How to clean rust on 870 tactical? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to clean rust on 870 tactical?

hobodave
06-26-2010, 12:13
So, I feel like an idiot.

I left my 870 in it's soft case on my enclosed (and locked) back porch last night. I woke up this morning in a panic when I realized that I hadn't brought it in. My concern was that it could have been stolen.

It wasn't, but when I opened the bag to check it out the entire thing is covered in a fine rust. One night! I'm assuming it must have been due to a cool night and a warm humid morning causing condensation. I still had no idea rust could move this fast.

The rust is confined to the exterior barrel and the receiver, and is not present inside the barrel.

What's the best way to clean this, and what maintenance should I be taking to prevent a recurrence? I've been under the foolish impression that a shotgun requires little maintenance, so I don't ever oil it, just clean it with a bore snake after shooting.

Thanks!

aippi
06-26-2010, 13:36
Wipe it down with any good gun oil and that fine surface rust will come off. Keep a coat of oil on it. Cases are for transporting and not storage. A gun safe or even leaning up in a locked closet is better. You are going to get multiple replies about what product to use. I use Rem Oil, other will recomend the products they use.

You have to keep oil on the matte finish at all times. It is a durable finish but prone to rust in areas with high humitity. If you maintain it this will not happen again. Or, consider having the weapon parkerized. A coat of oil on a parkerized finish and you worries are over. the park soaks up the oil and hold it where with your matte finish the oil is only on the surface and wipes off easy.

jdavionic
06-26-2010, 13:46
I endured worse. My wife left her gun in the center console in a puddle of water (water bottle spilled in the compartment) for days. The gun had a coating of rust everywhere.

I used Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner, which also removes rust. It removed the rust without removing the bluing. I cleaned it several times, then cleaned it again normally, and I've had zero rust ever since.

JBnTX
06-26-2010, 18:22
....What's the best way to clean this, and what maintenance should I be taking to prevent a recurrence?.....

Thanks!

Take your 870 Tactical to a good gunsmith and have it parkerized.
You'll be glad you did.

Have him polish it up (like Remington should have done) then parkerize
it. It will make a tremendous improvement, not only in looks but function too.