I just installed my XS Big Dot Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I just installed my XS Big Dot Sights

randyc74
06-25-2010, 13:33
I'm getting older with old eyes to match, so I ordered and installed a set of XS Big Dot night sights on my off duty EDC Glock 27. Installation was simple with the detailed instructions and included front sight/rear sight tool, daralon punch for knocking out the stock rear sight, and red thread lock compound. I did have to file down the rear sight a bit so that it slid into the slide rear sight cut out with just finger pressure (per instructions). Once the rear sight is centered, it is held in place by 2 set screws.

If I like the sights, I plan to install a set on my 2nd generation Glock 23. Has anyone else installed these sights on a 2nd generation frame and were there any issues with front sight installation?

Once I get some range time in, I will let you guys know how I like the XS Big Dots.

Randy

Wriggly
06-25-2010, 14:13
:popcorn::thumbsup: Looking forward to your report.

beforeobamabans
06-25-2010, 14:21
Just remember that these are not "range sights". The typical response from first trip to the range is WTH did I do? Like anything else, you can get used to them.

Travclem
06-25-2010, 14:26
I have the Standard dots on my 27 and I think they are the best combat sights you can buy.

ck1
06-25-2010, 15:22
Once I get some range time in, I will let you guys know how I like the XS Big Dots.

Randy

Let us know how long you go until you start to miss having a rear sight that actually serves a purpose... old eyes or not, big dots are a big gimmick, in no time you'll find that at the same distances the big dots are of any use you could probably hit with a gun that had NO sights.

(and please, no one needs to post that vid of Yeager hitting the pepper-popper at 100yrds with 'em, given a few shots you can hit one too without sights if you're a decent shot...)

BiggJohn
06-25-2010, 16:23
I have the XS Big Dot sights on my G27 and love them. I have no problems hitting at 25 yards consistently.

cosmose
06-25-2010, 16:28
awesome:) got any pics

sndmn11
06-25-2010, 18:47
I installed them myself on my 30sf and 2nd gen 19. No trouble installing on either pistol, and no difference in the installation steps.

glock2740
06-25-2010, 19:11
I'm getting older with old eyes to match, so I ordered and installed a set of XS Big Dot night sights on my off duty EDC Glock 27. Installation was simple with the detailed instructions and included front sight/rear sight tool, daralon punch for knocking out the stock rear sight, and red thread lock compound. I did have to file down the rear sight a bit so that it slid into the slide rear sight cut out with just finger pressure (per instructions). Once the rear sight is centered, it is held in place by 2 set screws.

If I like the sights, I plan to install a set on my 2nd generation Glock 23. Has anyone else installed these sights on a 2nd generation frame and were there any issues with front sight installation?

Randy
Congrats! I've been wanting a set for my G27.

I have the Standard dots on my 27 and I think they are the best combat sights you can buy.
But, I'm torn between the Big Dots and these. :dunno:

Thunderbolt56
06-25-2010, 19:21
Yes, let us know how you like them. I'm also looking at the XS standard dot, but can't decide on those or the Ameriglo Pro Operators.

DougW
06-25-2010, 20:23
I have Big Dot 24/7's on all 5 of my Glocks. 1-1gen G17, 1-3gen G17, 2-2gen G19's, and 1-2gen G26.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/MDWINK/DSCF0128.jpg

Love 'em! Great combat sight. Now, I wish I could find the Glock Light I lost!

Boxerglocker
06-25-2010, 20:29
3 G27's in the past all with XS Big Dot's. Bought em, carried them as EDC's and sold for one reason or another. Wanted another subcompact again but decided on the G30SF instead. XS Big Dots on the way from midway along with 1000K .45 bullets for reloads.

randyc74
06-26-2010, 00:14
I installed them myself on my 30sf and 2nd gen 19. No trouble installing on either pistol, and no difference in the installation steps.

Thanks, that's the information I was looking for. I reserved a range spot tomorrow, so I can test my new sights. With the exception of my competition Glock 34, my Glock 23, 27, and 30SF are all carried, shot often and the triggers are all set up the same. If I like these sights, I will be installing them on my other 2 Glock carry guns.

DLL9mm
06-26-2010, 03:40
They take some getting-used-to, but after 100 or so rounds, you will love em'.
I HATED mine the first range trip, but after that, I could actually shoot better with the Big Dots than the stock plastic sights. I am planning on ordering another set for my Gen 2 G19 asap.

Edmo01
06-26-2010, 04:28
Installed them on my 2nd Gen G23 without any problems.

You will get the "they suck" crowd on here soon, but I say use what you want and enjoy. I like them on my pistol and they work perfectly for me.

Edmo

GIO
06-27-2010, 09:13
Remember they are not easily removed!
I could not get used to them , just removed the rear.... what a pain.
I am now looking for a better range/target set up.
Good luck.

Deep Nylon
06-27-2010, 10:01
Good luck.

Just put a set of these Warren Tactial / Sevigny (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=51761/pid=24483/sku/Sevigny_F_O__Competition_Sight) on my G35 and G24c last week. Shot them for the first time last night at an indoor range, and like them, so far. Might be worth a look.

elglocko
06-27-2010, 12:45
Love the XS big dot

Wriggly
06-27-2010, 13:17
Thanks, that's the information I was looking for. I reserved a range spot tomorrow, so I can test my new sights. With the exception of my competition Glock 34, my Glock 23, 27, and 30SF are all carried, shot often and the triggers are all set up the same. If I like these sights, I will be installing them on my other 2 Glock carry guns.

I was about to ask you where you go shoot that you can reserve a spot, when all at once I realized you were an LEO. Where do you go? District 2?

samuse
06-27-2010, 15:09
[QUOTE=ck1;15533231]Let us know how long you go until you start to miss having a rear sight that actually serves a purpose... old eyes or not, big dots are a big gimmick, in no time you'll find that at the same distances the big dots are of any use you could probably hit with a gun that had NO sights.QUOTE]

That's pretty much how I feel about 'em too. I have a set of non-tritium standard dots on my G-26 and they're ok. I am much faster with a notch and post sight set. It is true that front sight aquisition is very fast, but it takes me awhile to get it lined up with the little white bar on the rear sight. I put an Ameriglo .140" wide front tritium with a plain black .180" notch rear and I think this is the best setup I've tried yet. If I had really bad eyes, the Big Dots might be better. I'll report back in a few years when my vision goes....

Foxtrotx1
06-27-2010, 15:19
Yes, let us know how you like them. I'm also looking at the XS standard dot, but can't decide on those or the Ameriglo Pro Operators.

I love my Ameriglo Pro ops if it helps. Wide enough rear for fast acquisition, but tight enough for putting all touching at 15 yards. get the yellow back, green front, you won't be disappointed.

TSAX
06-27-2010, 18:50
It seems like XS is either a really like or not on this forum. I love mine.

Thunderbolt56
06-27-2010, 18:59
I love my Ameriglo Pro ops if it helps. Wide enough rear for fast acquisition, but tight enough for putting all touching at 15 yards. get the yellow back, green front, you won't be disappointed.
Don't mean to hijack, but I was actually looking at the Yellow rear Pro Op and the Pro GLO Orange Green front (see pic). I like the idea of the tritium front but my 47 year old eye would probably benefit during lighted fire from the addition of the orange ring along with the tritium tube. At least that's my thought process. A local Armorer showed me his competition rig last weekend and he had fiber optic fronts and, boy were they easy to pick up compared to the standard tritium only set. This front looks to be a nice middle ground on them, or so I'm hoping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Thunderbolt56/GL212ORCfront.jpg

Beads
06-28-2010, 06:52
I'm also looking to ge them on my soon new 26. Well aware mostly used for short SD not target shooting. Thinking the big dot I might see in a SD situation- most reports no one sees their sights more point shooting anyway. So thinking can only help. Dying to get OD 26!! Love to see a big dot prior to buying since pics help but not like seeing in person.

911Boss
06-28-2010, 12:13
I recently put a set on my 19. Yes, as others have noted they are not "range sights". I am fine with that as my Glocks are carry guns, not range guns.

I find the sight acquisition is faster as is reacquisition while firing. Couple that with the generally quick time a 19 comes back on target and the results are sweet.

Here is a pic of a mag dump at 20 feet using my XS Big Dot sighted Glock 19, 15 rounds in 8-9 seconds. I think they work outstanding for their intended purpose, Mullet Man didn't have a chance.

http://www.wilsonvilleusa.com/guns/pit5.jpg

randyc74
06-28-2010, 13:44
I was about to ask you where you go shoot that you can reserve a spot, when all at once I realized you were an LEO. Where do you go? District 2?

I shoot at my local Bass Pro Shop where reservations are accepted or at a gun club that I belong to in Wisconsin.

I did get to try out the new XS Big Dot sights yesterday. I fired around 150 rounds at 21 and 25 ft. I used 8.5"x11" white paper with a 6" black circle in the middle. I semi rapid fired and did many 2 taps. I kept all my shots within the circle.

The XS Big Dots are by no means a great setup for a target/range pistol. That being said, with the exception of my Glock 34 game gun, my G23,G27, and G30SF are my defensive carry and or duty pistols. I think with some more range work, the XS sights will suit me fine for purely defensive carry use.

