Whats a fair price for a NIB SA TRP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats a fair price for a NIB SA TRP?

Flipz
06-24-2010, 21:27
Im interested in getting a SA TRP in the black Armory Kote finish. Im just not sure whats a fair price for one. Ive seen plenty out there with prices ranging from $1400 to a whopping $1700. Obviously I dont want to overpay on an already expensive firearm so I just want to know whats fair.

If you were going to buy one what would you be willing to pay for one? Is $1400 a fair price?

Also, what alternatives would you be looking at in the $1000-$1500 price range?

I would prefer the following features in the 1911 I decide on:

Steel frame
Match barrel and bushing
Tuned trigger
Low profile Novak style combat night sights
Front strap checkering
Beveled magwell

One last question, if you purchase a firearm online do you have to pay tax on it when it arrives at your FFL?

Thanks!

Quack
06-24-2010, 22:11
www.jetguns.com has them for a little less than $1300.

Jet guns is Buds in Paris, KY

Quack
06-24-2010, 22:15
http://www.jetguns.com/product_info.php?cPath=325_194_223&products_id=291

Not sure about Maryland, but I don't have to pay sales tax on an out of state purchase.

Flipz
06-24-2010, 22:20
Wow, great price. Thanks so much Quack.

Do you have any opinions on the TRP?

Glockdude1
06-24-2010, 22:23
Do you have any opinions on the TRP?

Yes, it is a very nice 1911.

:thumbsup:

Quack
06-24-2010, 22:26
it's a really good gun.

had a stainless one, but sold it after i bought a TGO-1 (from Bud's/Jet Guns) and then later bought a Custom Shopped AK TRP from Bud's/Gun Warehouse

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_0339.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2239.jpg

Flipz
06-24-2010, 22:29
Jet Guns is currently out of stock on the TRP right now. Im gonna contact them tomorrow and see when they will be back in stock. They have the best price I have seen by far.

fistpoint
06-24-2010, 22:32
Hey? What happened to the "soich" function? No workee...

I was going to link you to a really good review between the TRP and a Valor...but you get nothing now. Results from searches are practically empty for some reason.

The consensus from the owners on this and other 1911 forums is people like it, alot. I think the frontstrap is a bit sharp for my tastes, but not for the majority of respondents. If you have soft hands, grip one first.

Quack
06-24-2010, 22:33
I thought that they had one last week when I was there.
If you call, I bought my TGO-1 and a Trophy Match from Chris, who I believe is a manager. He may be able to help you out.

Quack
06-24-2010, 22:36
Another option, though it costs more, is the Dan Wesson Valor.
JG has the for about $1500

fistpoint
06-24-2010, 23:25
Aha, found it using super secret Interpol search functions...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885646

Joenpb
06-25-2010, 01:22
I've had mine for a few years, nice trigger & accurate. :nsb:

BuckyP
06-25-2010, 06:56
I've thinking about a TRP these last couple weeks. And I was doing so good in gun purchaser's rehab.

:nailbiting:

Monte#2
06-25-2010, 07:04
They are usually averaging around $1,300 when I see them...I got mine NIB for $1,050 a year ago at a gun show...best deal I have ever seen on one. Look around though...under $1,300 is not impossible. They are GREAT guns!

BuckyP
06-25-2010, 07:13
The write up says:

The TRP standard line is designed around the same specifications as the FBI contract pistol, the TRP-PRO model. The Springfield TRP offers nearly the same performance and features as the TRP-PRO model at a fraction of the cost.

What makes the gun cheaper than the pro if it offers all the same features? :dunno:

glock2740
06-25-2010, 08:03
Im interested in getting a SA TRP in the black Armory Kote finish. Im just not sure whats a fair price for one. Ive seen plenty out there with prices ranging from $1400 to a whopping $1700. Obviously I dont want to overpay on an already expensive firearm so I just want to know whats fair.

If you were going to buy one what would you be willing to pay for one? Is $1400 a fair price?

Also, what alternatives would you be looking at in the $1000-$1500 price range?

I would prefer the following features in the 1911 I decide on:

Steel frame
Match barrel and bushing
Tuned trigger
Low profile Novak style combat night sights
Front strap checkering
Beveled magwell

One last question, if you purchase a firearm online do you have to pay tax on it when it arrives at your FFL?

Thanks!
I'd suggest a Kimber Stainless TLE as an option in the price range and style of gun that you're looking at. They aren't TRP's, but they're damn good guns, especially for right around $1000.

