Best Survival Knife? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Survival Knife?

Beware Owner
06-23-2010, 11:40
Self explanatory.

Marine8541
06-23-2010, 12:02
gerber's LMF II

Most over rated but still popular because people don't put their knives through real training the K BAR.

TexanOutWest
06-23-2010, 12:14
I really like my CRKT Ultima. My Kershaw Outcast has come in handy a number of times, although it's tad bit larger. I suppose if it came down to only one blade, I probably take my KA-BAR 1265, tanto, serrated, leather handle. I love that knife!

Tex

Beware Owner
06-23-2010, 12:19
gerber's LMF II

Most over rated but still popular because people don't put their knives through real training the K BAR.

No fancy serrated back side for you, huh? Do you prefer a folding saw for those purposes?

Big Bird
06-23-2010, 13:24
Most of the so called "survival knives" on the market are overpriced, overbuilt, oversized, clunky, and marketed for their ability to be used as a crowbar or an axe.

If you have ANY survival experience at all in the field you quickly realize how useless it is to baton wood. Why? Its a total waste of energy and not necessary for any single survival skill. You don't need to split wood to build a shelter, build a fire, or for any other reason. Besides being an unneccessary waste of time and eneergy battoning wood is also dangerous. Yet we see video's of people "testing" their survival knife in their back yard battoning wood... Bogus.

Ditto chopping. You can break ANY stick of wood you need to survive in the crotch of a tree with a lttle leverage. If you can't break it its too big for any survival application. If it for fire just leave it long and feed it into the fire as it burns. Easy...

You need a knife that will cut. Maintain its edge and be easy to sharpen. You need a knife that if you need to dress a game animal its not so big you can't maneuver it around inside a body cavity. You need a knife that can cut fruits and vegetables--not macerate them. You need a knife small enough and thin enough to cut small notches in small branches in traps.

Weight is an issue. A big knife means you will not be able to carry as much stuff.

4" blade...something like a Bark River Bravo 1, or on a budget a good Mora $15 Swedish Carbon blade. The RAT 3 or 4 is also a good option.

mesteve2
06-23-2010, 13:40
Most of the so called "survival knives" on the market are overpriced, overbuilt, oversized, clunky, and marketed for their ability to be used as a crowbar or an axe.

If you have ANY survival experience at all in the field you quickly realize how useless it is to baton wood. Why? Its a total waste of energy and not necessary for any single survival skill. You don't need to split wood to build a shelter, build a fire, or for any other reason. Besides being an unneccessary waste of time and eneergy battoning wood is also dangerous. Yet we see video's of people "testing" their survival knife in their back yard battoning wood... Bogus.

Ditto chopping. You can break ANY stick of wood you need to survive in the crotch of a tree with a lttle leverage. If you can't break it its too big for any survival application. If it for fire just leave it long and feed it into the fire as it burns. Easy...

You need a knife that will cut. Maintain its edge and be easy to sharpen. You need a knife that if you need to dress a game animal its not so big you can't maneuver it around inside a body cavity. You need a knife that can cut fruits and vegetables--not macerate them. You need a knife small enough and thin enough to cut small notches in small branches in traps.

Weight is an issue. A big knife means you will not be able to carry as much stuff.

4" blade...something like a Bark River Bravo 1, or on a budget a good Mora $15 Swedish Carbon blade. The RAT 3 or 4 is also a good option.

:embarassed: You KNOW!
I like posts where people know what the story is!
I have a Rat 4 and wish it was a 3. So, you are Right on!:wavey:

20South
06-23-2010, 13:56
SOG Seal Pup - Not sure if it qualifies as a "Survival Knife", but its what I carry into the woods and it has never failed me.

Marine8541
06-23-2010, 14:45
No fancy serrated back side for you, huh? Do you prefer a folding saw for those purposes?

I have no clue what your talking about but my LMF II does have a serrated back edge but I don't saw anything of consequence with it. I do carry a bone saw in my kit because of elk hunting that can be used for other uses. For expedient shelter building I use an E Tool to take down small sapling trees but to be honest I haven't done that since survival solo at the USMC MWTC.

ubersoldat
06-23-2010, 14:50
gerber's LMF II

Another vote from me as well.

Beware Owner
06-23-2010, 15:20
I have no clue what your talking about but my LMF II does have a serrated back edge but I don't saw anything of consequence with it. I do carry a bone saw in my kit because of elk hunting that can be used for other uses. For expedient shelter building I use an E Tool to take down small sapling trees but to be honest I haven't done that since survival solo at the USMC MWTC.

Either my eyes are failing me or the knife in the pic doesn't have a saw on the back side of the knife, but it does have a half serrated edge.

volsbear
06-23-2010, 15:33
I have a LMF II and a K-Bar. The Gerber seems easier to use. Plus, I just like Gerber knives.

That being said, the only thing I generally have on me is a Gerber Hinderer CLS.

mangkukhan
06-23-2010, 21:17
Buck Vanguard

Marine8541
06-23-2010, 21:57
Either my eyes are failing me or the knife in the pic doesn't have a saw on the back side of the knife, but it does have a half serrated edge.

