PANTS BRANDS for carrying concealed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PANTS BRANDS for carrying concealed.

hackinpeat
06-20-2010, 17:29
Hi folks,

There are a ton of threads on holsters, pocket or otherwise, and none so far as I can find on the best trousers and shorts to pocket carry your glock in.

I am a g26 owner, and I know many disagree with pocket carry. Save that for another thread!

what pants do you own that the glock can be pocket carried in? Which pocket?
And does the butt of the gun show at all without a baggy shirt?

My favs so far: (no back pocket carry for me, I'll leave that for other posters.)

Dye brand khakis, good fit, and as always with khackis the side pockets work fine, the front pocket is good for CCW, but not so great without a shirt.

South pole and similar baggy youth brands work well, but you better wear a nice shirt and watch the colors so you don't look like a gang banger.
(Makaveli clothes makes a great pair of shorts with what the kids call a "weed pocket" I use it as a backup gun pocket, it fits my little 22 without a holster great, and keeps it in place. If you don't mind having tupac shakur on your clothes this is a great way to go. The front pocket is deep enough for a baby glock.)

REI makes some great hiking khaki pants, but the front pocket is just a smidge too small to keep the butt hidden, they will do in a pinch.

Carhart work pants and shorts actually have a nicely sized front pocket, fit a sub compack glock quite well, and hide printing when purchased in black very well. These are my fav for pocket carry so far! Also, they look more redneck/blue collar than they do gangster, so I advise these as a good set of pants in general. very good material! a 10 round mag will fit nicely in the carpenter's nail pockets and can easily be pulled with two fingers.

Old military surplus Vietnam era camo.
Any pocket (except the rear) will do with these things, the butt is slightly visible in the pocket, but you can just tuck a snot rag over it if you like. Since mine is OD and the mag is black it actually kind of camoflages itself in these pants. The camo pattern helps reduce visible printing due to the odd shapes that are already on it. I have yet to buy any digital print, but nothing says "gun nut" like wearing BDU's in a city.

U.S. POLO Not a great choice, the gun can tilt toward the inseam in the pocket to conceal the butt quite well, however it must be drawn at an angle, and with 2 fingers, making them less than ideal. With a proper pocket holster these are not going to work.

Thanks in advance for any contributions to this thread! I'll post more as I find them and try them out.

Linux3
06-20-2010, 19:39
I buy Legendary Gold brand jeans and jean shorts from target. $9.95 a pair and I carry a PM9 in a wallet holster in the front pocket.
LG jeans tend to be a little stiff and heavy weight, don't buy pre-washed, so they don't mark.

BK63
06-20-2010, 19:51
Cargo pants work well.

washguy25
06-20-2010, 20:04
I was actually just thinking about pants selection earlier today. I am in need of some new pants and found myself looking for some that would work well with concealed carry. I don't pocket carry as I don't have a small enough daily carry. But, still would like to hear some advice for well priced pants that have sturdy waist bands and decent durability etc... I am looking at some carharts or maybe the 5.11 taclite pants.

DWARREN123
06-20-2010, 20:19
I use mostly 5.11 brand trousers and shorts. I love pockets!

Thorazine
06-20-2010, 20:29
Quite a few shorts I own (don't know of the brands) can accommodate pocket carry quite easily.

They're larger cut deep pockets -- longer length.

Believe I got them from pacsun or the gap.

sciolist
06-20-2010, 20:51
Not into pocket carry, but for a general purpose pant, Carhartt at +1" is the IWB program.

5.11 always gets a laugh.

M1A Shooter
06-20-2010, 21:12
i find that i can get away with pocket carrying my 26 easier with carpenters style jeans while at work. the larger opening in the front pockets allow for an easier draw.

SNoB
06-21-2010, 16:05
I agree with the carharts, for both pocket and IWB. If you get them sized so you can carry IWB it leaves a little extra space for pocket carry as when you choose to do that. This helps with printing. I also carry a spare mag in one of the side pockets, and usually a flashlight in the other. This leaves me with one front pocket and the two back pockets for other things when I pocket carry my G27.

When wearing "nice" pants I usually just pocket carry my kel-tec, it just makes me wish I could get away with wearing carharts to all occasions.

Nufrifin
06-21-2010, 18:12
Armed Work Wear - Painter: comfortable loose fit, a lot of pockets, big front pockets, kneepads.

hackinpeat
06-21-2010, 18:34
lol, looks like the carharts are winning, mine are also about 2 or 2.5" too big, makes decent for IWB with a sub compact glock. The pm9 and some of the others are generally a bit skinnier, so I think their fitment isn't quite the same.

Thorazine: go dig through the closet and post a few brands!

hatidua
06-21-2010, 18:35
Toughskins from Sears....because chicks dig 'em!

MatGlock
06-21-2010, 18:41
Mountain Khakis....Got their own gun pocket that fits the G26 well.

