PM9...How durable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PM9...How durable?

arturius
06-19-2010, 11:39
I've seen this discussed before, but mostly "theoretical". I realize these aren't Glocks and probably won't go 100,000 rounds (with minor part replacements of course); but does anyone have practical experience or testimonials to this thing shooting at least 10,000 rounds with major part wear?

Thanks

josp
06-19-2010, 16:12
There is a fellow on kahr talk forum that reports 25k through his PM9.

I've only got about 2k through my CW9.

Linux3
06-20-2010, 07:20
I guess I don't understand the question. Or maybe why anyone would ask the question.
I have in the 3k range through my PM9 and it runs just fine but it's a EDC not a range weapon. I can't imagine putting 10k rounds through it. One a month or some times a little more often I put a box of 50 through it to keep the skills up. Call it 600 rounds a year now but I put a LOT more through it when learning how it shoots, in case you are wondering why the math doesn't add up. lol

I shoot USPSA and IDPA and some local stuff and average 200 rounds a week in my M&P and I don't even worry about 100,000 rounds in that. And by the way, if you do much competitive shooting you will see Glocks fall over all the time. IMHO they are no better or worse that many other brands of competition pistols. Kahrs are carry guns. Well, I have used my TP9 in local matches and it's a little gem.

arturius
06-20-2010, 13:40
I ask the question because I believe one should train with the gun they carry; to do otherwise holds no interest for me. Without proficiency and training what's the poing

staticfiend
06-20-2010, 14:24
I got 200 rounds through mine so far. I'm not going to clean or lube it till it breaks. Everyone says these guns are huge failures so I will put it to the test.

Linux3
06-20-2010, 15:12
I ask the question because I believe one should train with the gun they carry; to do otherwise holds no interest for me. Without proficiency and training what's the poing
I agree but after I gained proficiency 50 rounds a month or so is more than enough practice to maintain skills. That's still 600 rnds a year. 6,000 rounds in 10 years.

deathpriest
06-20-2010, 20:32
I got mine 6 years ago. Probably 4K rounds and goes bang every time. I do not put that many rounds as I would on a g19 but, it gets fired regularly.

Cowart
06-20-2010, 21:57
does anyone have practical experience or testimonials to this thing shooting at least 10,000 rounds with major part wear?

10,000 rounds of 9mm ammo will cost about as much as 4 or 5 PM9s. Maybe it would be wise to buy a spare now, and be prepared?

at_liberty
07-06-2010, 03:06

The problem is that a carry gun as you define one makes a really second rate range warrior gun. To make your theory work, you need to carry a bigger gun.

I have a PM40, a T40, and a P40. I see no point in compromising the enjoyment I can have at the range by being forced to shoot some nasty little sawed off gun all the time just in case I might have to shoot defensively once in my lifetime. Shooting the guns is just not that different, but the range at which you can shoot effectively would certainly matter.

It's really not all about defensive shooting. You find a comon ground you like to call "fun". Different people will use different guns to define that, but look around and appreciate what others are doing with their guns. Yes, you start out with one gun, but if you like shooting, trust me there will be other guns for various applications.

Plan on shooting some of those thousands of rounds in a gun that is really intended for what you are doing. It's not alll about fast draw, point and shoot at 10 feet.

the perfesser
07-06-2010, 16:37
Back to the OP's question: besides josp, does "does anyone have practical experience or testimonials to this thing shooting at least 10,000 rounds with major part wear?"

AZ Traveler
07-06-2010, 17:51
Tough Guy Levi has more then 20,000 on his PM9 according to his last report.