfield and it works up to the best handling, prettiest being a S&W Pro Series 1911. The WWII is also the most expensive.

oldman101946
06-20-2010, 20:07

I could address all of this but it would take a book.

Until I write the book, let the following apply:

The American fighters in WWII did not have a problem in worse conditions than a Glock would see today. The 1911 guns were made in the millions for our troops. Remington, Singer, GM, Universal and others were making them.

As to capacity. Why do you need a lot of capacity? It is better to shoot once with a 1911 in .45 than shoot a lot with a Glock. I will put any of my 1911 guns up against a Glock for accuracy, looks, longevity and reliability. Quit exchanging accuracy for capacity. I have been in law enforcement for 38 years and the object is not to be in a long drawn out gun battle. Make each shot count. The older guys here will remember when we carried six shot revolvers and only six other bullets for reloads. Few ever needed to reload. But my Glock .40 holds 11 rounds and my S&W 1911 Pro has a 10 shot mag. I will give up the extra shot for the accuracy of the S&W.

A person never notices the safeties. All the workings of a 1911 are so well placed, it is all a natural movement. The trigger is so much better than that of a Glock. I also own several Glocks and have carried them daily but nothing beats a 1911 as many here will attest.

Igiveup
06-21-2010, 08:39
I don't know what you mean by "match quality" but the higher end guns are the ones that have a history of stellar reliability and consistency. Local guy here has I believe over 85K through his Wilson CQB, and all he's done is switch out the barrel because he couldn't make power factor, accuracy was still good.

To me, a LOT of these cliches you hear about 1911s are really dated.

By match quality and don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with buying the best I have them too but I mean tight tolerance guns they don't seem to take much sweat and dirt or carbon or out of spec ammo to stop them whereas a Glock is far less picky about all that for a reason. (my rattly loose comment)

SS/DV
06-21-2010, 17:03
I'm in the process of getting a Glock 30SF, but primarily to replace an XD9 because I dislike 9mm. (Got it for the wife, she can't shoot anymore, time to move on.) I've got 2 1911's, a Ria Match, one of the sweetest firing guns I've ever held in my hands. The trigger is to die for. And a Colt Night Defender, so pretty I want to put it in a picture frame and hang above my bed. With a similar trigger feel and designed for CCW. The Glock is going to be my rough and ready carry. Any CCW I've got has got to swallow the specific rounds I've got for defense I put through it and never breakdown, both the Glock and the ND fit the bill. (My backup is a SP101 .357, same criteria.)
Now to get the heck outta the Peoples Democratic Repulik of Marylandistan so I can actually CCW :crying:

auto45
06-22-2010, 05:13
I don't own any "plastic" pistols and only shoot 1911's, but if the original premise is a $500 Glock and a $1,000 1911...I'd bet "big" money the Glocks will work more reliably and "longer" out of the box. Unless you are only going to fire a couple of thousand of rounds...no big deal.

Meaning buy 50 Glock 21's, or H&K, or M&P for that matter, and 50 1911's for a $1,000 and see which one malfs first and breaks the first part!!

Which 1911 would you pick for a $1,000?

Now, have one "gone over" by a 1911 pistolsmith and probably a different story. "And by "gone over" I don't mean cosmetic improvements...I mean reliability and durability changes only.

MD357
06-22-2010, 09:30
By match quality and don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with buying the best I have them too but I mean tight tolerance guns they don't seem to take much sweat and dirt or carbon or out of spec ammo to stop them whereas a Glock is far less picky about all that for a reason. (my rattly loose comment)

I dunno, I've seen a have problems with out of spec ammo and a Wilson CQB gobble it up. YMMV.

Igiveup
06-22-2010, 10:55
I dunno, I've seen a have problems with out of spec ammo and a Wilson CQB gobble it up. YMMV.

I would sure hope it will gobble up ammo it sure gobbled up a bunch of someones money @ about 5 times what a Glock costs it ought to pick the kids up from school also or mow the grass :rofl: rich guys guns don't impress me.

I will keep my old 1911's and my Glocks thanks.