Toorop
06-21-2010, 20:07
I prefer Propper brand pants. But I do enjoy Rocawear, Pelle Pelle, and Akademics. I usually wear those brands in shirts and outerlayers with my Propper brand cargos. But I also have a few pairs of Levi's carpenter jeans which are comfortable. At work I wear a tucked in polo with my Propper cargos and I usually have a windbreaker or light coat of some sort depending upon weather.

Glockphobia
06-22-2010, 04:23
for work i have wrangler jeans, and when wearing shorts, they're cargo, too many diff brands to remember

Bren
06-22-2010, 04:47
Any pants, long or short, seem to work for me.

ricklee4570
06-22-2010, 05:36
Woolrich is the best I have found. Very deep pockets. Deepest I have ever tried. Conceals a handgun easily and comfortably.

hackinpeat
06-22-2010, 14:27
Wranglers? there is no way you are pocket carrying a glock in wrangler western style jeans.

The mountain khakis look pretty nice. Are the utility ones the one with a so called "gun pocket?" The don't advertise it that way. a bit spendy for basic pants, but quite nice.

CBennett
06-22-2010, 15:56
Any pants, long or short, seem to work for me.

same here but I IWB carry only I dont pocket carry at all...I just dont find it comfortable even if the pockets are the right size and depth..just not a comfortable carry mode for me. A lot of my shorts are Cargo type and just basic JC Penney or Arizona or what ever lol. Ive thought about a dedicated gun short(meaning buying one) but I just cant find one at a decent price($20 or less)

As far as jeans go anything works again since I IWB carry I just make sure its a size 36 waist :) and im good to go!

Thunderbolt56
06-22-2010, 19:18
Straight up Old Navy Cargo shorts. I carried my G27 all over hell's half acre in the left pocket Saturday and after about 20 minutes I could barely tell it was in there.

hackinpeat
07-24-2010, 11:01
I discovered that dickies has some 16" long shorts (just past the knee for most of us) that have quite large pockets, and are a denim jean material that is stiff and conceals exceptionally well. Sadly the top of the pockets aren't quite wide enough for a quick draw, but with a minor modification they would be among my favorites for hot weather pocket carry.

Glock1911
07-24-2010, 18:19
I wear Carharts. I don't carry a G26 and don't IWB carry. But, for pocket carry of Kel Tec's P-32 or PF-9 they work great.

kda
07-24-2010, 18:50
To the OP. I see there are several "versions" of Carhart work shorts.

Such as B144 or B278. Do you happen to know the "version" you find works well for front pocket carry of your G26 sized Glock? And some have 8.5" inseam, others 11+ inches of inseam.

Thanks for the review, BTW.

ColCol
07-24-2010, 21:20
What a thread...choosing pants to fit your pistol. America-what a country!:supergrin:

JD HHI 6092
07-24-2010, 22:43
5.11 always gets a laugh.

Tell me about it. While waiting for my flight back to the middle east, about 1/4 of the contractors were wearing their 5.11 gear. :rofl:

Great Googly Moogly
07-24-2010, 22:45
I buy whatever is on sale at the time.

Great Googly Moogly
07-24-2010, 22:48
Tell me about it. While waiting for my flight back to the middle east, about 1/4 of the contractors were wearing their 5.11 gear. :rofl:

I still cannot get used the idea of the USAF getting away from six stripes up and having Sergeants.

JD HHI 6092
07-25-2010, 08:44
I still cannot get used the idea of the USAF getting away from six stripes up and having Sergeants.

AF has has used up to 8 strips since about 1959. They just rearranged them in 91/92 for the Top Three.

Darkangel1846
07-25-2010, 12:20
WalMart carries a line of shorts that have a secondary pocket on the inside right side front pocket. Just right for a KelTec 380.

hackinpeat
07-25-2010, 12:36
To the OP. I see there are several "versions" of Carhart work shorts.

Such as B144 or B278. Do you happen to know the "version" you find works well for front pocket carry of your G26 sized Glock? And some have 8.5" inseam, others 11+ inches of inseam.

Thanks for the review, BTW.

RN # 14808 are the ones that fit the glock cozy, but those are pants not shorts.
They are the double knee carpenter type.

Sure Elijah... if you carry a gun concealed it makes sense you should buy pants that fit it... Would you buy pants you can't put your wallet in?

Thanks for the posts guys...

Heck, even old BDUs work well with my 26, but the butt is slightly visible in the pocket... since it's olive drab and black it kind of hides in the camo anyways. I won't carry like that unless im out in the country.

I wore the long shorts (dickies) down to a ghetto near seattle this weekend to help a friend move, a lot of gang bangers along the way were sizing me up and I am glad none of them had a chance to tell that I was packing.

Some Crips and latin kings in seattle, some Nortenos on the way back.

