44 mag revolver for self defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag revolver for self defense

Manzoli7
06-26-2010, 06:10
Although I own a good quality semi automatic, I currently use a 7 shot 357 Taurus trackers with a four inch barrel as my primary CWP/Home defense handgun. I like revolvers in K frame or bigger because of their ergonomics and reliability, I was thinking of also getting a 44 magnum for home defense in a cement block house. I was wondering if a 44 magnum has a negative image in court because of the Dirty Harry movie.
Have you ever been involved in a case where this was an issue? What if the defendant used 44 special in it? This is about the same power a 45 ACP and I would not have to use moon clips. Also are 44 specials out of a big frame revolver with a 4 inch barel as acurate as 45 ACP out of a similar revolver?

Mas Ayoob
06-26-2010, 17:43
When opposing counsel perceives it to be his job to demonize you, he'll often imply that a powerful gun should be seen as an indication of malice or out of control machismo. Search GT for discussion of the Fish case, where the prosecutor did just that to a man who used a 10mm auto in self defense. It's easy enough for a good lawyer and the right witnesses to shoot down in court (no pun intended). None of my cases, personally, have involved a .44 Magnum used by the defendant, IIRC.

.44 Special should be fine for a home defense revolver. I'd go with a good hollow point like the Winchester Silvertip. The .44 Special cartridge can be very accurate.

best,
Mas

Manzoli7
06-27-2010, 20:33
Thanks for the info.