When is hot too hot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When is hot too hot?

Planner214
06-18-2010, 08:00
Mas,

First off it is a pleasure to be able to ask you any question that you can address with your expertise, thank you for your time.

the other day when i was putting my glock 26 in my console because we were going to mail stuff off and cant take a firearm in to the building. Well here in TX it is pretty hot already and my new car is black. My wife says to me "is it safe to leave the pistol in this hot car?" she says she was worried about the car getting hot and cooking off the ammo. I told her no, it would be fine and that i dont think the car can get hot enough to do that.

she immediatley looks at me and then asks "Well how hot does it have to be?"

which brings me here. I was in the military and deployed overseas for a bit to sinai, and never had a problem so i know it is ok to leave it in the car. But i would still like to answer her question if possible. Thanks for your time.

Mas Ayoob
06-20-2010, 21:03
Planner, I think I can safely say that you can leave your loaded Glock in your console anyplace on the planet (well, on the surface of the planet, anyway) and be assured that it's NOT gonna get hot enough to cook off a round in the car. A car on fire, of course, would be a different story.

For the exact answer as to how many degrees Fahrenheit, for how long, it would take to cook off a given 9mm round, I would have to refer you to the ammo manufacturers.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific,
Mas