Quack
06-25-2010, 08:08
The write up says:

What makes the gun cheaper than the pro if it offers all the same features? :dunno:

The Pro has no MIM, S&A magwell, Nowlin's barrel (now an Springfield barrel), Black-T finish, hand fit by the Custom Shop, real Novak's, 1.5" @ 25yrd accuracy and has to maintain it for i think 20k rounds, 6-mags, no FCS

The TRP is a production built gun, with MIM, Armory Kote, Springfield magwell, factory barrel, 2.5" @ 25yrd accuracy, FCS.

BuckyP
06-25-2010, 08:16
The Pro has no MIM, S&A magwell, Nowlin's barrel (now an Springfield barrel), Black-T finish, hand fit by the Custom Shop, real Novak's, 1.5" @ 50yrd accuracy and has to maintain it for i think 50k rounds, 6-mags, no FCS

The TRP is a production built gun, with MIM, Armory Kote, Springfield magwell, factory barrel, 2.5" @ 25yrd accuracy, FCS.

Great info / comparison. Thanks!!

Quack
06-25-2010, 08:17
and straight from Springfield.

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional is a full custom pistol that begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
customshop@springfield-armory.com

Quack
06-25-2010, 08:22
and some more reading on the Pro.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_144_24/ai_57886947/

While all of the FBI's requirements were demanding, the most rigorous was accuracy. Chosen at random, two of the five guns had to shoot no more than 1.5" at 25 yards for three 10-shot groups from a Ransom Rest. Then the guns would be shot for 20,000 rounds in an endurance test, after which a second accuracy test would be conducted with no more than 15 percent degradation in accuracy being acceptable.

Wilson's, Colt's and Kimber's guns all failed the accuracy test. Kimber's guns were the worst, shooting 3.5", according to FBI records. The only two candidates to pass were Springfield Armory and Pro Gun. As noted previously, Colt filed a protest over the ammunition required for the accuracy test, which was rejected.

Flipz
06-25-2010, 09:02
I just spoke with Amber over at Jet Guns, what a nice woman. She was extremely helpful. They have some TRP's on order so she suggested to check back with them in a few weeks.

Quack,
Thank you for suggesting them. In just a 10 minute conversation with Amber I could tell that they are a great shop to do business with. Once they have the TRP's in stock and I have the money together, they are getting my business for sure.

Also, great write up on the TRP & Valor. Gave me a lot to think about. Even though I am definitley leaning towards the TRP I will keep researching other 1911 options.

A local shop near me has a TRP for $1450. Around here its a pretty good deal. Unfortunately I live in one of those high priced guns area. But after looking online and with Quack's help, there is definitley a better deal out there, Jet Guns.

Quack
06-25-2010, 09:12
No Problem. :)

yep, Amber is nice as well, my friend ordered a M&P-9 from them and dealt with her.
She's helped me last week when i stopped by looking as some guns.

while you are waiting, check your local FFL's to see what their fee's are, so you are not surprised with any crazy fee's.

so the question is, did they answer Bud's or Jet Gun's?

also the AK TRP doesn't feel as sharp as the SS TRP, must be the coating that cut's down on the sharpness.

Flipz
06-25-2010, 09:24
No Problem. :)

yep, Amber is nice as well, my friend ordered a M&P-9 from them and dealt with her.
She's helped me last week when i stopped by looking as some guns.

while you are waiting, check your local FFL's to see what their fee's are, so you are not surprised with any crazy fee's.

so the question is, did they answer Bud's or Jet Gun's?

also the AK TRP doesn't feel as sharp as the SS TRP, must be the coating that cut's down on the sharpness.

Good question. I dont remember. :dunno:. I got the number off their website. Are they one and the same?

I handled the AK TRP yesterday. I liked the amount of sharpness. I thought the traction of it was great. I'll take your word on the SS as I havent seen one in person.

As far as the transfer fee goes it would be $80. I know that sounds high to most of you but the reason why its up there, or atleast the reason as its explained to me is because Springfield doesnt include a fired casing with their 1911's from the factory. In MD it is required that a casing be supplied. So the local shops take care of this for a fee ofcourse. The $80 covers the fired casing, backround check, and transfer fee. No tax is charged on either the $80 or the purchase price of the firearm. $80 still sounds high to me but there is no place close enough that does it for any less.

Quack
06-25-2010, 09:33
I believe that they were the original Bud's location (Paris, KY), which was sold in the last year. The website is Jet Gun's, but the shop still has Bud's on it.

Bud's in Lexington (Budsgunshop.com) has Gun Warehouse/Bud's Police Supply on the new shop.

Rinspeed
06-25-2010, 10:12
The Pro has no MIM

The PRO has four high quality MIM parts in it.