Another Home Invasion Murder Here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Home Invasion Murder Here

MTPD
06-25-2010, 07:16
Just watched this surveillance camera video on the local news. A dark color SUV pulls into the victim's driveway last night. 4 suspects get out, all masked, all armed. The guy in the lead is carrying what appears to be an AK with his left hand. Another is carrying a pistol-grip pump shotgun, the other 2, pistols. They had obviously planned it all out ahead of time because they were in sinc and there wasn't any hesitation, confusion or talking. They close the SUV doors quitely (didn't slam them) climb over a fence and enter the home from the side or back (the video only shows them driving in, getting out and heading for the house/fence). Inside they confront two males in their 20's demanding money. They shoot and kill one victim before fleeing.

The point man is carrying (edited) a folding metal chair to climb over the fence and an AK!!!

How are you going to stop this kind of attack? They obviously knew they were on camera because they already had masks on when they got there. Apparently the camera didn't bother them a bit. It took them only 10-12 seconds from the time they drove in until they breached the fence. And they walked, didn't run.

There are lots of homes here on the border with 2-3 pit-bulls chained at various locations around the fenced yards. Maybe that's the best idea?

The story and video clip is on KRGV.com

ubersoldat
06-25-2010, 07:27
Locked doors. A dog, an alarm, keeping security lights on at night, and having a good relationship with those that live around you will all help.

But the main thing you can do to not have 4 heavily armed men hit your house in a home invasion would be to not sell drugs.

alexanderg23
06-25-2010, 07:30
move.

LApm9
06-25-2010, 09:27
Just watched this on a surveillance camera video. A dark color SUV pulls into the victim's driveway last night. 4 suspects get out, all masked, all armed. The guy in the lead is carrying a SWAT-type bullet-proof shield with his right arm and what appears to be an AK in his left hand. Another is carrying a pistol-grip shotgun, the other 2, pistols. They had obviously planned it all out ahead of time because they were in sinc and there wasn't any hesitation or talking. They close the SUV doors quitely (didn't slam them) climb over a fence and enter the home (the video only shows them driving in and heading for the house/fence). Inside they confront two males in their 20's demanding money. They shoot and kill one victim before fleeing.

The point man is carrying a SWAT-type bullet-proof shield and an AK!!! Holy Cow!

How are you going to stop this kind of attack? They obviously knew they were on camera because they had masks on when they got there. Apparently the camera being there didn't bother them a bit. It took them only 10-12 seconds from the time they drove in until they breached the fence. And they walked, didn't run.

There are lots of homes here on the border with 2-3 pit-bulls chained at various locations around the fenced yards. Maybe that's the best idea?

These kind of guys would just poison/drug/shoot the dogs first.

I don't think the kind of numbnuts crooks they have around here would be capable of that kind of discipline. When they opened the car door, a bunch of empty cans would clatter out onto the driveway and one of the invaders would drop his cigarette lighter into the trash on the rear floor and would spend a couple of minutes rummaging for it while the others stood around and smoked.

Those were some serious "professional" criminals. There is little defense against them other than 24-hour armed guards. It sound like that party could have taken down a police station.

tx787
06-25-2010, 09:54
But if the main thing you can do to not have 4 heavily armed men hit your house in a home invasion would be to not sell drugs.

This.

MTPD
06-25-2010, 10:08
This.

The TV didn't say why this house was targeted, but I can probably find out from a couple of cop buddies we are partying with tomorrow night (a Chief of Police and a Robbery Squad Sergeant).

You are right, drug money is usually the target. There are major drug busts here all the time = busts involving $500k - $750k worth of pot or coke are nothing unusual, so somebody has to have a pile of cash lying around.

My concern is that maybe they'll hit the wrong house. A young cop lives right next door and who knows who might be after him? He had his new house sprayed with MS-13 grafitti a few weeks ago.

Up until lately I was feeling pretty safe with a 9mm in my pocket all the time, but not after watching that video.

GameGlocks
06-25-2010, 13:42
You need to rewatch the video. The lead guy is carrying a metal folding chair not a shield. Probably used it to climb the fence like the story says. :wow:

ubersoldat
06-25-2010, 13:54
You need to rewatch the video. The lead guy is carrying a metal folding chair not a shield. Probably used it to climb the fence like the story says. :wow:

Ive seen enough wrastlin matches on the tube to know that those folding chairs are downright dangerous.
Better ban them for the children.

