Magazine Extensions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Extensions?

Brad737
06-20-2010, 20:29
Hello Mr. Ayoob,

First off, let me say how pleased I am that you frequent GT and take the time to answer our questions. It's an honor. I own 4 of your books, and I deeply appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping me protect my family.

My question regards magazine extensions. In the Gun Digest books for Concealed Carry and Combat Handgunnery, I didn't see any mention, and I after a quick googling, I didn't see any quick answers, so I hope you don't mind me asking this here.

Since the assault ban expired and high-capacity magazines are again available, do you know of any legal ramifications of adding the Plus 2 extensions to my magazines? My CCW is a Glock 30SF. It's not totally stock, as I've added TruGlo TFO night sights, an OEM Glock extended slide release and the NY-1 trigger. In your experience as an expert witness, do you believe it would be a problem carrying my CCW with the extensions? I've already purchased them, but am hesitant to attach them until I find some more information. For reference, in the holster, I have the 30 loaded with the stock 10-round mag loaded with Ranger Ts, and I use a G21 mag with the A&G grip extension (just to fill out the grip, no added capacity). While that's certainly a lot of firepower, I feel an additional 4 rounds would definitely be a welcome addition.

If you've answered this previously, I apologize.

Thanks,
Brad

Mas Ayoob
06-20-2010, 21:24
Brad, so long as you're not in one of the jurisdictions that still requires what some of us call "Clinton magazines" -- and so long as you've run lots of ammo through THAT gun with THAT ammo and THOSE magazines, and determined the combination to be reliable -- I don't see any problem.

Best,
Mas

Brad737
06-22-2010, 07:27
Mas,
Thanks for your advice. I've done a bit more research, and the Clinton mags aren't required here, so I'll attach the extensions. I haven't had the 30SF that long, but it's been fantastic so far. It's much more accurate than I am, and it's been 100% reliable, even when I've shot junk Walmart ammo. I followed your advice and installed the NY-1 trigger spring, and have installed the 3.5 lb connector, since Glock approves now. The trigger pull is a lot more crisp.

Thanks again,
Brad

Brad737
07-06-2010, 06:57
Just a quick update for everyone. I did install the mag extensions, but found they print when carrying concealed. So now I use the extensions only on my spare mags, not on the 10-round mag I'm carrying in the gun.
Brad