I misunderstood, no I would never have one of those saw back knives because it simple comes down to utility and energy output. I don't think they are truly that useful and I'd put out a ton on energy for the payback when using it.

M1A Shooter
06-23-2010, 22:20
i carry a cold steel SRK in the field. i usually have a combination of my CRKT M21, Swiss Army knife and Gerber multi tool on me at all times. the SRK stays in my jeep and goes in my bag when im in the woods.

Huntinfool
06-23-2010, 23:55
I have a few dozen knives but I like my Gerber LMF-ll and even more so my RAT-3 and RAT-5. I know, I know, Big Bird & mesteve2 the 5 is a little on the overkill side but I like it! LOL!

~HF~

mrmedina
06-24-2010, 06:21
AK bayo knife?........I have folding knifes. But with a M-7 AR15/M16 bayo knife too. I don't know if this good enough, I do need a machete too.

quake
06-24-2010, 06:39
Don't know if I'd claim them as "best", but they're my personal favorites. Small = Gerber freeman guthook fixed blade.
Large = Marbles ideal. (Basis for the Kabar, but with a thicker, stronger blade.)

If I just 'had' to pick one, it'd be the marbles. Larger than ideal (no pun intended), but it can be made to do most anything the small one can, and the converse isn't as true if I went in the other direction.

Jmo and ymmv obviously.

Dennis in MA
06-24-2010, 07:27

I knew a girl that could crack walnuts with her. . . oh, of a TREE. Nevermind.

I'll agree for the most part. Altho I do like knowing I've got a "big blade" to hack thru whatever I need, the basics are a 4-6" knife that's easy to handle and pack. I'd pick the Swamp Rat RatManDu right now -only b/c it's cheap in comparison to a year ago.

Bilbo Bagins
06-24-2010, 07:30
The Gerber LMF series plastic handles will break with batoning. The Ka-bar rat tail tang can also bend and break off with heavy use.

I want something that has a full tang, that has around a 5" blade. Too long and its not good for processing animals and plants. Try to gut a deer, clean a bird or fish, or chop up veggies with a survival knife that has a blade 7" or longer. Too short and the knife is not good for woodworking so you will have difficulties building a shelter and processing firewood. Also I think when you go below a 3" blade you lose some lethality if you need to use the knife in a defensive situation

My suggestions are

Rat-5
http://www.knivesplus.com/media/QN-RAT5.jpg

Gerber Big Rock (cheap alternative at around $30)

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/med_1178243525-Bigrock3.jpg

Also there is the Ka-Bar Becker companion

https://www.kabar.com/images/BK2_large.jpg

Beware Owner
06-24-2010, 09:35
Wide drop point 5" full tang is about what I'm looking for, then, correct?

RWBlue
06-24-2010, 10:39

For the most part I agree, with a few exceptions.
If you are in the jungle a machete is the ting to have. It opens up paths.

If you are talking gardening in survival, there are knives specifically designed for things like harvesting corn.

If you are thinking about going to the far north, you may want to take an axe or hatchet to split wood to find find dry wood or chop down standing dead wood. (Wood lying on the ground tends to rot fairly fast.)

If you consider butchering large game part of survival look at my thread about butchering.

So I settled on a very small Gerber hatchet and knife that slides into the handle. I used it for a month as my only cutting tools. My only complaint is I WISH they would make the knife out of D2. The current steel doesn't hold the edge as well as I would like.

lawman800
06-24-2010, 11:26
I have had my Cold Steel SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) for 20+ years now. It is (or was) the standard issue knife to trainees in the BUD/S program (Navy SEALs). If it works for them, it will work for me.

I am not big on the Rambo type knives that will saw, hammer, bludgeon, carry matches, shave, start a fire, give me directions, fold laundry, cook a delicious and nutritious meal, and tell me bedtime stories. Just give me a knife that will cut and hold its edge.

MTelkman
06-24-2010, 17:02
After trying many different blade sizes and styles I ended up liking my Bark River Bravo-1 the best. I carry a smaller folder (2.9" blade) for when the Bravo-1 is too big.

Jeepnik
06-24-2010, 17:11
Oh heck, I've got quite a few knives that would be just dandy. But, truth be told, this is the one I'd grab first. It's sorta been proven.:whistling:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/Knifes/AirForceKnife.jpg

TheLastBoyscout
06-24-2010, 17:40
Not really a knife per se and I know most will disagree with me but I'll take the Supertool everytime. My real world/life experiences bear this out for me. I have long since forgotten all the uses in the field that a multi-tool can be used for. I have cleaned deer, repaired deer stands, picked up hot pots/pans, trimmed tree branches, worked on small engines, adjusted scopes, mounted scopes, removed scopes, removed stuck cases, sharpened stakes for tent pegs you name it. I will not be without one.

Jeepnik
06-24-2010, 17:49
Not really a knife per se and I know most will disagree with me but I'll take the Supertool everytime. My real world/life experiences bear this out for me. I have long since forgotten all the uses in the field that a multi-tool can be used for. I have cleaned deer, repaired deer stands, picked up hot pots/pans, trimmed tree branches, worked on small engines, adjusted scopes, mounted scopes, removed scopes, removed stuck cases, sharpened stakes for tent pegs you name it. I will not be without one.

