Wouldn't it be great if.......... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be great if..........

Carolina Drifter
06-26-2010, 09:26
somebody came up with a polemer tip you could install in all that hollow point ammo you and I have? The reason for this topic is a test of Hornady Critical Defense ammo I saw recently. I was impressed with the penetration they were getting with a 380 thru down and denim into gel.

Scamp
06-26-2010, 10:17
I just picked up 4 boxes of .40S&W 165gr. for $18.95 a box.
I am doing a little research on it right this minute!
Probably going to shoot a box or two tomorrow and check it for accuracy, I don't know much about it, but it sure sounds like it might be what I am looking for...http://www.hornady.com/store/40-S-and-W-165-gr-Critical-Defense/

06-26-2010, 12:13
While I applaud Hornady for coming out with new and innovative designs, the FTX offers too little penetration for my needs and seems to demonstrate a little too much terminal 'fragility' in the few tests that I've seen so far.

Hornady's XTP, which has been around since late-1992, was designed to meet/exceed the FBI test protocols (and it does) and it seems, at least to me, to be a better choice for a general purpose round in any of its weights.

I suppose that if one seeks a bullet that is most likely to expand under even the most unfavorable of circumstances, albeit at the expense of some penetration, the 'fragility' of the FTX design might be just the ticket.

YMMV.