Planning to go Hunting/Camping [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Planning to go Hunting/Camping

Beware Owner
06-19-2010, 10:28
Ok, here's the spill. I want to go camping and hog hunting. I used to have all my camping gear, years ago, God knows where it went. So now I'm looking to get my camping/hunting gear again. This is what I have in mind so far:

Camping:
A two person tent (ONLY because I'll have company)
Army duffle bag
Flintstone (or some kind of firestarter)
Foldable metal pans

Hunting:
Hatchet
Rope
Rubber gloves
Knife (I'll need help with this one)
Hacksaw

Jonesee
06-19-2010, 12:04
We need alot more detail.

Where will you be hunting?
What season of the year?
How many days will you be out?
How primitive will your campsite be? the fact you are using a duffel rather than a backpack tells me you will be camping close to your truck.
How much experience do you have hunting and camping?
Will it be a guided hunt?

Please tell us about the trip and we can help more.

If it is backcountry, you are on the wrong path. If you will be close to your truck, take whatever you can think of. It is easy if you don't have to pack it in and out.

Wulfgang
06-19-2010, 13:25
Family/Base Camping Checklist

Note:

This list is intentionally extensive. Not every family will bring every item on every trip.

In and around camp
Tent (with stakes and guylines)
Folding chairs
Tent footprint
Folding table
Tent-pole repair sleeve
Cots
Sun shade, tarp or screen house
Other furniture __________________
Sleeping bags (with optional liners)
Headlamps (with extra batteries)
Sleeping pads/air mattresses
Flashlights (with extra batteries, bulbs)
Pad/mattress repair kit
Lanterns (with mantles, if needed)
Pump for air mattresses
Lantern fuel or batteries
Pillows Water filter or treatment tablets
Multi-tool or knife
Bikes
Daypacks
Bike trailers
Trekking poles
Inflatable boat with paddles
Child carrier
Fishing gear (and license)
Rolling jogger
Canoeing/kayaking gear
________________________ ________________________
Clothing and footwear

(If chilly nights are possible, come prepared)
Moisture-wicking T-shirts
Long underwear
Moisture-wicking underwear
Sleepwear
Quick-drying pants/shorts
Insulating jacket or vest
Long-sleeve shirts (for sun, bugs)
Insulated pants
Sun-shielding hats
Gloves or mittens
Swimsuits
Rainwear (jacket and pants)
Bandanas or buffs
Clothesline with clips
Boots or shoes suited to terrain
Water sandals
Socks (synthetic or wool)
In-camp sandals or booties
Kitchen

(Select according to personal tastes and needs)
Stove
Coolers
Windscreen
Ice
Fuel
Water bottles
Fuel bottle(s) with fuel funnel
Plates, bowls, mixing bowls
Matches/lighter
Mugs/cups
Charcoal (with fire starter)
Measuring cups
Firewood (plus saw or ax)
Measuring spoons
Grill rack
Utensils
Frying pan
Paring knife
Cook pots
Spatula
Pot grabber
Whisk
Dutch oven
Kitchen organizer
Portable coffee/espresso maker
Cutting board or cutting surface
Hot-cold vacuum bottle
Funnel
Hand-crank blender
Foil
Bottle opener/corkscrew
Egg holder(s)
Tablecloth and clips (or tape)
Biodegradable soap
Recipes
Pot scrubber/sponge(s)
Marshmallow/wiener roasting sticks
Collapsible water container(s)
Food-storage containers
Portable or standing camp sink
Resealable storage bags
Drying rack
Trash bags
Quick-dry towels
Food

Coffee
Tea
Cereal/granola/oatmeal
Milk (powdered or fresh)
Eggs (freeze-dried or fresh)
Cocoa
Breakfast bars
Drink mixes
Batter mix
Bottled/canned beverages
Syrup
Energy food (bars, gels, trail mix)
Butter/margarine
Fruit (dried and fresh)
Jelly/jam
Vegetables
Bread/bagels
Cheese
Meat (fresh and jerky)
Crackers/chips
Soup mixes/bouillon cubes
Chocolate/sweets
Prepared or freeze-dried meals
Marshmallows
Cooking oil/spray
Spice kit
Salt/pepper
Herbs
Personal items