Hey, it's a given one would have some sort of multi-tool on hand. I've got one of the original minis from leatherman that's ridden around in my jeans watch pocket for better than a decade. It goes even if a larger one does. Used to be FAA legal too.

RWBlue
06-24-2010, 18:21

Funny thing is, I don't use the knife part on my multi-tools. It is everything else I use.

Aceman
06-24-2010, 21:00
Existential answer: The one you are found alive with.

Do I have to pick one? I'll vote LMF just because I too am a Gerber fan.

Honestly, there is something to be said for Swiss/Leatherman technology.

Personaly, you'll find me with three:
Glock Field Knife (stop laughing - it's a tool and it works!)
Gerber Armor
Swiss Climber

For me, that pretty much covers Major knifing, general use, and multi-tasking.

Nothing wrong with the classic K-Bar or a good old fashioned Bowie of fair to middlin' quality.

G29Reload
06-24-2010, 23:08

And I'll take one over anything you're carrying any day of the week. Love mine:

http://www.striderknives.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=42&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Besides the MT I have a concealable HT. For EDC a CRKTM16.

lawman800
06-24-2010, 23:19
I have the CRKT M16LE but it didn't come from the factory with a sharp edge. I guess I'm too spoiled by Cold Steel that comes from the factory with a super super super sharp razor edge. Every single CS knife will shave hair off my arm out of the box and I have really fine hair which is not that easy to shave.

Mountain10mm
06-25-2010, 06:16
My philosophy is more of the "Nessmuk trio" (google it). It's a combination of three blades, one of which is typically an axe or hatchet. I think the exact combination of the blades is mainly determined by geography, i.e. if youíre in the jungle, the axe is replaced with a machete. If you're seaside, maybe the axe is replaced with a spear, in the mountains, the axe is definitely an axe. In such a threesome manner you have an axe to chop/shape larger pieces of wood for fire and shelter. Gathering small sticks and breaking them between trees is great for kindling or boiling a pot of water, but when the weather can be anything less than 40 degrees a night (down to -10, -20), heat and real logs/firewood is paramount for survival. Iíve sometimes carried a full-size folder bow saw with the hatchet to cut even larger pieces of woods for a fire if a needed it.

The medium knife is used for food prep., game skinning, daily chores, sharpening sticks, etc. It usually has a 3-6" blade, not too thick since chopping is not required.

The small knife/pocket knife is left for fine tasks, such as skinning delicate areas, crafts, eating, etc.

Most people already carry the two knifes, a folder in your front pocket and them some sort of fixed blade on the belt or in the pack. Just chose a smaller fixed blade and add an axe/hatchet and you are good to go.

I personally stay away form the Gerber axes because I don't trust the steel axe head molded into a fiberglass/resin handle. Yes, they are lighter weight, but there is no way they can be as strong or durable as an all steel axe where the head and handle are molded and machined from the same piece of steel.

barbedwiresmile
06-25-2010, 07:25
Another vote for small and sharp.

I own an LMF (and an old school USAF knife). I like it. But I'm not really sure what to do with it other than have it sit around looking cool. I never use it for anything, but I use my Moras constantly.

For reality, I'm a big Mora fan - carbon not stainless.

And for the price and weight, I could buy and carry 5 of them for the price of most entry-level "survival" knives. They hold an edge far better, are easier to sharpen with the single bevel, and if one is wrecked/ruined, I don't really care because it set me back $10. That said, I haven't ruined one yet despite hard use.

Fonzie
06-25-2010, 08:29
I have a RAT 4 and I like it. A good knife if you can only choose 1 knife.

bdcochran
06-25-2010, 09:23
I take out to your workshop and ask you to choose the best tool for survival. You blank out and then lecture me that a tool is just a tool and I need to define a purpose.

Ok.

Most people think that a "survival knife" is a knockoff of a Jim Bowie Bowie knife. With it you can take on the Mexican Army, a bear, a Communist or a gang member.

If you want that kind of knife, the best is made by Kent Turnipseed of Chandler, Arizona. It isn't a Bowie, but a result of study of human ergonomics and cutting movements. It is superb and not a clunker. quickshoot.com. and turnipseedtechnique.com. I doubt that you will convince him to make you one though, he is very busy.

Now for reality. You are more likely to get a split nail or a splinter than a Grizzy Bear in the wilds of your local state park (complete with Smokey the Bear signs, portable toilets and so forth). For this, the Swiss knife known as the Huntsman for about now $30 is the basic knife. Handles nails, splinters, cuts wood.

If you want secondary big survival knives, then they would be Randall, Ek, Blackjack, Marine Corp.

If you want a cut above, get something by Barry Dawson.

If you want a pocket folder, get an Emerson cQC7 (have 1/2 dozen). No longer made, but still available.

Here is the good news. If you have your knife on your person, one in the car, and one available at home when shtf, you are good to go.

RWBlue
06-25-2010, 10:57
Now for reality. You are more likely to get a split nail or a splinter than a Grizzy Bear in the wilds of your local state park (complete with Smokey the Bear signs, portable toilets and so forth). For this, the Swiss knife known as the Huntsman for about now $30 is the basic knife. Handles nails, splinters, cuts wood.