The people I was helping move had no idea that any of these groups were gangs, no clue about their colors and rags... :rolleyes: :faint:

Great Googly Moogly
07-25-2010, 12:50
AF has has used up to 8 strips since about 1959. They just rearranged them in 91/92 for the Top Three.

I got out on 1980 as an E-4 Sergeant. There were 8 stripes - just arranged differently. There were 2 down for CMSgt rank, and one down for SMSgt. All other stripes were up.

Bummer they did away with Sergeant.

DrBob
07-25-2010, 17:19
buying pants that are 1" or 2" bigger than your normal waist size means that you can only wear them when you carry AND they may not fit well through the seat or thighs.

But, the answer may be those shorts and long pants that have expandable waist lines like the LL Bean Comfort style:
a Hidden Comfort waistband that features hidden elastic panels for all-day comfort and ease of movement. Midweight 8.6 oz. fabric. Fit belts up to 1˝"W.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/search?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&init=1&freeText=comfort

hackinpeat
06-02-2011, 18:36
True Dr.Bob, If one were shopping for slacks I would think of that as a big issue, since I mainly wear blue collar worker type clothes, It's not a huge issue for me to wear a belt on pants that are a bit too roomy in the waist.

For my slacks I have just purchased what fits and what doesn't respectively, It's not cost effective, but then again if you need to wear slacks to work every day then you are either packing (allowed to) or not.

up1911fan
06-02-2011, 18:54
The majority of my pants now are Woolrich Elite's and Eotac's. Carhart and Nautica jean's also work well for me.

wrenrj1
06-02-2011, 18:58
I use mostly 5.11 brand trousers and shorts. I love pockets!

Bada bing. Once you buy 5.11's you'll never go back to other sissy pants!

hackinpeat
06-02-2011, 19:32
lol... I get enough mall ninja guff for my "tactical" boots from USMC buddies without putting on some 5.11s... Hell I even got crap for my REI hiking pants.

JimBianchi
06-02-2011, 19:51
My absolute favorite is my 501 (button fly) one, size to big.

I love to carry my G26 12+1, with a CBST.

For shorts, I buy cargo shorts at Goodwill for $4 a pair. I have Union Bay on now. Very comfortable. I have a few pair of different brands, at $4 or less each, I don't look at brands to hard.

Caver 60
06-03-2011, 07:22
Many thanks for the thread.

I need some new pants. The last Dickies I bought were to tight for anything but a P3AT, and even the P3AT is tight in them. Some efficiency expert must have gotten to the pocket designers so they can squeeze an extra cent or two of profit on each pair. Same with the crotch. Can they make those work pants any tighter?

LoadToadBoss
06-03-2011, 08:20
After reading the posts, I see there is no discussion about business casual dress pants. As a pastor, my weekday office wear is business casual dress slacks and dress shirt (sometimes a Polo or golf shirt on hot summer days.)

Any suggestions on good concealed carry pants for the office that don't look thuggish or mall ninja? I don't pocket carry with standard dress pants; the pockets are usually too shallow, the material too light and the pant legs form around the thighs too tightly. Usually I will ankle carry a PF-9, but would like to IWB with my Crossbreed MiniTuck.

ETA: For the USAF guys--Senior Master Sergeant Retired!!

I can't tell you how many times I was called "Chief" when the new chevrons were introduced.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/E8a_USAF_SMSGT.jpg/180px-E8a_USAF_SMSGT.jpg

eracer
06-03-2011, 08:28
Propper Catalog (https://www.epropper.com/1011catalog.pdf)

I wear these Proppers daily. The deep front slash pocket swallows my Kahr PM45, and I love the waistband design, which is tailored for a gunbelt, and helps keep my shirts tucked in.

I'm lucky that I can wear casual clothes to work.

STYLE no. F5212-38
Battle Rip® 65% polyester/ 35% cotton ripstop

COLORS: black, khaki, LAPD navy, olive, sheriff’s brown.

• ACU-style uniform enhanced for law enforcement
• Eight pocket trouser design
• Zipper fly and double snap closure
• Cargo-style pockets with hook and loop closure
• Propper™ gripper waistband keeps pants in place
• External knee pad openings
• Cuffs with front closure tie to fit snugly around boots
• Extra-large belt loops for nylon duty belt

thr_wedge
06-03-2011, 09:40
After reading the posts, I see there is no discussion about business casual dress pants. As a pastor, my weekday office wear is business casual dress slacks and dress shirt (sometimes a Polo or golf shirt on hot summer days.)

Any suggestions on good concealed carry pants for the office that don't look thuggish or mall ninja? I don't pocket carry with standard dress pants; the pockets are usually too shallow, the material too light and the pant legs form around the thighs too tightly. Usually I will ankle carry a PF-9, but would like to IWB with my Crossbreed MiniTuck.