(Tip: To more easily locate gear, keep similar items in a single duffel)

Toilet paper First-aid kit

Sunscreen
Prescription medications
Lip balm
Toothbrush, toiletry kit
Insect repellent
Cosmetics
Hand sanitizer
Brush/comb
Alcohol or antiseptic wipes
Eyeshades; earplugs
Spare eyeglasses/contact lenses
Biodegradable soap
Mirror
Shower water bag
Other items
Camera
Paperbacks/DVDs
Camcorder
Notebook and pen/pencil
Memory cards/film
Sketchpad with art supplies
Binoculars
Radio or music player with headphones
Campsite reservation confirmation
Two-way radios
Maps
GPS receiver
Guidebook
Cell phone
Interpretive field guides (flowers, insects)
Travel alarm clock
Star chart/night-sky identifier
Umbrella
Pet tent
Pet food (with favorite bowl)
Pet bed
Pet leash and toys (such as Chuckit!)
Fun stuff

Playing cards
Flying discs
Rolling ice cream maker
Puzzles (crosswords, etc.)
Kick-around foot bag
Board games
Kites
Water toys
Geocaching materials (with GPS receivers)
Electronic toys
Paddle ball set Boomerang
Glow sticks __________________ for kids
2000, 2009 REI

Wulfgang
06-19-2010, 13:29
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-List-for-Gear-to-Take-Camping

http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/list.html

http://www.howtocampingtips.com/camping-checklist/camping-checklist.php

http://www.anybodyburns.com/bmcamplist.htm

bigdollars
06-20-2010, 23:59
Camping? You can get a decent hotel/motel for between $40 and $100 depending on where you are going. lol

vafish
06-21-2010, 05:52
Ok, here's the spill. I want to go camping and hog hunting. I used to have all my camping gear, years ago, God knows where it went. So now I'm looking to get my camping/hunting gear again. This is what I have in mind so far:

Camping:
A two person tent (ONLY because I'll have company)
Army duffle bag
Flintstone (or some kind of firestarter)
Foldable metal pans

Hunting:
Hatchet
Rope
Rubber gloves
Knife (I'll need help with this one)
Hacksaw

Do yourself a big favor and get something bigger then a 2 person tent. Every tent I have ever seen rates their capacity based on people packed in tightly together and no gear inside the tent. Meaning a 4 man tent will sleep 3 comfortably with a small amount of gear in the tent. 4 adult men would be shoulder to shoulder and bumping into each other every time they turn over.

Skip the flint and steel crap and get a bic lighter or 2.

EL COLONEL
06-21-2010, 06:55
A rifle and a hand gun...........................................:whistling:

Beware Owner
06-21-2010, 07:34
We need alot more detail.

Where will you be hunting?
What season of the year?
How many days will you be out?
How primitive will your campsite be? the fact you are using a duffel rather than a backpack tells me you will be camping close to your truck.
How much experience do you have hunting and camping?
Will it be a guided hunt?

Please tell us about the trip and we can help more.

If it is backcountry, you are on the wrong path. If you will be close to your truck, take whatever you can think of. It is easy if you don't have to pack it in and out.

I will be hunting in my own county (the biggest animal sighted here is the hog), I plan to go once I get all my gear together. When I said duffle bag, I meant to say the Army duffle bag with a harness that makes it a huge backpack. I've camped before, but not hunted, this is not a guided hunt. I plan to go in as deep into the woods as possible/necessary, which may mean half to a mile (doubt it, though).

Do yourself a big favor and get something bigger then a 2 person tent. Every tent I have ever seen rates their capacity based on people packed in tightly together and no gear inside the tent. Meaning a 4 man tent will sleep 3 comfortably with a small amount of gear in the tent. 4 adult men would be shoulder to shoulder and bumping into each other every time they turn over.

Skip the flint and steel crap and get a bic lighter or 2.