MD357
06-22-2010, 12:57
I would sure hope it will gobble up ammo it sure gobbled up a bunch of someones money @ about 5 times what a Glock costs it ought to pick the kids up from school also or mow the grass :rofl: rich guys guns don't impress me.

I will keep my old 1911's and my Glocks thanks.

Coming from someone that owns several glocks, I'm not really interested if "rich" guns impress you or not. If you can't afford it then don't buy, otherwise don't whine about what other people spend on their firearms as this isn't a comparison of who shoots the cheapest.

Either way, the point was as written in plain english above was that "match" guns can be and are reliable. Those that are more serious in shooting and or defending their life tend to pick quality platforms. With the exception of the G30... the other .45 platforms like the G36 and G30SF have had a history of problems and the even the G21 had some "upgrades" aswell eh?

So you can keep your cheap/low dollar plastic trash....now ya hear?? :upeyes::cool: :rofl:

Igiveup
06-22-2010, 13:42
Holly mackerel slow down there MD357 :wow: I think we ALL heard that wow pretty harsh talk on a primarily plastic gun forum lol.

Btw at the local matches I usually try to attend a couple every month the guns that choke are invariably Kimbers or some other premium 1911 and its damn near 95% of the time their ammo 5% the magazine and that either they didn't gage the ammo or it has a spec of lead on the case or they didn't clean the pistol but whatever maybe a $2500 Wilson CQB would show them up? lol

I see it at almost every match and those are guys hold the rest up while they wag their pistols around on the line trying to clear the jamb and sweat like pigs trying to get back in the game while everybody snikers.

I havent seen a Glock yet choke on ammo though I have seen a 21 light strike and stall out because the guy had the wrong trigger bar in it, I loaned him one of my spares and he was back running fine.

Fwtw since we are on the subject I quit gageing my ammo for my 30 since it will shoot ammo 100% of the time that my match 1911's wont so I am not just talking I have a little competition experience to back my words.

edit for clarification: Don't anyone think that I am flaming any certain brand (they are all excellent quality and some are exceedingly and ridiculously expensive) just because I mentioned a premium brand name it is an observation and possibly a statement regarding "rich guys guns" if you can follow along that train of thought its more people buy a super expensive pistol expecting super results when its 99% shooter. Someone having a knee jerk reaction to that is not helping the subject of the thread and I am not in any way trying to degrade good 1911's. I am saying (re-read all my posts) is a match quality gun is more prone to a hickup for reasons a Glock will shrug off and my reasons precede.

Mike5560
06-22-2010, 14:28
I own at least one of each and plan to get more of both. 8 or 9 rounds of .45 is plenty enough IMO. I find only commander sized alloy framed 1911's comfortable enough to carry on a daily basis, but that's just me.

Glock ~ AK, 1911 ~ AR.

Pick one, and use it's strengths and limitations to your advantage.

TxGun
06-22-2010, 14:35
JMOs...

1) Glock = basic, rugged, dependable, combat-accurate (and sometimes much better than that). Everything you need, and nothing you don't. As close to maintenance-free as a firearm gets (though, yes, it still needs some). Continues to operate in the most extreme conditions imaginable.

2) 1911 = a much wider world. Ranges from basic, rugged, & mostly dependable to jaw-dropping works of the highest gunmaker's art form. Capable of superb target-grade accuracy. Many more build options, much greater opportunity to customize to your individual taste (this pistol can satisfy your wants as well as your needs like no other). And, of course, the unmatched history.

Two completely different tools, but both world-class at what they were designed to do.

Cerebrus
06-22-2010, 15:22
:popcorn:

Tactical black
06-22-2010, 15:49
:wow: This thread is quite the thread.

Hokie1911
06-22-2010, 15:51
http://jthewonderllama.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/calvin.jpgGlock

Quack
06-22-2010, 17:07
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/d0b2_dark_side_apron.jpg

glock2740
06-22-2010, 17:09
Hi-Point :dunno:

Quack
06-22-2010, 17:11
Hi-Point :dunno:

i see more Hi-Point's on Cops, Crime 360 and First 48 over any other pistol :whistling:

Magus
06-22-2010, 17:21
I like 1911's and Glocks very much. Don't have a preference really either way I guess. Each has a specific job in my line-up and they're all quite reliable.