My only problem using my Swiss Army knife as a primary knife it is that the steel is very soft.

bdcochran
06-25-2010, 23:12
"Swiss Army knife- steel is very soft."

Yes.

Time of First Gulf War. Received order for 6 Spyderco Enduras. Why them, I asked? Because the Marines used them for every purpose under the sun until the blades were broken down so far, they were useless. Not wall hangers, just cheap, useful and replaceable.

Like I said, a knife is just a tool. If you figure on replacing it and not holding onto it for 20 years after shtf, then it works to use a less expensive knife.

Beware Owner
06-26-2010, 08:54
Rambo knives end up being decorative pieces, I see.

RWBlue
06-26-2010, 11:13
"Swiss Army knife- steel is very soft."

Yes.

Time of First Gulf War. Received order for 6 Spyderco Enduras. Why them, I asked? Because the Marines used them for every purpose under the sun until the blades were broken down so far, they were useless. Not wall hangers, just cheap, useful and replaceable.

Like I said, a knife is just a tool. If you figure on replacing it and not holding onto it for 20 years after shtf, then it works to use a less expensive knife.

Don't get me wrong, I have the FULL/LARGE/EVERYTHING Swiss Army. I tend to carry it on trips, but I don't use the knife. I use the tools.

I also carry a Gerber tool. It sometimes takes both tools to fix something. One side holds the screw. The other side tightens the nuts.

Each one has a specialty.
The Gerber pliers are much better than the Swiss pliers.
The Swiss tweezers and magnifying glass are something the Gerber doesn't have.

Zombie Steve
06-26-2010, 11:19
I like the Gerber LMF... good, solid knife, but if I have to carry it, the Seal Pup gets my vote - much handier size. I have a Seal 2000 knife too, but I don't think I've ever taken it anywhere... just too big for my purposes.

PBCounty
06-26-2010, 11:19
I used to sport one of these, but then I was informed it wasn't actually a knife.

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/images/crocodile-dundee-screenshot-you-call-that-a-knife.jpg

Bilbo Bagins
06-26-2010, 15:14
I used to sport one of these, but then I was informed it wasn't actually a knife.

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/images/crocodile-dundee-screenshot-you-call-that-a-knife.jpg

:rofl:

17L
07-01-2010, 09:56
My vote is for the Fallkniven F1 - Google it.....

FerFAL
07-01-2010, 15:04
For traditional survival that includes wilderness, a short machete knife, 12" bowie or short tramontina machete.
Otherwise a SRK cold steel does nicely. At least in my opinon, survival includes shelter building and wood chopping, for that a bigger knife makes things so much easier.

FerFAL

Cicero
07-01-2010, 15:41
Bump for the swedish mora mentioned earlier.

The scandi grind keeps the hard carbon steel sharper longer, I can sharpen it easily in the field with a flat diamond hone, and I don't care that much if I lose it. They're inexpensive, high-quality tools that do exactly what they're supposed to do without the bells & whistles.

quake
07-02-2010, 05:57
Don't know if I'd claim them as "best", but they're my personal favorites...

...Large = Marbles ideal. (Basis for the Kabar, but with a thicker, stronger blade.)

If I just 'had' to pick one, it'd be the marbles. Larger than ideal (no pun intended), but it can be made to do most anything the small one can, and the converse isn't as true if I went in the other direction.

Jmo and ymmv obviously.

Well that figures. Never mind the Marbles Ideal recommendation - I learned just the other day that they (the Marbles Safety Axe Co.) went out of business and so they're no longer being made. :dunno:

(And no, mine are not for sale... :cool: )

bowtie454
07-02-2010, 06:28
I own a number of knives, fixed blade and folding. Every year or two, I decide I need a new knife to carry out in the woods. I window shop a lot looking at different knives with different features and I end up comparing them to some of the knives I already own and have used while hiking/camping/hunting. Some of these knives include Cold Steel SRK, SOG SEAL 2000 and SEAL Pup, Spyderco Endura and Police model, Ka-bar skinner. In the end, I always come back to the knive I've had for almost 25 years: Buck 119. It may not be the "best", but the "best" is a subjective term. No knife is the "best" at every task. I like the Buck 119 because it does all of the tasks I need a knife for in field, and does them very well. For my money, you can't go wrong with it. You also won't need to take out a loan or get on a waiting list to buy one. It certainly isn't the coolest or most high-tech knife around, but I'll take functional over cool any day.

mitchshrader
07-02-2010, 07:15
Two is one, I'm committed to redundancy and utility, not 'the best'.

The best 'Bang-Buck' is my goal, and some knives I own that I'd call survival knives are Rat-III D2 steel (x2), overbuilt 3.5" blade camp knives.. I got 'em used for 50$ each

USAF Pilots 'Survival Knife (x2) @ 40$, 1095, 5" blade

Kershaw Outcast, 10" blade, D2 (x3) 65$

Ek daggers, D2, 6" double edged (x5), micarta scales, brass rivets, closeouts 50$

CRKT M16 in several variations, all spear points, some PE and some combo edge, fast opening & fast to sharpen (1200 grit crockstick)

Buck Seki Ultralight 2 blade locking folder (x2) very close to the BYRD Wings in design. (x2), ebay 30$ each

And several hatchets, Granfors Bruks small forest axe (roughly 100$) and a vintage Firestone Half-Axe (don't remember price but 50$?), A Sater Banko mini that's too sharp, and a Kelly Perfect that's 99% as good.. For a camping weekend, the Granfors Bruks.. for a month long winter camp the Firestone.Or the full size Collins double-bit..