The big dot front sight is quick on target. The narrow post rear sight was not as easy for me to acquire with my bi-focal equipped eyes. Sight alignment in particular (Dotting The I) was easier in good light conditions then in the dark.

I plan to keep working with these sights, then decide if I'm going to install them on my other 2 Glock carry pistols.

RayB
06-28-2010, 17:25
XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

--Ray

nostradumass
07-08-2010, 21:15
XS Big Dot for g36? Anyone have them?

sharkbait
07-22-2010, 06:46
I just bought and installed the Sevigny F.O. Competition Sights on my Glock17 ( Poor sight picture ) I wasted 88.00 dollars . :(

I was going back and forth between the XS sights and the Sevigny F.O. Competition Sights for a long time--Hopefully I,ll have better luck with the XS sights

RayB
07-22-2010, 14:35
1) I just bought and installed the Sevigny F.O. Competition Sights on my Glock17 ( Poor sight picture ) I wasted 88.00 dollars . :(

2) I was going back and forth between the XS sights and the Sevigny F.O. Competition Sights for a long time--Hopefully I,ll have better luck with the XS sights

1) Bummer.

I'm not familiar with that sight picture, but perhaps you could salvage the situation by replacing the front sight only?

AmeriGlo offers front sights, and one of these may work well with your Sevigney rear sight...

http://www.ameriglo.net/sights

2) We put XS' on my wife's G19, and she did not like them (see comments earlier in this post) at all. Her shooting improved immediately with the installation of Trijicon sights.

I gave those same XS BD sights to a friend for his 1st Gen G17, as his Meps had gone dark. He's not wild about them either... This friend owns upward of fifty guns at any given time, as he trades and collects, customizes and reloads... He is an excellent shot!

I would recommend that you also look at AmeriGlo Operator sights as well.

This is also from my Night Sight Review...

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

--Ray

frankt
08-02-2010, 21:33
That Sevigny combination, along with the tactical and carry versions, are some of the most used sights out there. Many top shooters use them along with Sevigny himself who has hit a target or two.
I am surprised you say "bad sight picture" but I do know different people want different things in a sight.
I use XS Big Dots on my CCW gun but I have some combination of Warren/Sevigny on all my competition and range guns.Warren/Sevigny

RS7
08-04-2010, 20:55
Not a big fan. Practice point shooting.

Hound_dogs_01
08-09-2010, 16:48
Is it possible to install these sights and shoot the gun without the loc-tite, and just used the 2 set screws to hold the rear sight in place? You know just incase I dont like them. I've always wanted to try these, but just recently got a carry Glock an OD G23. So I suppose nows the time to buy.

Thanks,
Alex

NMGlocker
08-09-2010, 17:53
Not a big fan. Practice point shooting.
Care to make a wager on your point shooting ability vs. sighted fire?

DLL9mm
08-09-2010, 19:43
Is it possible to install these sights and shoot the gun without the loc-tite, and just used the 2 set screws to hold the rear sight in place? You know just incase I dont like them. I've always wanted to try these, but just recently got a carry Glock an OD G23. So I suppose nows the time to buy.

Thanks,
Alex

I wouldn't personally. Why don't you want to use loc-tite?

Boxerglocker
08-10-2010, 10:18
Good luck.

Did you heat the rear sight up with a heat gun? Red loctite breaks down at about 300 degrees, about a minute with the average $15 harbor frieght tools heat gun.

Then loosen the allen keyed set screws and very mild drift and hammer cohersion they will come right off. A slightly acetone dampened rag and the loctite residue is easily removed from the sights.

Walla! sights removed and ready ro reinstallation on a different gun or resale.

I've installed and removed many sets of sights, installed with loctite and this method works the best.

Thanks,
Alex

Not a good idea... I do sight the gun in prior to applying loctite to the rear sight though. Like I posted above removing them is not an issue providing you have the correct method and tools.

Hound_dogs_01
08-11-2010, 16:50
I wouldn't personally. Why don't you want to use loc-tite?

Just dont want to loc tite them on there untill I know I like them. If I like them I'll loc tite em down. If not off they come and I'll sell them....

Just wondering If I could use them for say 200 rounds befor eloc titing them so I know If I liek them

DLL9mm
08-11-2010, 17:00
Just dont want to loc tite them on there untill I know I like them. If I like them I'll loc tite em down. If not off they come and I'll sell them....

Just wondering If I could use them for say 200 rounds befor eloc titing them so I know If I liek them

Just because you use loctie doesn't make the sights permanant. Use blue loctite....