Remington Express 147 JHP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington Express 147 JHP

Rollinghawk
06-20-2010, 12:19
What's the book on this stuff? Picked up a box of 50 today. Much difference between it and the Golden Sabers? Says on the box they're subsonic. Would that make them significantly slower than standard 147 rounds? Thanks.

06-21-2010, 20:46
Manufacturer says it'll do 990 fps from a 4" barrel so it falls right in line with most of the subsonic 9mm 147 gr. stuff currently offered.

It's typical 9mm 147 gr. JHP ammo, uses 'older' conventional "cup and core" (unbonded) JHP design. Basically the 'economy' line of Remington's ammo line-up, it'll do in a pinch though you would be better off with any of the the premium designs available. (like the Golden Sabre that you mention)

Having seen what Remington has been asking (way too much) for their "Express" line, I hesitate these days to recommend it simply for its being so over-priced.

unit1069
06-21-2010, 21:23
I agree the Remington "value" ammo is priced way too high compared to the premium ammo available. I haven't bought any Remington green/white box ammo in quite a while but as is my custom I nearly always keep a mag's worth of ammo I buy if it's decent.

I saved ten rounds of Remington green/white .357sig JHP and I've only seen one or two tests on this particular ammo. I remember that the results were surprisingly good for being a cookie-cutter kind of ammo. Just because a value ammo doesn't have the reputation more expensive versions do doesn't mean it's no good. There are a lot of folks who really like WWB 147-grain JHP in 9mm, the "value" Winchester round. Remington may have the same kind of effective bullet with their older design.

J_Rico
06-22-2010, 01:24
I agree the Remington "value" ammo is priced way too high compared to the premium ammo available. I haven't bought any Remington green/white box ammo in quite a while but as is my custom I nearly always keep a mag's worth of ammo I buy if it's decent.

This has not been my experience of late. The yellow/green Remington "Express" mentioned by the OP is expensive.

The white/green Remington UMC ammo can be found around here for very low prices. For example the 100 round boxes of 115gr 9mm jhp run $25+tax.

unit1069
06-22-2010, 20:32
This has not been my experience of late. The yellow/green Remington "Express" mentioned by the OP is expensive.

I've never tried Remington green/yellow box ammo. It's way too pricey for range ammo in my opinion

The white/green Remington UMC ammo can be found around here for very low prices. For example the 100 round boxes of 115gr 9mm jhp run $25+tax.

I recall seeing 9mm 100-round JHP value packs of the green/white box ammo but not for a long time. The green/white .357sig ammo runs around $30/box of 50 whereas Fiocchi is at least $5 or more cheaper for a 50-round box. And again, that's FMJ range ammo, not Remington's "value" JHP round that's been around for years and which runs even higher than the FMJ round.

I have no idea why Remington's range ammo is so high compared to WWB and other brands, and lately the Golden Saber rounds are being discounted. I'm sure it's because that round is being packaged in a new box with a different name.

J_Rico
06-22-2010, 20:45
I've never tried Remington green/yellow box ammo. It's way too pricey for range ammo in my opinion

I bought some a few years ago back when it was priced okay. Good ammo, but I will not buy more at these prices.

I recall seeing 9mm 100-round JHP value packs of the green/white box ammo but not for a long time. The green/white .357sig ammo runs around $30/box of 50 whereas Fiocchi is at least $5 or more cheaper for a 50-round box. And again, that's FMJ range ammo, not Remington's "value" JHP round that's been around for years and which runs even higher than the FMJ round.

I have no idea why Remington's range ammo is so high compared to WWB and other brands, and lately the Golden Saber rounds are being discounted. I'm sure it's because that round is being packaged in a new box with a different name.

Yes the 50rd boxes of fmj are more than WWB or Federal Champion.

The 100 round value packs of jhp are on the shelf quite often around here and are a pretty good deal.

samuse
06-22-2010, 22:42
I've used a lot of the Green and White UMC JHP in 115 9mm for shooting matches and I like it because I think it's accurate stuff. Shoots good from my Glocks and Hi-Power. I shot about a hundred rats with it a couple years ago and it delivered one-shot-stops consistently on the fist sized rodents.:rofl:I wouldn't use it for social work unless I was really limited on choices.