New G34 + competition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New G34 + competition

Christian944
06-25-2010, 18:17
So I just bought my first gun a 34 about a week ago. I'm looking to get into competitive shooting and im going to watch an IPSC event tomorrow here in Orlando FL.

Going to get some dawson sights but I was just wondering if anyone that has gone through this initial stage before could give me any advice. Advice on anything really, things you wish you had done that you didnt. I dont want to repeat anyones mistakes :)

RedHaze
06-25-2010, 18:25
Go slow. Have fun.

Take a peek around in this forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25).

blktie8
06-25-2010, 21:37
I purchased these from Chris
at CPWSA

My glock 34 runs fine with them

Chris is a shooter and sells competition products and he will help you out with your choices.

John

PEC-Memphis
06-25-2010, 21:41
So I just bought my first gun a 34 about a week ago. I'm looking to get into competitive shooting and im going to watch an IPSC event tomorrow here in Orlando FL.

Going to get some dawson sights but I was just wondering if anyone that has gone through this initial stage before could give me any advice. Advice on anything really, things you wish you had done that you didnt. I dont want to repeat anyones mistakes :)

The Dawson Precision F/O sights are fairly popular among the IDPA folks.

wilkersk
06-25-2010, 21:45
Rather than dumping money into new sights or other custom work, buy more magazines and a good belt/holster rig.

After running dry a few times, I insist on having at least 6 magazines for production division competition. 4 on the belt, 1 in the gun, and 1 in my pocket.

And, a good solid belt/holster/mag pouch rig is much more important for a new competitor than an expensive or heavily customized pistol.

If you're serious about competing, and not reloading, consider starting. A new Dillon XL650 can pay for itself quickly, especially if you can scrounge for brass.

------------added----------

I just made the leap from a CZ75 to a G34 and love it!

Christian944
06-25-2010, 21:57
Yeah the first thing will be a hoster/belt. I have everything else, oh and of course, magazines.

I want to step into the sport slowly, see how much I really like it before I spend too much money. Thanks for the information.

Boxerglocker
06-25-2010, 22:08
As Glock platform biased I am.... I have to admit that the weakest link but far are the stock sights. A sight change is a must do for me with any Glock. (waiting on some XS sights for my new carry G30SF right now) The Dawson FO/Henie combo are great as are the Sevigny's I sport both on my G34 and G17 game guns. Holsters recommend BladeTech or Comptac and Wilderness Tactical for a belt.

AmericanGunWorks
06-25-2010, 22:32
Wow, first gun is a 34.. nice job..

here's my only advice that I didnt when I started shooting IDPA.. get a sight picture before shooting, don't just do blind double taps becuase its faster.

ronin.45
06-25-2010, 23:49
Red Haze has it right. Go slow and have fun. I actually like stock sights. I just change the front to a steel version. If you like different sights get what you like. Other than that a good holster and some extra mags will be needed. The 34 comes pretty well set-up for competition.

capecodcowboy
06-28-2010, 16:34
:needspics:
congrats!

Christian944
06-28-2010, 18:39
[/URL]

[URL="http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/ChristianGlock34/?action=view&current=DSCN1310.jpg"]http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/ChristianGlock34/th_DSCN1310.jpg (http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/ChristianGlock34/?action=view&current=DSCN1311.jpg)

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/ChristianGlock34/DSCN1311.jpg

dsmw5142
06-28-2010, 20:16
Is that A-grip? Good stuff. Just be careful getting solvents on stick on grips of any kind as it tends to turn the glue gooey and it will move around. Best to wrap the grip with a towel or rag if you're spraying any powder blast/break free or other solvent on the frame.

I am not a big fan of the stick sights and change mine for Sevigny's or Heinie's with a Qwik/Race cut rear in all black. You can get some pretty decent sights from Ameriglo in many different styles to include tritium and plain black.

I also always ditch the extended slide stop in favor of the standard one. The standard is just as easy to activate and you will be less likely to bump it in rapid fire, locking the slide to the rear in the middle of a stage.

I would also get a holster and pouches that are IDPA legal if you think you might want to try something besides USPSA. Anything IDPA legal will be fine for USPSA production.

My club holds an IDPA match the third Saturday of every month in Ft. Meade (Polk County/south of bartow) which isn't too far for you if you're coming from Orlando. PM me and I will give you the details. If you come to a match, I will install any parts you have that you want installed if you like. I am an armorer for my department. Also, if you let me know you're coming, you can borrow something if you need it. I have enough holsters and pouches for at least four or five other glock shooters.

samuse
06-28-2010, 20:23
Wow, I need friends like that guy...^^

bac1023
06-28-2010, 20:56
Congrats on the G34. :)

Cheytac
06-30-2010, 08:17
Congrats Christian. I'm looking at getting a G34 myself. I hope to shoot in Clearwater next month for my 1st time, IDPA.

dsmw, can you send me some info on your club?

dsmw5142
06-30-2010, 18:56
Congrats Christian. I'm looking at getting a G34 myself. I hope to shoot in Clearwater next month for my 1st time, IDPA.

dsmw, can you send me some info on your club?

For some reason I can't seem to send you a PM. You can PM me an email address or send me an email at dsmw5142@hotmail.com and I will gladly send you the info.

Colorado4Wheel
06-30-2010, 21:00
Sights is the first mod. Try out some sights to see what width's you like. I like the Dawson the best. Warren or a distant second.

bisdak
06-30-2010, 23:37
Here's my advice:

1.FOCUS
2.ATTENTION
3.SAFETY
4. Go slow, accuracy before speed, speed will come over time. You can only shoot as fast as you can see. But to see, make sure you have front sights on target first before trigger pull.

Good Luck!

G17G4
07-03-2010, 20:24
I just got one myself, glockmeister did all my work.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7238/img2138m.jpg

9x45
07-05-2010, 09:07
Shoot fast and have fun. Don't do anything to scare the RO. New sights are pretty much a must on Glocks, a good belt, like Wilderness Tactical, at least 5 mags (big sticks), good mag pouches (singles are better), good holster (I like BladeTech). If you can afford more, get electric ears and a shot timer. Then, take a competitive shooting class so you don't struggle in D class for years.. And it's USPSA in the US, IPSC is the world organization. Check BrianEnos.com for more info.

KS Trekker
07-05-2010, 09:30
I've had my G34 for a while and I finally got around to replacing the stock sights with Dawson Precision FO. Like the OP, I purchased the gun to get into competition shooting, but I'm not really sure how to get started. I shot on Saturday at my local indoor range, but the lighting is so crappy that the FO sights were pretty dim. I can't wait to try an outdoor range, they look awesome outdoors:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ox6facPldds/TDH5Aft6GxI/AAAAAAABO6o/ei9Y9404XzM/s800/DSC00606.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ox6facPldds/TDH5FgeCmsI/AAAAAAABO6w/tE6EW3Q-1Xk/s800/DSC00607.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ox6facPldds/TDH5TWgXjzI/AAAAAAABO68/HSWYTfgzVCg/s800/DSC00610.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ox6facPldds/TDH5gjfQ0wI/AAAAAAABO7E/62-upzoypeA/s800/DSC00616.JPG

My dog Max decided that he needed to be in the picture:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ox6facPldds/TDH5qtBTfKI/AAAAAAABO7M/7duglqYAhp0/s800/DSC00615.JPG

Little Joe
07-05-2010, 22:36
I've had my G34 for a while and I finally got around to replacing the stock sights with Dawson Precision FO. Like the OP, I purchased the gun to get into competition shooting, but I'm not really sure how to get started. I shot on Saturday at my local indoor range, but the lighting is so crappy that the FO sights were pretty dim. I can't wait to try an outdoor range, they look awesome outdoors:

Did you get the .285 Tall Front or the .300 Tall Front? Any idea what the practical difference between the two would be for IDPA competitors?

I'm going to get a set for my G34. I'm not sure which height I should get?

LJ

Jim Watson
07-06-2010, 07:49
The actual difference is about two inches of elevation on the target; the taller blade will shoot lower. Ask the vendor for recommendations. I do NOT want a gun to shoot low, better a little high than any low.

waktasz
07-06-2010, 07:56
Did you get the .285 Tall Front or the .300 Tall Front? Any idea what the practical difference between the two would be for IDPA competitors?

LJ

I'd call Dawson and ask. My guess (based on my experience with the M&P set I just bought) is that the taller one is to be paired with their adjustable rear.

Colorado4Wheel
07-06-2010, 07:57
I have the .300 and my rear sight is set in the middle. I don't know why they sell two different heights.

Little Joe
07-06-2010, 11:24
I'd call Dawson and ask. My guess (based on my experience with the M&P set I just bought) is that the taller one is to be paired with their adjustable rear.

I just got off the phone with Chris at CPWSA and he said the .285 tall front sight coupled with the adjustable rear sight is for shooters who want the 6 o'clock hold. The .300 coupled with the adjustable rear sight is for shooters who want POA/POI.

The adjustable rear really comes into its stride for reloaders. If you have a load you really like and it's shooting low or high, you can adjust the elevation to get you on target without being forced to change the load.

Good deal. I'm set. I traded out a G19 that mostly sat in the safe for an RTF2 G17. I'm going to match that frame with the slide from a G34 I bought, for my ultimate ESP gun. I've got a Vanek Classic trigger kit for it and the Dawson FOs on the way. That's going be a fun IDPA gun. I love the RTF2 grips.

That leaves me with a mismatched, frame and slide serial numbers, G17 for sale. How much of a $ hit should a mismatch used sale cost me? Any rule of thumb on that.

LJ

Little Joe
07-06-2010, 11:31
I have the .300 and my rear sight is set in the middle. I don't know why they sell two different heights.

Thanks for that. I'm going with the .300, so I'll start there. :supergrin:

KS Trekker
07-06-2010, 18:08

LJ

I got the .300 tall front. I read online where the .285 front shoots about 2" too high with the rear adjustment bottomed out.

Little Joe
07-08-2010, 11:31
I got the .300 tall front. I read online where the .285 front shoots about 2" too high with the rear adjustment bottomed out.

:thumbsup: