Ever build your own 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever build your own 1911?

RMTactical
06-20-2010, 02:39
How difficult would you rate it as? How'd it turn out? Do you save money building a 1911 if you know what you're doing? Pics and details please.

bac1023
06-20-2010, 06:17
That's something I would like to do one of these days, but never have.

I know several here, much more knowledgable than I, have built some nice examples.

Quack
06-20-2010, 09:02
Do you save money building a 1911 if you know what you're doing?

i don't think you would save any money building your own, after you buy the tools and parts needed.

I'm thinking of building my own soon.

glock2740
06-20-2010, 09:13
Not yet, but I will someday. As soon as I can stash away enough cash, I'm going to take the class Bob Rodgers teaches.

FLIPPER 348
06-20-2010, 09:14
You don't save any money but the satisfaction from shooting a 1911 that you have built and tuned is well worth the extra cost.

Cerebrus
06-20-2010, 09:17
Not yet, but I will someday. As soon as I can stash away enough cash, I'm going to take the class Bob Rodgers teaches.
Man but I would love to do that.. I have seen the pics from that place.. then again with my limited mechanical skills I am kind of afraid of what would come off of my bench..:whistling:

Blaster
06-20-2010, 09:25

Yes I would like to do that too. Then go to Larry Vickers class. I can dream can't I?

HAIL CAESAR
06-20-2010, 09:38
I've build a few. It is not as easy as you would think. The tools are expensive, and so are mistakes. Generally you don't save a nickel.

06-20-2010, 17:12
I have put a couple of them together. It is a lot more expensive than buying a Les Bear and the Les Bear will always be worth more. Mine have always preformed well and been accurate, but they are mine for life. I could never get much for them.

remat
06-20-2010, 22:22
I thought about and was ready to get the Wilson and AGI videos until I priced out buying the individual parts. It would be less expensive just to have Fusion build one for me.

The nice thing about building it would be being able to learn and buying the parts individually at a painstakingly (but pocket tolerable) pace.

HAIL CAESAR
06-20-2010, 22:50
I thought about and was ready to get the Wilson and AGI videos until I priced out buying the individual parts. It would be less expensive just to have Fusion build one for me.

The nice thing about building it would be being able to learn and buying the parts individually at a painstakingly (but pocket tolerable) pace.

How did the Fusion work out for you?

Jason D
06-21-2010, 16:53
I would like to someday.

Hokie1911
06-21-2010, 17:10

Any update on yours?

seanmac45
06-21-2010, 17:18
I've built three. Two were off Caspian frame/slide sets that were unfitted. The third was a Colt that I took down to the frame and totally redid.

I built my first by joining an internet based remote learning class given by the late Capt. Eagle. The next two I did on my own.

Saving money? Not really. When you are building your own you tend (at least I do) to utilize the best quality parts you can find. On the first build you have a capital outlay for the tools needed. However the following builds don't require much more in the way of tool investment.

The value comes when you fire that first round from a weapon that did not exist until you took file/stone/paper/dremel to steel. That is some powerful persona satisfaction.

It takes time and patience and you will make mistakes, but that is part of the learning process.

All in all it is a worthwhile endeavour.

remat
06-21-2010, 18:49

That's the bad thing about buying it outright, have to save my pennies. Not quite there yet...

RMTactical
06-21-2010, 19:07
I've built three. Two were off Caspian frame/slide sets that were unfitted. The third was a Colt that I took down to the frame and totally redid.

I built my first by joining an internet based remote learning class given by the late Capt. Eagle. The next two I did on my own.

Saving money? Not really. When you are building your own you tend (at least I do) to utilize the best quality parts you can find. On the first build you have a capital outlay for the tools needed. However the following builds don't require much more in the way of tool investment.

The value comes when you fire that first round from a weapon that did not exist until you took file/stone/paper/dremel to steel. That is some powerful persona satisfaction.

It takes time and patience and you will make mistakes, but that is part of the learning process.

All in all it is a worthwhile endeavour.

Having built my fair share of AR15's I have some kind of an idea of what you are saying, although the 1911 seems like it would require more complexity and time.

Thanks for sharing!

BuckyP
06-22-2010, 13:27
I just did, with a little help from a friend, who had a lot of the tools needed. Over the years, I acquired a bunch of stuff including a complete top end. Turned out all I needed was a frame, safety and plunger tube. I still have a few bugs to work out (it's a .40, which has it share of quirks), but I did manage to win single stack division with it this past Saturday at a local USPSA match. :supergrin:

Tactical black
06-22-2010, 15:48
I would love to take a class on it I think it would be very rewarding to shoot something you built with your own hands.

Chonny
06-22-2010, 19:44
I wouldnt mind building an STI from parts.

CMG
06-23-2010, 11:36
How difficult would you rate it as? How'd it turn out? Do you save money building a 1911 if you know what you're doing? Pics and details please.

Save money?

Nope.

Easy?

No, but today's "no-gunsmithing" parts are worlds better than they were just 20 years ago, so I think it would be easier to do today than the first time I did it in the 80s.

"Gunsmith fitting required" parts are a different matter, and without the proper tools and experience it could get really expensive to learn as you go.

Quack
06-23-2010, 12:26
here's a thread of a guy building one now.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=272326

you can also look here for info on building one.
http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmithing.html

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
06-23-2010, 12:51
I've decided to build my own Glock - I'm still working on that frame part :rofl:

Hokie1911
06-23-2010, 13:10
I've decided to build my own Glock - I'm still working on that frame part :rofl:

That's the easy part. All you need is a bunch of these and an oven.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f1ax6xKBS5g/SHYpIOq_aoI/AAAAAAAAAII/UsuaccpIfRk/s200/army+men.jpg

Tactical black
06-23-2010, 13:46
That's the easy part. All you need is a bunch of these and an oven.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f1ax6xKBS5g/SHYpIOq_aoI/AAAAAAAAAII/UsuaccpIfRk/s200/army+men.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

I thought it was made out of these :whistling:

http://happyhomemaker88.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/tupperware.jpg

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
06-23-2010, 15:03
:supergrin:

Yes - that will work. I think I'll just use some lego and a lighter :)

remat
06-26-2010, 13:27
Somewhat related anybody watched the Wilson videos? I have heard that the AGI's are good but use/demo high-end equipment that most do not have access to..

GlockRik
07-10-2010, 10:23
I'm a little late to this thread, but I have built 2, a 5" 45 cal. and a 4.25" 9mm on an officers frame.

I also took the Capt. Eagle class. If you do it right, you will spend enough on tools, jigs, files, books etc. to buy a pretty nice 1911. There is deffinitely no money saved. If you buy a "pre fit kit" then it is not a build, just an assembly. A true build is very labor intensive and I made several costly mistakes.

I did it because I wanted to know a 1911 inside out. If I started over tomorrow, I would probably start with something like a mil-spec and upgrade it a piece at a time.

With that said, I have all the parts (less officers frame) to build another 4.25 in a 45, so I'm eventualy going to do it one more time.

Hope this helps,
GlockRik