New Or Used Saiga 12 ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Or Used Saiga 12 ?

Glocker08
06-24-2010, 13:36
I'm considering getting a Saiga 12. I just don't if I should buy new or used. Obviously,the potential for a better deal (price wise) would be a used one, but like they say, "When you buy used, you never really know what you're getting".

When I see the used S-12s for sale online, there is always the question in the back of my mind, "Why are they selling the gun, is there something wrong with it ? " or "If it's such a great gun, then why are they trying to get rid of it ? "

So, buy used and take the chance of getting one with issues or pay the extra money for a new one ? Damn it, I hate it when I can't make up my mind. :upeyes:

What do you guys think ? :dunno:

cj5mrt
06-24-2010, 14:24
I buy used guns all the time. If it's a quality piece I really don't worry too much. Just look for obvious signs of abuse.
Sometimes people buy gun XX and decide they don't like it. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Traded it for the gun I really wanted.

JMHO

Mike

method
06-24-2010, 23:14
I bought my S12 used. Got it for $330 when they were going for about $450 new, just before they spiked to $550+. Is an EAA import, so it was a year or two old at the time I reckon. The rear of the frame was beat a little bit, making the take down button a little sticky to get out. No real problem though, put a buffer in when I did the conversion, and all is well.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/8700/php4d3m9epmwi6.jpg

I think starting with a used gun that already had some use on it made it less nerve wracking to cut into when I did the conversion too. Plus what I saved from new made for the basic conversion parts.

Glocker08
06-25-2010, 09:58
I bought my S12 used. Got it for $330 when they were going for about $450 new, just before they spiked to $550+. Is an EAA import, so it was a year or two old at the time I reckon. The rear of the frame was beat a little bit, making the take down button a little sticky to get out. No real problem though, put a buffer in when I did the conversion, and all is well.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/8700/php4d3m9epmwi6.jpg

I think starting with a used gun that already had some use on it made it less nerve wracking to cut into when I did the conversion too. Plus what I saved from new made for the basic conversion parts.

:wow: $330 for an S12 ?! That's cheap, even for a used one. Sweet rig BTW. I'm diggin' the contrasting black handguard with the plum buttstock and grip. I might do that with mine when I get it and convert it, but with od green. :cool:

method
06-25-2010, 10:45
:wow: $330 for an S12 ?! That's cheap, even for a used one. Sweet rig BTW. I'm diggin' the contrasting black handguard with the plum buttstock and grip. I might do that with mine when I get it and convert it, but with od green. :cool:

Yeah, I was happy with the price, but S12's used to be had for less than $300 new in the box, but what are ya gonna do? They really started to appreciate after the assault weapons ban expired in '04, and they could be converted back to the proper pistol grip configuration.

Thanks for the props. I went with plum just to have something different, don't see too many Kalashnikovs with plum stocks.

NiteWhistler
06-25-2010, 14:11
I went with a brand spanking new one never looked back and couldnt be any happier. :dancing: