Some Basic Apple Computer Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some Basic Apple Computer Questions

seanmac45
06-19-2010, 15:04
First I will give some background. I am a dedicated PC user. However, this past Wednesday my Dell XPS crashed for about the tenth time in two years. OS was DOA and I knew it would be time for a wipe and redo. Before I could start, wifey asked me to take her to the mall so she could return some items and do a little shopping. Took my 13 year old along and I'm not sure how but as we were leaving the mall I noticed I was carrying a box. In a fit of pique I had purchased an Apple iMac, 1 TB hd with radeon video etc etc etc..

Took it home and simultaneously set it up and redid my PC.

My impressions of the Apple are as follows;

Slick and functional design. Everything just starts up and works with no tweaking. The mouse is absolutely perfect and the keyboard is a tiny wafer. Both are fun to use.

I have to overcome YEARS of PC muscle memory and technique to become comfortable with this OS. It' pretty intuitive but my 13 year old still has to come and bail me out on some things.

I put in the MS Office suite cause I live on it. It is however rankling me that there is no Outlook, Publisher, or Access in the Apple version. These are things that I need quite frequently.

OK so now I have my PC back up and running and I really don't think I am cut out for the Apple machine. Karma, however can be good. My thirteen year old graduates eighth grade on Tuesday and having seen his proficiency with the Apple first hand I am going to make it his graduation present. I know his High School has both Apples and PC's so I believe this machine will be useful for him for the next four years at least.

This brings me to some questions;

1. When booted it reads Sean XXXXXXXX's computer on the screen. I want to redo it so it reads Ryan XXXXXXXX's and make him the admin. I can do the admin thing myself but can't figure out how to get to the machine's basic configuration and change the ownership name.

2. Do Apple users run any anti-virus program on their machines? I haven't put one in as of yet. If I do it will be a Norton product.

3. I notice the mouse and keyboard have power switches. Do Apple owners turn them off when not in use or do you just leave them on like I do on my PCs wireless units.

4. Can anyone recommend a website for Apple newbies to pick up on tips and shortcuts for someone transitioning from a PC. I can't find things like My Computer and the directory for all loaded programs and some other odds and ends.

5. If there is any software besides what came pre-loaded and the MS Office suite I bought and installed that is vital to have I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sean

Pierre!
06-20-2010, 00:31
The Apple site has more tutorials than you should need. They do a pretty good job.

Migrate to Mac (http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/)

You will need to learn to use Apple software for your publishing, mail, and photo editing needs... The basic software you can use came with your system. Get used to paying for higher end software packages.

They are fun, I am on my MacBook right now, but for work I use Win7 & MS Office... :whistling:

Have fun with the transition! It's kinda fun really...

seanmac45
06-20-2010, 09:01
Thanks, your experience mirrors mine.

For business, and record keeping MS and Win 7

However, for the artistic/creative/photographic the Apple wins hands down.

arodgers
06-20-2010, 11:05
For email, Thunderbird is a good Outlook replacement. As for the rest of the questions:

1. Here is a good tutorial for changing the computer name:
http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/15/changing-your-macs-computer-name/

2. Most do not run anti-virus software. The threat of a virus is so low it's not really worth it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is 1. a Windows user. 2. uneducated on the subject. 3. someone who forwards too many chain emails. or 4. someone selling antvirus software.

3. I leave my mouse on. It turns itself off after a period of inactivity.

4. http://www.macosxhints.com/ and http://osxdaily.com/ are both good websites with a lot of good information on OS-X.

5. That all depends on what your needs are. I ditched Safari and I've been using Google Chrome for the last few months. Firefox is also a good Safari replacement. If you do photo editing, Aperture is a nice tool.

seanmac45
06-20-2010, 12:04
Thanks very much!

MavsX
06-21-2010, 12:25
i thought Finder was the equivalent of like windows explorer?