Springfield vs. ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield vs. ?

Sammael
06-21-2010, 19:11
Question for my fellow 1911 enthusiasts with a quick preface:

This isn't another 'What's the best budget 1911 out there?' thread, but for what it's worth, I do like the RIAs for that particular purpose...

That being said, I am picking up a Springfield Stainless Loaded in about a week, and I was wondering if there are other 1911s that compare in this price range. The SA will run me about $575, and will be previously owned.

What I am looking for: Main factor is quality, but features is a very close second.

Features vs quality vs quality of features:

I know that other manufacturers are offering slightly-better-than entry level 1911s in the same price range - For instance, Taurus offers their line of 1911s with quite a few features already in place, but I also know that some 1911 shooters regard their 'custom features' as poorly executed and that the quality of the mods is suspect in some circles.

I've also heard it said that if you spend the money Taurus claims they are saving you on your own mods from a competent smith, you would come out far ahead, quality-wise.

Other considerations: STI, Colt 1991, Kimber, etc - but to get an equivalent pistol, I would think the price would be substantially higher than $575... by at least 300 bucks or so.

Don't get me wrong - I'm definitely not against spending money, especially when it comes to a pistol I fully intend to keep for the long haul - but not all of us are loaded like Bac. :supergrin:

In all seriousness, I am just looking for a quality firearm at a good price. This will be part of my regular range rotation, and will be shot quite a bit. Hell, with any luck, it may just get handed down to my brand-new baby boy someday.

I've heard great things about SA's customer service, and at $575, the Loaded seems like a no-brainer.

I have owned a blued SA Loaded in the past, and was quite happy with it, but... am I overlooking something?

What say ye? Are there any others in that price range that I should be checking out?

bac1023
06-21-2010, 19:18
At that price, you probably won't get much more value than a used Loaded in the new 1911 market.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the Loaded. If you can find an SW1911 or Kimber Custom II for the same price, go for it.

BuckeyeBlast
06-21-2010, 19:21
Can be had for $630 new. STI Spartan. Will likely be my next purchase: http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

Quack
06-21-2010, 19:25
shop around. i don't know if $699 is in your budget, but i picked this up for $699 (NIB is ~$1200-$1300)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2443.jpg

for $575, a Loaded is a good deal, like it was years ago, but for the NIB cost, there are other alternatives.
I know a shop near me has a pre-owned Loaded parkerized for $599.

bac1023
06-21-2010, 19:27
shop around. i don't know if $699 is in your budget, but i picked this up for $699 (NIB is ~$1200-$1300)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2443.jpg

That was a hell of a price for that Trophy Match, Quack. :wow:

Quack
06-21-2010, 19:32
That was a hell of a price for that Trophy Match, Quack. :wow:

i thought so too :supergrin:
it needed a little love, but nothing major.
JetGuns (Bud's Gun Shop in Paris, KY)

Sammael
06-21-2010, 19:40
I would love to find a Trophy Match for 699! :faint:

Re:price:

Yeah, I can go up a few more hundred bucks, but I figure pound for pound, bang for the buck, the stainless Loaded at 575 would be hard to beat, although that Spartan looks very tempting as well...

Which brings up another factor: finding a similar quality gun in stainless for a similar price would be that much more difficult - not that I am stuck on stainless, by any means... but it couldn't hurt.

Bac, can you elaborate on why you don't care for the Loaded model?

Thanks for all the input so far, fellas.

Quack
06-21-2010, 19:41
I would love to find a Trophy Match for 699! :faint:

Re:price:

Yeah, I can go up a few more hundred bucks, but I figure pound for pound, bang for the buck, the stainless Loaded at 575 would be hard to beat, although that Spartan looks very tempting as well...

Which brings up another factor: finding a similar quality gun in stainless for a similar price would be that much more difficult - not that I am stuck on stainless, by any means... but it couldn't hurt.

Thanks for all the input so far, fellas.

i bought a NIB SS Loaded for $499 and what makes it more surprising is that i bought it from Gander Mountain. That was back in 2002 though :crying:

Sammael
06-21-2010, 19:51
Dang, Quack... wish I had the luck with 1911 purchases you do!

And here I thought I was getting a deal at 575, lol. :)

Quack
06-21-2010, 19:54
i look for deals :)

bac1023
06-21-2010, 19:57

Its not a bad gun. I just don't think its fit as well as its competition in the same price range.

When it comes to enhanced Springfields, I like the TRP on up.

Magus
06-21-2010, 21:24
I've said it many times, but in the price vs. quality equation, Springfield is hard to beat.

There's always better stuff out there. But Springfield in that G.I., Mil-Spec, Loaded price range....they're really hard to beat for what you're getting. Their 1911's are well built and anything you don't like about them is pretty easily replaced with an aftermarket part. They are also backed by probably the best customer service in the business. I'd hop on that Loaded at that price, it isn't even really a question.