The average commercial hatchet is junk. A good forged axe or half-axe is a lifesaver. It's very hard to emulate one, using a knife.

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2010, 19:40
Oh heck, I've got quite a few knives that would be just dandy. But, truth be told, this is the one I'd grab first. It's sorta been proven.:whistling:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/Knifes/AirForceKnife.jpg

Like that one a lot. Carried it into and out of two wars and constant duty at the ranch and when hunting. I've abused the heck out of it, and it's still here. If I ever break it, I'm out 17 dollars.

I haven't hammered it through an engine block and then jumped up and down on the handle, but I still like it.

Until they make something out of adamantium, I'll use this.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-2.gif

Jeepnik
07-03-2010, 10:22
Like that one a lot. Carried it into and out of two wars and constant duty at the ranch and when hunting. I've abused the heck out of it, and it's still here. If I ever break it, I'm out 17 dollars.

I haven't hammered it through an engine block and then jumped up and down on the handle, but I still like it.

Until they make something out of adamantium, I'll use this.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-2.gif

Got mine for free:whistling:

MTPD
07-04-2010, 04:39
CRKT M-16, because it's always with me! (And a big bowie at home isn't going to do me any good if I'm somewhere else when the SHTF.)

Dresden
07-04-2010, 13:33
First off I always carry a multitool...

As for a survival knife... For the money it's hard to beat a Cold Steel Bushman. I've put mine through hell and it's held up like a champ!

drVince
02-10-2012, 08:35
Well this is Glock-Talk , not ?? :o)

For me it's the Glock 81.
Try it, and you'll see.

http://www.knifetest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312

http://killer.iweb.pl/forum_users/Fred/Glock81/glock81.JPG

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/44302/2878163640100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

G29Reload
02-10-2012, 09:28

Disagree. Somewhat.

I'm a 2-knife kinda guy.

I think smaller, sharper more versatile puts me in my EDC, a CRKT M16.

For indestructible and awesome, I'd take my Strider any SHTF day of the week.

drVince
02-10-2012, 09:37
After investigating quite some time myself looking for the 'ultimate
survival knife' on the internet ,
It seems to me that the : Ka-Bar BK2 "Campanion" is the most
well-reviewed and sought-after survival knife.

FLA45fan
02-10-2012, 10:36
Cold Steel SRK in the major events bag, Navy Mk III, mod 0 in my tac bag, and a SOG Seal Pup in the hiking day pack. I think any could work in just about any situation for me. IMHO

Tom Kanik
02-10-2012, 10:42
The knife that you have with you is the BEST survival knife. I live in the boonies, so I normally have a Cold Steel X-2 Voyager in my pocket and a Scrap yard 7-11 on my belt.

drVince
02-10-2012, 10:48
http://outdoornews.poorfish.com/2011/04/05/top-10-survival-knives-of-2011.aspx

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2012, 11:26
I'll always have two on me in the sticks. Gerber LMF II and Gerber Diesel multi tool.

quake
02-10-2012, 12:30
The sog seal pup and slightly-better seal pup elite are very good and very good values as well. The regular pup can be had for $50 most days, and the elite is usually $10 higher or so.

I personally prefer a larger knife, but many don't; and the fact is these are pretty good. A regular pup is what I recently put on my re-done ghb gear, and with a multi-tool in the sheath pocket, I'm comfortable with the capabilities. It'll never be my regular camping knife due simply to prefering a heftier knife, but it's still very good, very capable, and the combo of pup and multitool is only about the same weight as my regular camp knife alone; and total weight is a relevant consideration with gear that has to be carried all day every day.

lawman800
02-10-2012, 12:40
I rely on my Cold Steel SRK which I owned since 1992. Only needed re-sharpening once and that's my own fault for abusing it. Got it for $30 as a factory second because the finish on the handle was not up to their specs.

I prefer a medium sized hefty knife rather than a super big knife like my 12" blade Bowie or fancy fighting knife like the OSS for survival. They sure aren't going to be used as survival knives.

Bilbo Bagins
02-10-2012, 12:45
Well this is Glock-Talk , not ?? :o)

For me it's the Glock 81.
Try it, and you'll see.

http://www.knifetest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312

http://killer.iweb.pl/forum_users/Fred/Glock81/glock81.JPG

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/44302/2878163640100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

You know what my original post back in 2010, I did not own a glock knife back then. Since then I bought one and use it often when camping. I think its the best survival knife if you are on a budget, since they can be bought for under $35. As you shown on the link, the glock knife is extremely durable. Its also very lightweight at 7oz. The saw is basically a root saw, and while its not that great, it can be helpful to have.

cowboy1964
02-10-2012, 14:01
I've been researching knives for months now. Finally decided on a large Ka-Bar. Seems to have the best combination of features and size for my purposes.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/25

The BK2 will probably be my next purchase.

bpe5008
02-10-2012, 14:04
SOG Seal Pup - Not sure if it qualifies as a "Survival Knife", but its what I carry into the woods and it has never failed me.

Word for word, this is what I would have said if you hadn't said it first haha.

fx77
02-10-2012, 15:59
Would go with this one...
http://www.jayfisher.com/PJLT.htm

Raiden
02-10-2012, 20:00
I went with the Mora of Sweden route, so I could easily afford to add one to every one of my bags, caches and cars. Great blade for your hard earned bucks. It's not the most rugged, out of the bunch listed, but suits my needs well (I often have other tools designated for chopping, sawing, etc.).

However, I don't feel totally bare with just my EDC CRKT Drifter or Leatherman Kick multitool. I can still get plenty done with either, and have still gotten a lot of miles out of much MUCH lower-quality Chinese 440A knives. Just about anything is better than having to improvise a blade, on site.

Lone Kimono
02-10-2012, 22:21
I always go on knife tests site before I buy something. Not that I'd have to cut a brick with my knife, but I like something that can take a beating. The LMF did very well from what I remember.

What do you all think of this Folding Rat? From what is show it seems to have really come down in price.

Amazon.com: Ontario Knife Ontario Rat Series, Folding Knife with 3.25" Black Stainless Steel Blade, & Black Nylon Handle, Overall Length 8.620".: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21xL2uo22vL.@@AMEPARAM@@21xL2uo22vL

ViennaGambit
02-10-2012, 23:39
Big Busse fan here - it dont get much better.

For 7"-8" check out the SARsquatch or the NMSFNO.

For 10"+ check out the CG Battle Mistress or Bushwacker Mistress.

This thread needs more pics!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/ef6355a4.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/18549a65.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/320e1586.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/473952b9.jpg

Taphius
02-11-2012, 00:36
Cold steel gi tanto and a Roach belly

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

IV Troop
02-11-2012, 06:49
I prefer the newest version of the Swiss Army Knife. It is larger than the older versions and has just the right amount of practical everyday tools. It locks up sturdy and has a good blade. I carry mine every day in my gear bag.

bdcochran
02-11-2012, 07:57
dupeee

jellis11
02-11-2012, 08:14
I really want a Bravo 1 by Bark River... But I also don't have the money to drop on it.

Huntinfool
02-11-2012, 08:20
I prefer the newest version of the Swiss Army Knife. It is larger than the older versions and has just the right amount of practical everyday tools. It locks up sturdy and has a good blade. I carry mine every day in my gear bag.

Like this?? :supergrin:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/carousel/giant_swiss_side.jpg
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/giant_swiss.jpg
~HF~

G29Reload
02-11-2012, 08:46
The knife that you have with you is the BEST survival knife.

True, but its no good if it doesn't hold up.

Fixed blades need to be full tang. One solid piece.

G29Reload
02-11-2012, 08:47

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/carousel/giant_swiss_side.jpg
~HF~

really a little silly. beyond impractical. Even if you have the tactical wheelbarrow along.

wtf0ver
02-11-2012, 09:04
Big Busse fan here - it dont get much better.

For 7"-8" check out the SARsquatch or the NMSFNO.

For 10"+ check out the CG Battle Mistress or Bushwacker Mistress.

This thread needs more pics!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/ef6355a4.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/18549a65.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/320e1586.jpg

most excellent collection you have there. i have a swamprat ratmandu and i love it

G19freak
02-11-2012, 09:10
The answer is: The one you have with you AT THE TIME.

The only knife thats always with me is a Benchmade 520.

Is it a prybar? NO------but very stout and sharp.

ViennaGambit
02-11-2012, 10:35
most excellent collection you have there. i have a swamprat ratmandu and i love it

Thank you!

The RatManDu is one of the BEST knives of any Bussekin - its just perfection.

humanguerrilla
02-11-2012, 12:21
Thank you!

The RatManDu is one of the BEST knives of any Bussekin - its just perfection.

+1 perfect size, feel, design
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn460/humanguerrilla/ratsandmutt.jpg

and they've got some back in stock, no preorder necessary BTW
http://www.shop.ratknives.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6DD21FF6A67900687000E42AED57DD34.qscstrfrnt06?productId=208&categoryId=1

cowboy1964
02-11-2012, 14:03

~HF~

Hope nutnfancy reviews THAT soon! Will be 3 hours long.

ric0123
02-11-2012, 15:00
I looked hard at the LMF II after reading all the reviews and stories. I ended up with the Prodigy instead. Just a little shorter and $20 to $30 less. I'm not going to be in the deep back woods any time soon, but I wanted something that I new I wasn't going to break $42 on amazon. Can be had for less if you look around (I had a gift card for amazon when I bought it :D)

Imnotascoolasu
02-11-2012, 15:12
+1 perfect size, feel, design
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn460/humanguerrilla/ratsandmutt.jpg

and they've got some back in stock, no preorder necessary BTW
http://www.shop.ratknives.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6DD21FF6A67900687000E42AED57DD34.qscstrfrnt06?productId=208&categoryId=1
Who made the leather sheath? Am I right and that's a firesteel on it?

quake
02-11-2012, 15:58
...This thread needs more pics!...

