.45 Glocks at Front Sight – After Action Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 Glocks at Front Sight – After Action Report

amazingphotos
06-19-2010, 16:39
I already was a fan of .45 Glocks but now, after attending the four-day Defensive Handgun Course at Front Sight, I am more so. My son-in-law, with huge hands, used his Glock 21. My 14 year old grandson used my (soon to be his) Glock 37. I used my Glock 38 with G37 magazines for spares. During the four days, I observed malfunctions with 1911 style pistols, Springfield XD’s, Beretta’s, and a Sig 250. I did not observe any malfunctions (other than operator errors) with any Glocks and certainly not with the .45 Glocks from Kansas. Glock magazines seemed to not be affected by repeatedly being dropped on the ground during Category two and three malfunction drills and “emergency reloads.” By contrast, 1911 magazines seemed to be dirt magnets!
Although these Glocks would not be competitive in a bullseye match, they have more than adequate “combat” accuracy. At Front Sight, the targets seemed large and close until time pressure became a factor. I saw thumb safeties missed on 1911’s and even the grip safety on an XD not depressed because of an improper draw. The Glocks have a great “point and shoot” interface.
We were told that the steel reactive targets were calibrated to usually drop with a good hit from 9mm. This seemed to be true but there was sometimes a noticeable pause between impact and the target dropping. 40 S&W and 45 ACP fmj did MUCH better! The 200 grain Gold Dots my grandson and I used not only caused an instant drop but would rock the target frame. I suspect that this was caused by the hollow-point bullet transferring more energy while it was being deformed.

Accuracy, speed, power - 45 GAPS are winners!

DannyR
06-19-2010, 17:46
Five State Police Agencies agree with you. I agree too!

jeffreybehr
06-19-2010, 19:13
The 37 is what I use in USPSA competition, and it has never failed. One reload with a fold in the mouth jammed while chambering*, but the RO unjammed it by holding the slide safely and striking the grip sharply with his hand. I too see lots of 1911-type pistols malfunction in USPSA competitions.

I was out today practicing on waterjugs; it's LOTS more fun than punching paper targets. :supergrin:

* and now, EVERY reloaded cartridge gets cycled thru the gun before it goes in the bag.

Dave Williams
06-22-2010, 10:01
I've thought for a while that the .45GAP should be the preferred gun at Front Sight. They like Glocks and big bullets, perfect combination.:supergrin:

Dave Williams

amazingphotos
06-22-2010, 18:27
I can't speak for the entire organization but, of the three staff on the range where we were assigned, one stated he had he had never heard of 45 GAP, one's knowledge was the old "an answer to a question nobody asked", and the third (the rangemaster) thought it was a great concept but had concerns about the long-term survival of the cartridge and the lack of training ammo at prices comparable to more popular calibers. Other than lack of knowledge of our beloved cartridge, they were very efficient in covering the course. When one asked why I preferred the GAP to the 40 S&W 180 grain load with similar ballistics, I advised him slightly larger wound channel and slightly over one-half the chamber pressure.

Lotsa Glocks
06-22-2010, 22:32
You should have let him fire the GAP and then have him draw his own conclusion. Many people have said, "Once you go GAP, you never go back!":rofl: