NY'ers Ever use the "Bullet Button" for an AR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NY'ers Ever use the "Bullet Button" for an AR?

Tweek's Turbos
06-26-2010, 13:21
I ordered one up from a CA rifle parts supplier. Basically it makes the Magazine non detachable without a "tool".

I am popping this on the A2 and taking back to mom's place for the 4th. We have an agreement now that we can shoot as long as cows aren't grazing around the house.

Wording of NYS law;
"Assault weapon" is defined as:
A semiautomatic file that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:

Now NY doesn't have a legal definition of "detachable" but I believe the BATF does.

mpow66m
06-26-2010, 14:38
You dont need that s*it for NY.

kennjen
06-28-2010, 14:49
you know you can get around the AWB by other means, right ?

typically this will involve :
-dremel off the notch for bayonet.
-perm. pin the compensator... (no flash hider)
-pin the stock, if it's the adjustable kind.

And I wonder if what you did is really legal...? I haven't seen any one else do this.

k

Tweek's Turbos
06-30-2010, 16:37
Non adjustable stock, here is the rifle as it sits today.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs413.snc3/24945_1358043921699_1549551490_877400_4607818_n.jpg

I would rather not remove anything from it, that I wouldn't need to in VA. And using a "tool" to eject the magazine every once in a while isn't the end of the world to me. It took less than 4 minutes to install the bullet button.

mpow66m
06-30-2010, 20:13
Last i knew you can own any kind of stock you want in NY.

kennjen
07-01-2010, 08:34
Last i knew you can own any kind of stock you want in NY.

Nope... you usually can't use adjustable stock, unless if you give up on some thing else like Tweek did.

I would rather not remove anything from it, that I wouldn't need to in VA. And using a "tool" to eject the magazine every once in a while isn't the end of the world to me. It took less than 4 minutes to install the bullet button.

You know what. what you did makes sense.

BTW, your ar looks a bit older. (judging by handguard and such) It is a post ban ar right ? Because if it was made before 1994, you don't have to worry about any of this stuff. (and if so, you wouldn't want to part with the lower would you ? I'll give you enough to buy a high end lower with any stocks you want.)

mattyd123
07-19-2010, 12:40
Bullet buttons aren't required on ARs in NY, I would definitely not invest time or money installing one on a AR and make it a less capable platform if its unnecessary.
The assault weapons ban does however cap the magazine capacity of semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine at 10 rounds. However most gun stores in NY that sell ARs will also carry 30 rd pre ban magazines (manufactured before the AWB in 94) which are legal to own. Used they sell from 20-30$ new (original packaging pre 94) 40-50$

mattyd123
07-19-2010, 13:02
Wording of NYS law;
"Assault weapon" is defined as:
A semiautomatic file that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:

Now NY doesn't have a legal definition of "detachable"

A detachable magazine is simply a magazine that can be inserted and removed from a firearm. Also having a detachable magazine does not count as one of the two characteristics of an assault weapon but rather used to explain the general class of rifle in which the ban applies to. A rifle must be semi automatic as well as be able to except a removable magazine to be considered an assault weapon subject to further restrictions. For instance if a rifle is bolt action, it is not restricted to specific characteristics like an AR 15.

In NY AR 15s can only have two of the following characteristics:

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
a bayonet mount
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
a grenade launcher

Therefore as ARs have pistol grips, there is only one feature left unspoken for and in your rifles case it would be the bayonet lug. (Im not sure if your flash suppressor/muzzle break is removable, post ban NY legal ARs usually have pinned muzzle breaks which gets around being a characteristic of the ban)

If your AR was manufactured before 94 then you have nothing to worry about as it is not restricted by the ban. Hope this helps