Ask and ye shall receive. :cool:

This is my primary woods knife; a Marbles Ideal limited-run 8" by .25" with vacuum-epoxy-impregnated maple burl handle. Sheath is home-made, since I'm left-handed with a knife. This pic is old, taken when the knife was still new & shiny. It has much more 'character' now:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Marbles/Marbles003-small.jpg

One of my favorite demonstrations with the knife is to chop a 2x4 in half with it in less than ten seconds, and then shave paper with it. Impresses people almost universally when they see it the first time. Wish I'd bought some spares of the knife when it was being made, but didn't; so stuck with the normal 7" version for spares. Still a very good knife, just not as near perfect as the 8" version is for me personally.

humanguerrilla
02-11-2012, 15:59
Who made the leather sheath? Am I right and that's a firesteel on it?

Yeah, leather and kydex and a firesteel.
Martin Swinkels
http://martinsheaths.blogspot.com/

emt1581
02-11-2012, 18:05
I'm hoping my Busse DCBJ (Double Cut Boss Jack) will be it... I should get it in the mail late this week or early the next.

However I've researched and tried lots!! So far none have really impressed me in all areas. They either have a sucky/weak tip, ergonomics suck, dull quickly, chip, etc.

Again, I'm hoping my Boss Jack will be my new survival blade.

-Emt1581

Bolster
02-11-2012, 18:17
This is my primary woods knife; a Marbles Ideal limited-run 8"...

You made the sheath? Nice. I like the two-is-one philosophy on the snaps.

mac66
02-11-2012, 18:25
Fortunately, I've never had to use a knife to survive. I have however used small Swiss Army Knives on week long backpacking trips and canoe trips. I even gutted and skinned a deer with it once. It is and always has been my EDC knife.

My son gave me an Esee Azula for Christmas. I've been carrying it as a neck knife. Seems pretty cool and would likely do what I needed it to do.

M1A Shooter
02-12-2012, 00:47

what is the knife on the far right? i really like that blade profile.

emt1581
02-12-2012, 01:01

Not sure but the Boss Jack I mentioned is the 3rd and 4th from the right. Only mine will have a full choil and be the double cut (blasted) finish.

As for the model you are asking about sniff around here a bit....

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/713-Busse-Combat-Knives

I've seen that model a bunch of times there. Never been a fan of hawk bill-like designs myself but it definitely has it's uses.

-Emt1581

lawman800
02-12-2012, 01:17
Cold Steel sells their hawk bill blades cheap on clearance because they say it's their worst seller, consistently.

ViennaGambit
02-12-2012, 08:09

Thats the Busse Sus Scrofa - the originals were made for a helicopter crew.

Great great blade!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/8c6e4315.jpg

Here are some more pics of my Boss Jacks - I agree that its one of the greatest (and most practical) Busses made in years)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/b7397eb0.jpg

Tom Kanik
02-12-2012, 08:21
VG, you have a nice little collection of Busses there!:cool:

wtf0ver
02-12-2012, 08:26
really thinking of picking up a swamp rat rodent solution as my next knife. anyone have one?

ViennaGambit
02-12-2012, 08:30
VG, you have a nice little collection of Busses there!:cool:

Thank you very much! Since discovering Glocks though haven't been into collecting then as much as I'd like...

really thinking of picking up a swamp rat rodent solution as my next knife. anyone have one?

I had one - its a pretty small blade, but has a really good and comfortable handle - I remember thinking, WOW this is a small knife. Tough call - unless you want a small EDC knife, I'd pay the extra $30 and get a RatManDu...

emt1581
02-12-2012, 08:41
It's funny you should mention Glocks...because I'm the opposite way. I've been buying Glocks for 10 years or so. Only waiting for my first Busse to arrive.

I always think like that whether is it knives, vacations, whatever....how many Glocks could I buy for that price?? :supergrin:

-Emt1581

ViennaGambit
02-12-2012, 09:36
It's funny you should mention Glocks...because I'm the opposite way. I've been buying Glocks for 10 years or so. Only waiting for my first Busse to arrive.

I always think like that whether is it knives, vacations, whatever....how many Glocks could I buy for that price?? :supergrin:

-Emt1581

Haha - thats exactly how I think - it was how many Busses, now its how many Glocks - surprisingly they are very very close in price :supergrin:

Enjoy your first Busse and make sure you cut up your credit card after you receive it - Busses got a lot more addicting than guns when I was in the prime of my sickness...

emt1581
02-12-2012, 11:17
Haha - thats exactly how I think - it was how many Busses, now its how many Glocks - surprisingly they are very very close in price :supergrin:

Enjoy your first Busse and make sure you cut up your credit card after you receive it - Busses got a lot more addicting than guns when I was in the prime of my sickness...

I still enjoy buying the occasional gun or two but I've moved on from buying them weekly/monthly since the summer. However, when it comes to blades, they have to have a real/genuine purpose rather than just looking cool.

Right now I'm thinking about a Killa Zilla...but I do love my CS Gurkha Kukri so we'll see...