AZBru88
06-25-2010, 15:43
Layering and hardening is your best protection.
1)Camera's with audio alarms for motion.(see and hear whats coming gaining you a few seconds to get every one to your safe room)
2)Motion Lights(Let the neighbors see)
3)Alarms(Let the neighbors hear)
4)Dog's(extra warning audio for you, plus extra defense, will slow down bad guys until they are shot)
5)Hardened entrance and windows(slows down the BG's giving you more time to reach your safe room)
6)Access to guns in varies places around the house(Hard to fight off 4 guys that are heavily armed)
7)A plan to get every one to a hardened safe room with a cell phone to alert the police (again its all a time thing, slow them down, get to a more defensible place, make your stand and hope the Police show up in a hurry)
Thats my 2 cents, please add to the list for your own personal situation.
Other things to think about;
Medical supplies, water/food, and fire suppression.
Phone, guns and ammo.

Deaf Smith
06-25-2010, 17:48
MTPD,

Been thinking about such as you are posting. You know a 12 guage shotgun, wth 'tactical' (I hate that term) buckshot, aimed for the head, would be the ticket. Real hard to armor the head from such a weapon. Even a good dose of #2 goose load would be effective at room ranges.

Yes I still like my M1 Carbine but a 18 inch simi-auto 12 gauge would be very fearsome. Pitty it's difficult to get a 14 inch 11-87 entry gun. With batam stock that would be 'interesting'!

Oh, and remember guys, while YOU may not be a drug runner or pusher, the home invasion team could get the wrong address! It's happened before.

Deaf

jdavionic
06-25-2010, 17:57
But the main thing you can do to not have 4 heavily armed men hit your house in a home invasion would be to not sell drugs.

From what I've seen going through our county court, that is certainly common. Just had a similar case (not murder, but armed robbery). And that would be my guess in the OP.

HOWEVER, we've had presentations on crime in our area and they are seeing more home invasions where the homeowners are not drug dealers. Many of them are illegal immigrants that are targeted because they are less likely to call the cops. But they also target business owners that take money home for deposits in the morning, etc. They also target nicer residential areas where they will use the family members as hostages while one gets the bank card and PIN and hits the automated tellers. They also like having the members there so they have better odds of getting more stuff.

JW1178
06-25-2010, 23:34
Lots of good suggestions here but let me add mine: DON'T ADVERTISE MONEY OR VALUABLES. From a young age I was taught you don't count/expose money in public. The other day I was waiting in line to get the recipt for gas (company vehicle) and the guy in front of me pulled out a fat money clip full of 20s, 50s, and 100s, and we weren't in the best area of town. :upeyes:

+1

Sounds to me like they were targeted because someone knew someone had some money that was probably owed or something. Something is missing from the "victim's" story. Shady business attracts shady people.

MTPD
06-26-2010, 08:35

I watched it again, this time on the tiny (but clear & sharp) computer screen instead of the TV and you are right. The enlarged big screen TV version was so fuzzy that it looked like a shield, and they didn't give the "chair" explanation that the later version did. Thanks for the correction.

LApm9
06-26-2010, 14:27
move.

This may sound like cowardice to some and is unpalatable to others, but it may be wise. In some places, like where I live, a person can still live their life in reasonable safety without a pistol in their pocket all the time.

Of course, we have liberal firearms laws, CCW friendly police, and one of the highest firearms ownership rates in the nation, but that's another story.:cool:

Remember, when you move, your taxes, assets and job skills move with you.

HydraShok
07-08-2010, 16:37

fredj338
07-08-2010, 23:21
Remember, when you move, your taxes, assets and job skills move with you.
Well, not really. Say you have a house, paid for but not worth much, & you need to sell it to move to another area where a house costs more & your" job skills" are not as badly needed? It's not always as easy as it sounds.

Silverhawk500
07-09-2010, 00:26
http://comedylandfill.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/claymore-thumb1.jpg
I like your thinking, unfortunately my fourth wife will not allow it- first three were forgetful-once!!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MTPD
07-09-2010, 12:12
Update: They have arrested 3 of the 4 BG's. Never did hear what the motive was.