You're right about that, didn't think about it. Thanks! Out of curiosity, though, how many fires would you know a flint to start?

vafish
06-21-2010, 14:44
You're right about that, didn't think about it. Thanks! Out of curiosity, though, how many fires would you know a flint to start?

I'm a Boy Scout leader.

I've seen a lot of scouts start a fire with either the friction method or with a flint and steel.

And since most bic style lighters use a small piece of flint and a steel wheel to make their fire, many of the times you see a lighter used it is a fire started with a flint and steel.

mitchshrader
06-21-2010, 17:27
Prepack your gear, do a couple day test run. Walk with it a good bit. Then thin out the unnecessary. Depending when, you'll need too much water and darn little sleeping bag, or medium water and a pretty good sleeping bag.

Being specific about the weight of each item & the total, and how you did on a timed trek, say 5 miles.. versus your body weight.. what you have to hike in, pack out, PLUS meat if you're lucky.. will give you a better idea of how to do it least painfully.

Good boots. Good socks. More good socks.

Beware Owner
06-22-2010, 07:40
I don't want to carry as much, less is more. I'm now gearing towards a hatchet, knife, sleeping bag, tent, pan/fork, lighter, rope, rifle, rifle cleaning kit, bags, rubber gloves, binoculars, water, flashlight, lighter, shears, water, food, and that should do it.

Beware Owner
06-23-2010, 10:52
What knives do you like best for the camping, not dressing?

vafish
06-24-2010, 06:04
If backpacking I just carry a small pocket knife. Don't need it for food prep as everything is freeze dried or canned.

Since you will be dressing hogs too a good all purpose hunting knife should be fine.

One other thing you should consider, I know you are planning on carrying water, but having some sort of water purification method is also a good idea. Water is very heavy to carry and you need about a gallon a day. Filters or iodine tablets work well and weigh much less then the water they will produce.

Beware Owner
06-24-2010, 08:46
If backpacking I just carry a small pocket knife. Don't need it for food prep as everything is freeze dried or canned.

Since you will be dressing hogs too a good all purpose hunting knife should be fine.

One other thing you should consider, I know you are planning on carrying water, but having some sort of water purification method is also a good idea. Water is very heavy to carry and you need about a gallon a day. Filters or iodine tablets work well and weigh much less then the water they will produce.

True, and I'll be close to a creek, too.

Beware Owner
10-08-2010, 10:51
It's official, I'm going in December! I ran into the problem that local hog hunting was a little more complicated than I thought, the only place I could go hog hunting where hogs have actually been sighted, disallows centerfire rifles. There is one little spot that may have hogs, but I haven't scouted that yet. These next several weekends will be dedicated to scouting. I have two places to check out, one is best known for deer and no hogs, the other may have both. I might even hunt at both locations, but I won't be sure till I scout them.

I'm getting most, if not all, of the rest of the gear within the next two weeks, and the list has changed because I will be staying for several days. I'll tell you what I have listed so far:

Camo boots/pants/jacket/hat/shirt/thermal shirt/gloves, hunter orange vest, backpack, tent (four person), sleeping bag, first aid kit, topographical maps, water bladder, shovel, binoculars, canned food, shearspots/pans/spoon/fork, large cooler, meat bags, no scent spray, rope/pulley system (forgot the name), game bags, and water purification tabs.

I already have the knife, hatchet, foldable saw, compass, rubber gloves, rifle, pistol, flashlight, and lighter. I'd say that, depending on the size and amount of game harvested, I'll either dress myself or take to the butcher.

By the way, how much percent of meat per weight of an animal should I expect back from a butcher?

duncan
10-29-2010, 09:30
Do yourself a big favor and get something bigger then a 2 person tent. Every tent I have ever seen rates their capacity based on people packed in tightly together and no gear inside the tent. Meaning a 4 man tent will sleep 3 comfortably with a small amount of gear in the tent.

Spot on - at least a 3-person dome tent with just two long poles. 5-7 minutes to assemble if don't need lines and stakes.

Can get them cheap at Big 5 too. Just make sure you bring fleece blankets to line your sleeping bags for colder weather.

Boy scouts teaches you a lot on those points:whistling: