Decision Time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time

GJ1981
06-20-2010, 08:27
I told myself I would calm my spending down so I could focus on my car restoration, but I have an itch for one last 1911 for an indefinite time period.

I already have the 2 customs I want on order and plan to stick in the semi-custom category for this purchase. The only other custom I have planned is a Novak once I find the base-gun I'm after.

First choice

Nighthawk Enforcer
Diamond Black Finish or NP3 "Plus"
Strong Side Safety
Heinie Ledge or 10-8 sights
Naked Slide
Maybe with Front Cocking Serrations?
And a few other small details

Or

Another SA Custom
Custom Carry
Bar-sto Barrel
EGW Monogram Carry Bevel Plug and bushing
Maybe FCS's?
Legacy Custom Magwell Suite
NP3 "Plus"
Golfball or 20lpi frontstrap
Heinie Ledge or 10-8 sights
And a few other small details

I'm looking for some pros and cons I may be overlooking. I have been in contact with both company's and both pistols are very close in price. The SA is a tad more due to the work involved with the Legacy MWS.

The only problem I'm having with the NHC is if I wanted a different barrel/parts they will make the change but I get no credit for it. They would keep their barrel yet charge me for the brand I would want.

The only problem I have with the SA is I already have one on order in completly different specs.

I know this is a personally decision, and I will make the choice when the time comes. Sometimes the voice of reason is helpful in that choice though.

Quack
06-20-2010, 08:48
i say SA.

MD357
06-20-2010, 08:49
NH is cool and all but..... SA custom all the way.

bac1023
06-20-2010, 09:29
That is a tough decision.

I must say that I give a slight edge to Springfield Custom from an overall quality standpoint. In fact, I give them the same slight edge over Ed Brown and most Wilsons and Baers. They really are that good.

On the flip side, however, the Enforcer is just a flat out cool 1911. Its my favorite Nighthawk by far. Furthermore, since you already have a Springfield on the way, you may want to try something different.

Just some thoughts to ponder. :dunno:

MADBMW
06-20-2010, 09:34
I really like the Enforcer as well, it has alot of cool features like the built in plunger tube and mag well. That being said, I have a Springfield Custom Carry, built to my desires and it is without a doubt one of the finest 1911's I have had the pleasure of owning. Springfield Custom is one of the best kept secrets in custom/semi-custom 1911's out there.

However, you do already have a custom shop gun on order, so a bit of diversity might be a good thing.

HAIL CAESAR
06-20-2010, 09:48
Springfield Armory and don't look back.

Tactical black
06-20-2010, 13:31
just flip a coin and let fate decide. :cool:

bac1023
06-20-2010, 13:37

This

:animlol:

GJ1981
06-20-2010, 15:55

Honestly, I have considered this option many times.

I'm not going to rush this decision, I enjoy thinking about the many different ways I can option this build. Since this is likely the last 1911 I buy until my drive-train is done in my car, I have to go over-the-top to hold myself over.

I don't like the wait of the SA but with the DB finish the NH could easily be a similar wait.

I do agree with the idea of diversity too, the two customs I'm having done are on SA GI's. If only my bank account could support all my habits :faint:.

GJ1981
06-26-2010, 12:28
Well fate has stepped in and solved my dilemma for once.

I stopped by a local shop and looked over some of their 1911's. They had recently received a few new NH's. I couldn't help but look them over, but upon closer inspection I noticed some problems I couldn't forgive.

Once had a poorly fit thumb safety, it was very sloppy and lacked the "click", very comparable to a Kimber I had a few years back. The grip safety also wasn't blended very well and had a slight burr that caught my hand. Not what I expect of a pistol with this price tag.

The other had serious finish imperfections, the dust cover had wear marks like it had been in and out of a holster. The Perma-Joke was also very blotchy compared to some I've seen. Knowing the owner of this shop I can guarantee the employees wouldn't have been putting a new pistol in and out of a holster.

I knew NH had a problem with QC but thought it was under control. I may buy a NHC in the future, but for this build, I will not buy one sight unseen.

I ask myself, if these issues went unnoticed what else slipped though. Or am I wrong?

bac1023
06-26-2010, 17:24
Well fate has stepped in and solved my dilemma for once.

I stopped by a local shop and looked over some of their 1911's. They had recently received a few new NH's. I couldn't help but look them over, but upon closer inspection I noticed some problems I couldn't forgive.

Once had a poorly fit thumb safety, it was very sloppy and lacked the "click", very comparable to a Kimber I had a few years back. The grip safety also wasn't blended very well and had a slight burr that caught my hand. Not what I expect of a pistol with this price tag.

The other had serious finish imperfections, the dust cover had wear marks like it had been in and out of a holster. The Perma-Joke was also very blotchy compared to some I've seen. Knowing the owner of this shop I can guarantee the employees wouldn't have been putting a new pistol in and out of a holster.

I knew NH had a problem with QC but thought it was under control. I may buy a NHC in the future, but for this build, I will not buy one sight unseen.

I ask myself, if these issues went unnoticed what else slipped though. Or am I wrong?

I must have been lucky with my Nighthawks. I took them out of the gun room for this post and they're about as perfect as a semi custom can get. Attention to detail is terrific, the triggers are great, every control is precise, and they're both awesome shooters.

Now, I don't like Perma Kote, so I didn't go with it. However, whoever does the hard chrome for Nighthawk does some of the best in the business.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/025.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/005-4.jpg

glock2740
06-26-2010, 17:58
I must have been lucky with my Nighthawks. I took them out of the gun room for this post and they're about as perfect as a semi custom can get. Attention to detail is terrific, the triggers are great, every control is precise, and they're both awesome shooters.

Now, I don't like Perma Kote, so I didn't go with it. However, whoever does the hard chrome for Nighthawk does some of the best in the business.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/025.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/005-4.jpg
:hearts::hearts: I love both of those. I almost went with that EXACT SAME Enforcer, before deciding on going with the Gun Crafter No Name. But, I've got the NN made up to look pretty sweet. :supergrin: Can't wait for it to get home to Daddy. :cool:

bac1023
06-26-2010, 18:33
:hearts::hearts: I love both of those. I almost went with that EXACT SAME Enforcer, before deciding on going with the Gun Crafter No Name. But, I've got the NN made up to look pretty sweet. :supergrin: Can't wait for it to get home to Daddy. :cool:

I'm looking forward to your No Name as well. :)

GJ1981
06-26-2010, 18:37

I do agree that they make an excellent pistol and what I saw was most likely a fluke. My first semi-custom was a Talon II, and with the exception of a few finish blemishes I missed and an extractor that was a little loose, it was a great choice.

I do want a 5" NHC, and will get one eventually, but I will have to look it over for my piece of mind opposed to buying sight unseen.

AFAIK, Metaloy does their HC. I'm having a custom build that will have their HC...only a year or so until I can post pics :crying:

bac1023
06-26-2010, 18:50
I do agree that they make an excellent pistol and what I saw was most likely a fluke. My first semi-custom was a Talon II, and with the exception of a few finish blemishes I missed and an extractor that was a little loose, it was a great choice.

I do want a 5" NHC, and will get one eventually, but I will have to look it over for my piece of mind opposed to buying sight unseen.

AFAIK, Metaloy does their HC. I'm having a custom build that will have their HC...only a year or so until I can post pics :crying:

I did hear it was Metaloy, but I was never sure. :dunno:

GJ1981
06-26-2010, 18:55
I did hear it was Metaloy, but I was never sure. :dunno:

I've only heard claims too, but it would make sense since they are in the same town. It sure would be easier, and obviously cheaper, to drive pistols to them opposed to paying freight charges. Plus they do excellent work :supergrin:

bac1023
06-26-2010, 19:17
I've only heard claims too, but it would make sense since they are in the same town. It sure would be easier, and obviously cheaper, to drive pistols to them opposed to paying freight charges. Plus they do excellent work :supergrin:

Yeah, Metaloy is one of the best. :)

Rinspeed
06-26-2010, 21:09
I don't have the experience some of you do but I wouldn't even consider NHC. They look like great 1911s and I'm sure most of them work just as well as they look but damn for such a small company it sure seems like they put a lot of dogs. I have no idea why I still have this photo in my bucket account but whoever let this one get the door should be pumping gas somewhere.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/IMG_2921.jpg

Cobra64
06-26-2010, 22:15

http://www.diamondsmagic.com/dmb/shop/images/BalancedCoinTrick_LRG.jpg

bac1023
06-27-2010, 00:25
I don't have the experience some of you do but I wouldn't even consider NHC. They look like great 1911s and I'm sure most of them work just as well as they look but damn for such a small company it sure seems like they put a lot of dogs. I have no idea why I still have this photo in my bucket account but whoever let this one get the door should be pumping gas somewhere.

That is pretty bad, Jeff. :shocked:

GJ1981
06-27-2010, 10:51
whoever let this one get the door should be pumping gas somewhere.

I know that is an older pic, 2005ish, but I always think of that when considering a NHC. I don't know how that made it off the bench and down the line without being noticed, or someone didn't care.

AFAIR, NHC did give the owner a new pistol but still...

ETA - A quick search and it was built in 2007
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=180265

Chocobo
06-27-2010, 10:54
SA with golfball.

MD357
06-27-2010, 11:02

Well, I'd be pissed that the extractor was clocking on a $2500 ish gun. NH's aren't my favorite but they all don't look like that.