Colt Defender question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Defender question

Makoman
06-25-2010, 18:20
I've never been a fan of 1911's of less than commander size length, and while I have yet to shoot one, the more I look at that little colt defender, the more I find myself liking it. It is a pricy little sucker though.

Anyone here have one? What are your thoughts and opinions on it?

BubbaShoots
06-25-2010, 22:14
I love my New Agent (similar to Defender). It has been flawless at 500+ rounds. I think Colt is making very good, small 1911's. Muzzle flip is wicked but it is a great shooter and there is no problem shooting it for self defense. I rarely shoot more the 50 rounds at a time because my hand gets sore.

Monte#2
06-26-2010, 05:13
Not a bad gun at all...but I would save a few more bucks and get something like a Kimber Ultra TLE II (they are actually pretty close in price in some palces)...or CDP, Ultra Tactical, etc. I think it is a better fit and finish, and a few more nice details than the Defender, i.e. front strap checkering, extended thumb safety, high swept beavertail (and a much nicer fitting beavertail too, I might add). Anyway...not knocking the Defender...I just think it doesn't offer as much bang for the buck as others out there. Just my .02 worth!:supergrin:

PATRICE
06-26-2010, 07:01

ArmoryDoc
06-26-2010, 09:22
Hhmmm, the last time I checked...and I am in the market...I am finding comparable model Kimbers to be ranging from significantly-less-to-about-the-same-price as a Colt Defender. AND...with Kimber, you get MIM parts!!! [Oh, wait...:shocked:...MIM is a good thing, right??? Oh, never mind...MIM has to be good...Kimber's have MIM parts, and Kimbers are very esteemed, very expensive, & very sought after pistols]--Patrice :shoe:

P.S. Thanks for the 2 cents...if I had 3 cents more, I could get a piece of bubble-gum.:whistling:

Not to dirty up the thread but Colt uses a MIM sear. How many Colt sears do you hear of breaking ? :whistling:

Cerebrus
06-26-2010, 10:29
Not to dirty up the thread but Colt uses a MIM sear. How many Colt sears do you hear of breaking ? :whistling:
O man you just had to go there didn't ya Sarge?...:tequila:

HexHead
06-26-2010, 10:57
Not a bad gun at all...but I would save a few more bucks and get something like a Kimber Ultra TLE II (they are actually pretty close in price in some palces)...or CDP, Ultra Tactical, etc. I think it is a better fit and finish, and a few more nice details than the Defender, i.e. front strap checkering, extended thumb safety, high swept beavertail (and a much nicer fitting beavertail too, I might add). Anyway...not knocking the Defender...I just think it doesn't offer as much bang for the buck as others out there. Just my .02 worth!:supergrin:

I wouldn't. It's really easy to find reports of Ultra's messing up and having issues. I did a lot of research before buying my New Agent, which is a version of the Defender. I must have scoured 80 forum pages trying to find complaints about it and found two posts.. And one of them was caused by putting the recoil spring in backwards.

And I'm not necessarily a Kimber hater, I've had two of them. Colt is the only company that's been able to figure out how to make a 3" 1911 reliable, right out of the box. My New Agent has been every bit as reliable as my Glocks.

Monte#2
06-26-2010, 16:23
I wouldn't. It's really easy to find reports of Ultra's messing up and having issues. I did a lot of research before buying my New Agent, which is a version of the Defender. I must have scoured 80 forum pages trying to find complaints about it and found two posts.. And one of them was caused by putting the recoil spring in backwards.

And I'm not necessarily a Kimber hater, I've had two of them. Colt is the only company that's been able to figure out how to make a 3" 1911 reliable, right out of the box. My New Agent has been every bit as reliable as my Glocks.

Sure...for every one "reliability story" for or against one make or another...there is an opposing story. I am sure he would be well served by either and I am NOT a Colt hater either...just my personal experience has the Kimber being 100% reliable from day one. I can't say that I have had that luck with Colt's...but then again...I have not owned a 3" Colt 1911...so it is kind of apples to oranges for me. And being a 5" 1911 guy for the most part...I am probably NOT the best input on the shorter length and compact 1911's except to share other LEO's experiences over the years.:upeyes:

Spiffums
06-26-2010, 17:37
I had a Defender when they 1st came out and it wouldn't hit sand at the beach. My guy sent it back to Colt and they "fixed" it but no one could get it on paper without an almost contact shot.