I can't tell you how many times I was called "Chief" when the new chevrons were introduced.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/E8a_USAF_SMSGT.jpg/180px-E8a_USAF_SMSGT.jpg

Depending on what I was wearing for the day, Dockers, Banana Republic or GAP khakis all work fine for me. All of those have had at least 1.5" belt loops.

When not working jeans, cargo pants or cargo shorts.

I rarely if ever wear my shirt tucked.

smokeross
06-03-2011, 09:48
My Dad says,"Girls wear pants, Boys wear Jeans". Got it?

x2scooter
06-03-2011, 09:57
I really like Levis 501 button fly but they don't don't seem to work very well for iwb carry for me. Most ot the time I wear Twenty X or Wrangler the work very well or Levis 550 strait leg.

Toorop
06-03-2011, 11:53
My Dad says,"Girls wear pants, Boys wear Jeans". Got it?

Your dad doesn't know what he is talking about.

smokeross
06-03-2011, 16:25
Your dad doesn't know what he is talking about.
Try telling him that. :rant:

Cancer
06-03-2011, 16:45

I wear Haggar "Work to Weekends" slacks, and they might just be what you're looking for. They are nice enough to wear with a sport coat, have big roomy front pockets, and they are quite rugged and durable. Nothing about them even hints at "tactical", so they are perfect for concealing guns and knives. I must dress professionally every day, so they work great for me.

Because of where I work, I must disarm everyday before going to work, and re-arm once I'm at home, so I tend to pocket carry almost all the time, just as part of my daily routine. I usually front pocket carry a G26 in either a DeSantis Nemesis or Galco leather pocket holster, and no one has ever questioned what was in my pocket. A S&W 642 basically disappears in the front pocket.

In the winter, I will pocket carry a G29, but I need to have a coat on to help conceal that brick of a gun. I sometimes pocket carry my Keltec P11, so a PF9 should pocket well. They have stretchy waistbands, so they work good if you want to IWB. The belt loops can handle a 1.5 inch belt, but I usually use 1.25 inch belts. If you decide to pocket carry, get the pleated version, they give you more room in front of the pockets, so you get less chance of printing. They are roomy enough at the ankle, so you can ankle carry pretty easily. I've ankle carried the G26 and 642, again with no one the wiser.

You can get them at JCPenney's and other major clothing retailers. I have a dozen or so of these pants, and so far they have performed the best for me.

Caver 60
06-03-2011, 23:06
I've had reasonable luck with the JC Penney's pants for pocket carry when I have to dress nice. A Plastic Micro Kahr works for me. The pleats help also.

hackinpeat
06-04-2011, 10:29
Big thumb up for the info on slacks... Looking at what LEO's wear is probably the best bed, but I wouldn't expect anything for pocket carry. Pants vs. Jeans semantics?... Well sure back in my Granddad's day a man wore slacks and a lady wore pants. I bet your dad was in the military too. These days People wear what they want and call it what they wish.. America... F, yes.

cloudbuster
06-04-2011, 20:17
I usually wear the Dickies cargo pants, which can conceal up to a J-Frame pretty easily in the front pocket. If I wear relaxed-fit Wranglers I can conceal a P32 or NAA mini-revolver in the front pocket, but that's about it. I tend to carry OWB with an untucked shirt with my jeans.

For dress slacks, and/or when I need a tucked shirt, I usually carry just the little P32 either in front pocket or tuckable IWB holster.

Your pants have to be pretty darn tight before you can't hide a P32

alba666
06-04-2011, 21:56
Columbia cargo shorts here. G23 works great in pocket holster with offside pocket mag holder.

RCP
06-05-2011, 06:41
Wranglers? there is no way you are pocket carrying a glock in wrangler western style jeans.

The mountain khakis look pretty nice. Are the utility ones the one with a so called "gun pocket?" The don't advertise it that way. a bit spendy for basic pants, but quite nice.

Wrangler has cargo pants that can be found at Target for 15 bucks. IMO, they're quite comfortable, have been durable so far, fit well, and have nce belt loops.

NDCent
06-05-2011, 07:16
G27 in right front pocket. In warm weather 5.11 pants or shorts, in dead of winter Carhatt bibs. Lounging around the house and property I usually wear scrubs with an airweight.

thr_wedge
06-05-2011, 08:26
Wrangler has cargo pants that can be found at Target for 15 bucks. IMO, they're quite comfortable, have been durable so far, fit well, and have nce belt loops.

+1

Target and Wal-mart.

Also, Old Navy has some cargos on sale (shorts and pants).

I love cargos...

OldLincoln
06-05-2011, 14:44
I don't care what anybody says, I really like my modified 5.11 covert pants. I got them before they made the extra pocket seams visible and modified them by taking out the crotch spacer so they look and wear like other pants. Nobody has ever mentioned anything about them being 5.11, that's probably because they don't notice.