To me though, to truly appreciate the Glock you need to be able to appreciate a 1911. It's about heritage really. If there were no 1911's, there'd probably be no Glocks, it's a pretty natural evolution for pistols the way I see it.

Honestly, I think if John Browning were still around today he'd appreciate Glocks for their ingenuity. That or he would've invented them himself. :rofl:

Chonny
06-22-2010, 19:22
All you have to do is shoot one. That's it.

bac1023
06-22-2010, 20:23
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/d0b2_dark_side_apron.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

RMTactical
06-22-2010, 21:25
Both have their upside. I don't understand those who hate one or the other. I love both.

The Glock is a no fuss, inexpensive, no frills, lightweight machine.

The 1911 is smooth as butter, beautiful, and a pure joy to shoot.

I like my Glocks in 9mm and .40 and my 1911's in .45!

Chonny
06-24-2010, 22:15
I was telling my friend about the 1911 and John Moses Browning and the first thing he said was "Holy sh**, Moses?"

Instant credibility.

Fear762
06-25-2010, 15:40
1911 is a better shooting gun, fits my hand better. Maybe the best gun period in terms of feel and sights. Downside will always be capacity.

M1garand or Ar15?

brzusa.1911
06-25-2010, 21:47
They are both excellent guns and the only two platforms I buy. Before I bought my first 1911 I had exaclty the same question, so I gave it a try and bought a Colt Commander for $750. It was love at first sight, from the moment I held the pistol to the moment I fired. After
the Colt I jumped into the $1000+ 1911 and bought a DW CBOB - Wow, what a gun! It shot everything I fed to it and it felt awesome on my hands.... liked it so much that I end up getting two CBOBs....and that is when the addiction started. I thought the DWs were the best thing out there, until they raised their price, then I thought about giving Les Baer try - now we are talking $1600+ 1911s. I sold one of my DWs and bought a LB - All I have to say is that I never thought a gun could beat the DW CBOB, man was I mistaken! The Les Baer is the best pistol I have ever shot, period!

I still have, and carry once in a while, my Glock 26. And hopefully will get a 20 before year end. Glocks are super, I will always have them, but you can only say if it's worth the money to pay for a 1911 after you shot one - a good one!

MD357
06-25-2010, 22:52
Holly mackerel slow down there MD357

Was I moving fast? :cool:

To your comments, the Springfield Profesional as an example of a 1911 that is "match" quality, it would be interesting to hear you poke holes in it's service record. However, I've seen 1911s choke in competition too..... problem is that I've seen guys that had $1200+ in their Glocks also choke. In fact I rarely experienced a non operator glock failure until I started competing. The underlying factor is that guys can't leave well enough alone with ANY platform and it will cause problems.

GottaBkiddin
06-28-2010, 10:26
I have a few Glocks as well as a few other pistols. Just a couple of weeks back picked up a new Kimber Ultra and for me, hands down the 1911 is a better shooter and it transcends the caliber. I have the Kimber .45 and the Sig P238 in .380, both shoot better than their polymer counter parts and are more accurate than I need to worry about.

As a new to the 1911 platform guy I'd say, for me anyway, hands down the 1911 wins the day and is pretty much all I'm gonna spend any future coin on. YMMV

Good luck to ya.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/gottabkiddin/TheBoys.jpg

Hokie1911
06-28-2010, 10:29
I have a few Glocks as well as a few other pistols. Just a couple of weeks back picked up a new Kimber Ultra and for me, hands down the 1911 is a better shooter and it transcends the caliber. I have the Kimber .45 and the Sig P238 in .380, both shoot better than their polymer counter parts and are more accurate than I need to worry about.

As a new the 1911 platform guy I'd say, for me anyway, hands down the 1911 wins the day and is pretty much all I'm gonna spend any future coin on. YMMV

Good luck to ya.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/gottabkiddin/TheBoys.jpg

Ummmmm is that a rainbow 238?

GottaBkiddin
06-28-2010, 11:08
Ummmmm is that a rainbow 238?

Yeah. it's kinda funky, but a good little shooter.