Legal sign or not [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Legal sign or not

glock37gap
06-18-2010, 20:15
i visited the columbia zoo today and saw a sign at the entrance that stated "no food, beverage, or weapons allowed." that's all it had, no picture of any kind. is this a legal sign that must be followed? I was unsure so i went back to my car and lock my gun in the car safe. if i had ccw inside the zoo would i have been in violation? I did not believe that this was a legal sign but being unsure i wanted to error on the side of safefy and stay legal. thanks

Hef
06-19-2010, 14:50
Not a legally enforceable sign. If someone saw your weapon and an authority figure from the zoo were to ask you to disarm or leave, you would be trespassing if you didn't follow their directions. But as for the sign, it's legally meaningless.

There is a signage statute, but I won't post it here in case any anti's are reading this.

glock37gap
06-29-2010, 05:01
that is what i thought. thanks

Sgt. Schultz
06-29-2010, 20:40
I really hope someone can prove me wrong but ...

Riverbanks zoo is publicly owned by a joint park district operated by a commission appointed by Richland and Lexington counties and the city of Columbia and as a public municipally they do not need to post any signs because concealed carry is prohibited by law.

hagar
06-30-2010, 07:44

Riverbanks zoo is publicly owned by a joint park district operated by a commission appointed by Richland and Lexington counties and the city of Columbia and as a public municipally they do not need to post any signs because concealed carry is prohibited by law.

WHAT law?

Sgt. Schultz
06-30-2010, 08:03
WHAT law?

Places off-limits when carrying:
A concealed carry permit does not authorize the holder to carry a concealed weapon into a:
1. Law enforcement office or facility.
2. Detention or correctional facility.
3. Courthouse or courtroom.
4. Polling place on election days.
5. Office of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district.
6. School or college athletic event not related to firearms.
7. Day care or pre-school facility.
8. Place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms.
9. Medical services facilities.
10. Religious sanctuaries unless express permission is given by an appropriate official.
11. Private property where prohibited by legal owner.

hagar
06-30-2010, 08:09
Places off-limits when carrying:
A concealed carry permit does not authorize the holder to carry a concealed weapon into a:

5. Office of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district.

I don't think 5 will apply to the zoo.

Sgt. Schultz
06-30-2010, 08:13
I don't think 5 will apply to the zoo.I e-mailed the zoo and asked if they were privately owned and I received this reply this morning ...

Thank you for your inquiry. Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is a special purpose district, governed by the Riverbanks Park Commission, made up of 7 members who are appointed for six-year terms. Two members are appointed by the Richland County Council, two by the Lexington County Council, two by the City of Columbia, and one jointly by the three entities. Please let me know if I can assist with anything else.

Monique Jacobs
Membership & Communications Manager

... looks like it does apply.

rwr-b
06-30-2010, 08:15
My reading and understanding of SC gun law makes me think that #5 does apply and that the Zoo would be understood to be a special purpose district.

Sgt. Schultz
06-30-2010, 14:12
I just received this in another e-mail inquiring about zoo ownership:

"We are publicly owned by a joint park district operated by a commission appointed by Richland and Lexington counties and the city of Columbia. ... "

If they are publicly owned and SC law prohibits CWP carry into publicly owned buildings are the bird house, aquarium and reptile Complex etc ... off limits?

glock37gap
06-30-2010, 17:45
wow thanks for the information guys. this is good stuff. my question now is that if i didn't see the sign in the first place how would i have known that the zoo was publicly owned and therefore and off limits as far as ccw.

mgartland
07-01-2010, 18:02

The law in question reads:

(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

I hope this proves you wrong Sarge :patriot: Maybe I need to check with a lawyer!

The way I read it, this only makes it illegal to carry into the zoo's office or a business meeting of the zoo's governing body. It does not make it illegal to carry into the special purpose district any more than it restricts carrying in a public school district. If it did, that would cover the entire state since everywhere in the state is part of a school district.

Paragraph 5 restricts carry into a school district office or meeting; paragraph 6 covers the actual schools. There is no such prohibition covering zoos.

The list of SC special purpose districts (http://www.scsos.com/forms/SpecialPurposeDistricts/2008_SpecialPurposeDist.pdf) is updated every 2 years.

Now, back to the meaningless sign at the zoo entry...