-Emt1581

Ruble Noon
02-12-2012, 12:28
I like the Buck 119

http://www.cabelas.com/fixed-blade-knives-buck-119-special-knife-1.shtml

T-Mac
02-12-2012, 13:13
There are a ton. I have a Gerber LMF 2 and like it. Nice sheath, heavy duty blade

RWBlue
02-12-2012, 13:44
I like the Buck 119

http://www.cabelas.com/fixed-blade-knives-buck-119-special-knife-1.shtml

I never really cared for the 119. The one I used was hard to get VERY sharp and was dull after one deer.

Have they changed the steel in the last 15 years?

Bolster
02-12-2012, 13:52
I carry a tactical putty knife. Hyde brand, sold at Home Depot. $5.

lawman800
02-12-2012, 20:57
I carry a tactical putty knife. Hyde brand, sold at Home Depot. $5.

Is it black? If not, it's not tactical, just a normal putty knife.:whistling:

quake
02-13-2012, 08:44
You made the sheath? Nice. I like the two-is-one philosophy on the snaps.

I did; thanks. I know there are makers out there that'll do left-handed sheaths, but I like doing some things like sheaths, belt holsters, simple blacksmithing, etc for myself to the limited extent that I can.

Not a "making" thing, but my most recent prep 'project' was piece-mealing a new ghb setup together, based on molle gear. Couldn't find exactly what I wanted as a pre-made unit, but was able to piece things together to make a setup that works very well for my personal preferences. If the truth be told, it turned out to be less than cost-efficient doing it that way, but it did let me put together something that fit my wants & needs better than a pre-made setup.

Bolster
02-13-2012, 10:44
Is it black? If not, it's not tactical, just a normal putty knife.:whistling:

Yes! Yes! Black, with a black/grey da-mustard-ascus finish to the blade. A Hyde "extra stiff" putty knife uses 1074 high carbon steel hardened around 55 Rc (yes, I called to check). You gotta flatten the back side first, and then you can put a chisel grind on the flip side. Mine's sharpened end, and one side. With my slow speed belt grinder I ground a 30 degree back-bevel, then put on a secondary 40-degree bevel for easy touchups. This bad boy can push-cut paper. Also does a great job of stripping caulking from the back of baseboard.

Pictured with a custom sheath, the inside made of lactose-infused high-density polyethlene (milk jug) wrapped in a polyethlene-coated cotton mesh matrix with rubberized substrate bonding (duct tape).

I mock your inferior Busse's. This is the preferred putty knife of the Navy Seals.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/Bolsterman/tac-putty-1.jpg

quake
02-13-2012, 11:00
...made of lactose-infused high-density polyethlene (milk jug) wrapped in a polyethlene-coated cotton mesh matrix with rubberized substrate bonding (duct tape).

As they say, "presentation is everything":
http://www.toptoppershop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/lappytop/images/double-sided-sticky-foam-tape-3mm-deep-uk-card-crafts--13351-p.jpg

On invoices and anything the customer may see, it's listed as "dual-layered industrial bonding adhesive". Sounds better (and therefore more expensive) than saying "two-sided sticky tape". :whistling:

WolfNotSheep
02-13-2012, 11:01
I really like the Kershaw Outcast and the Entrek Warrior...but I have many, many, many times relied on my old Cold Steel Bushman and my CRKT M21-04.

quake
02-14-2012, 09:25
All kidding and 'sticky-tape' issues aside...

I like a large knife - I'm a large, semi-brutish person and they just work better for me. But even though I prefer a large camp knife, I do NOT want one of those monstrosities like a Gil Hibben Rambo-4 type knife or similar. Imo, once beyond a 7-8" blade, the effect starts becoming a negative rather than a positive; some people would make the same argument for anything beyond a 6" blade.

I recently had a sheath made up for a cold steel trailmaster that's ambidextrous, includes a multitool pocket, a ferro rod pocket, and holds a sharpening steel, probably six months or so ago; and when I first got it back, I thought I'd really like it. Well, I do really like it in concept, but never do use or carry the silly thing as set up. It's just too friggin heavy, even with my penchant for large, fixed-blade camp knives. That, and the trailmaster handle is somewhat smallish as well (imo), just makes it second-tier at most for me personally.

But if a person just "had" to have a big, capable, versatile setup, this would work fine; I'd just want someone other than me carrying it all day.

Trailmaster 9 1/2", ambidextrous dangler sheath, and attached pouch:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Cold%20Steel/TM-BSL-all-edited.jpg

Holds knife, leatherman supertool 300, ferro/magnesium rod, and sharpening steel. (See what I mean about the handle - anyone using a knife that large, is liable to have bigger hands than that):
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Cold%20Steel/TM-BSL-contents-edited.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Cold%20Steel/TM-BSL-contentsopen-edited.jpg

For those who want a truly massive knife setup and don't care about weight (which I think is a mistake), you might try something like that setup. But you better be LG1's size - I'm borderline freakish and it's still too much for me to want to carry around.

Mr.Pliskin
02-14-2012, 12:09

I've had to pry locked door from its frame before, the only thing I had on me was a ESEE 5, worked like a charm. I like multitaskers:supergrin: