Light strikes question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Light strikes question

DLEE25
06-18-2010, 21:57
I fired a magazine of commercial reloads. I believe they were centurion. Every other round failed to ignite and showed a light strike on the primer. I'm pretty sure it was the ammo. Is there any improvements I can make to the rifle to insure it will work with this ammo? Im pretty sure its the ammo since I ran a magazine of Federal factory right afterwards and it ran without a hitch. The rifle is a new Del-ton.

Constructor
06-19-2010, 09:51
I doubt the primers used were any harder than the CCI 41s unless they were Wolf so it is more likely that the reloads were resized too small meaning the case shoulder pushed back too far so when the firing pin strikes the rear of the case it pushes the case to the front of the chamber before indenting the primer causing light strikes. It could also be that the primer pockets were swedged too deep.
A few companies make a heavier hammer spring which helps on hard cup primers like Wolf. You can check the length of the bolt, overall should be 2.80" that should give you the correct firing pin protrusion, they do make a protrusion gage which is the correct way to check but overall length will get you close. When we make 7.62x39 bolts to fire Wolf ammo we shorten the tail of the bolt by .010 so the overall length of the bolt is 2.790 so that is an option.

DLEE25
06-19-2010, 16:41
Thanks for the tip. Im gonna try the same ammo in a different rifle and see if the ammo is the source of the problem. Just in case I'll shop around for a heavier hammer spring.