Quick PM9 question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quick PM9 question

youngbuck
06-20-2010, 18:41
Just took my new PM9 to the range today and got about 100rds through it. I noticed though when i would insert a new mag and rack the slide it would not always accept the top round. So I would eject the mag, still was full, put it back in and have to rack it 2 or 3 times before i could feel/see the mag click into place. I know it needs a break in period but the gun should not need to be broken in to accept the mag should it? Other than that it had 1 FTE so im happy :supergrin:

Linux3
06-20-2010, 19:29
1) 200 rounds is the break in period.
2) Are you putting the slide on slide lock and then inserting the mag as per the manual?

I can slingshot my PM9 with around 3k rounds through it. I don't think it works with a new one.

youngbuck
06-21-2010, 05:15
I admit most of those times the slide lock was not engaged although one time it was but after accepting a round the slide did not return to battery

Caver 60
06-21-2010, 08:21
Not sure what your problem is.

But I always 'top off' my PM9 magazine and never have a problem inserting the 'topped off' magazine or firing the pistol. It runs 100%.

Put another hundred through it, and if it still has problems call Kahr.

You might field strip the pistol and take a look down the magazine well, looking for problems with the magazine latch. Also insert an empty magazine into the field stripped pistol and see if you can detect a problem. Try it with a loaded magazine in the field stripped pistol, again look for problems.

Don't know what else to say. Good luck.

Z71bill
06-28-2010, 12:01
http://www.kahr.com/DL/kahrmanual.pdf

Look on page 16.

the perfesser
06-28-2010, 18:57
youngbuck,

I am amazed that a gazillion folks have not posted in the last 24 hours to write that -- contrary to Z71bill's advice -- they are always able to load simply by racking the slide. After over 1000 rounds through my PM9, I cannot. I do not doubt that others can load by racking. But until I can do so with some regularity, I will agree with Z71bill -- load from slide lock only. After all, the statement referred to on p. 16 was written by the manufacturer for a reason, was it not?

Caver 60's advice is also good.

Remember, in case you ever call Kahr re your problem, they are going to ask if you are following their instructions on p. 16!

tnedator
06-28-2010, 19:03
My PM9 has 1000+ rounds in it. Not sure the exact number. I can rack/slingshot the slide and load a round, as long as I really slingshot it. Meaning, with guns like the glock, you can pull the slide back, and kind of ride it forward (even if only a little bit or without even noticing you are doing it) and the round will chamber without a problem.

With the PM9, after being broken in, you need to almost violently slingshot it until you get yourself trained to not ride it forward or 'help it'. To explain this bit, take a solid grip on the slide, and of course the grip, then pull back firmly on the slide and don't so much let go of it as keep pulling the slide back until your hand comes off when it travels as far back as you can.

The PM9 will not chamber successfully if you ride the slide forward even a little bit.

Vicarious_Lee
06-28-2010, 22:29
Just had the same thing happen with my new P9 this week. Kahr says to drop the slide release to chamber a round, and that the pistol was not designed for slide-racking to the rear to chamber one.

The whole time I'd been loading a mag and dropping the slide via the slide release as per instructions. Flawless, and one of the reasons I chose the Kahr is because they worked that way, and that's the way I'm most familiar with reloading drills based on the pistols I've owned since childhood.

I did, just for the sake of testing, try to rack the slide to the rear to chamber. The times I did it forcefully, it did not work. The times I did it violently enough to punch myself in the chest when my hand slipped off the back of the slide, it worked like a charm.

Try that for FTF and FTE drills. Otherwise just use your thumb to drop the slide via the release lever and all should be good.

Alphonso
07-02-2010, 16:53
FWIW, I never had a problem slingshotting my PM9--starting from the day it was new.

In fact, I shot a whole bunch of rounds through it the first day before I even read the manual and learned about the need to load the first round with the slide stop...

OldLincoln
07-03-2010, 00:35
I can slingshot my Colt Commander very casually and it loads smoothly. However, my PM9 requires a serious slingshot to be successful. That is, vigorously pull the slide back while vigorously pushing the gun forward ripping the slide out of your weak hand. It simply won't do to try it slowly.

It hurts a bit if your slide ribs are sharp and if it's not black I suggest smoothing the sharp edges. Also, you might put a glove on your weak hand a dry rack it a couple hundred times to help break in the recoil spring.

cgjane
07-22-2010, 18:27
Funny, I never slingshot any of my pistols. I always reload only when empty, via slide lock. That is why I have never questioned my PM9.

the perfesser
07-22-2010, 21:40
Cross-reference to similar thread on the racking vs. dropping slidelock debate:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242094

sdsnet
07-22-2010, 22:09
The PM series pistols have tight tolerances in order to build such a small pistol. This means you have to keep it properly lubricated at all times for consistent operation. Follow the Kahr lubrication sticky in the Kahr forum. It makes a big difference.

mitchg233
07-23-2010, 00:53
Funny, I never slingshot any of my pistols. I always reload only when empty, via slide lock. That is why I have never questioned my PM9.
Be sure to tell the bad guy to wait a momento while you clear a misfire, lock the slide back, and release (while crossing fingers).

Oh that's right, it will never screw up, so no need for the drill........right?

briang2ad
07-23-2010, 19:47
Lets face it - the barrel is short and the gun is LIGHT...

So... Kahr desinged it with a double recoil, spring which is NOT as 'smooth' or long and acts differently than a single - I think this is part of the issue, and why a UNIFORM unencumbered release from the slide catch is best.

It would be nice to operate it JUST like any other auto, but the book says no.

Funny - until the last year or so, I always used a slide release, now I do otherwise on my CZs and Hi Power, and NOW I bought a PM9 - go figure.