help remove rogue install [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help remove rogue install

Another Miller
06-26-2010, 15:36
I was out mowing and my son comes over..

"dad the computer was acting up and it started doing things by itself'.

Well went in and checked it out.uninstalled avg because my computer said a file in it got corrupted... and it said something about removing defence center first to reinstall avg.well, I didnt know i had one until now.So I have this little shield shaped icon now where the avg was, its wrecking havok on everything.

how in the world do i get rid of it?

Patrick Graham
06-26-2010, 15:43
The best way is to dynamite and rebuild.

You can try Malwarebytes on full scan if you can get it installed, maybe in safe mode.

Edited to add: I just had one of those last week, I rebuilt it.

Alcoy
06-26-2010, 15:56
My pc got infected last week. Cleaned the hard drive. Now back to normal. Lost everything in the drive. I keep the important stuff on a usb drive.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2010, 16:25
A young kid on a Windows PC...

Why don't you just teach them to snort crack cocaine.. it's safer.. :)

I'd have to agree w/ the above posters format and start over, then learn Linux.. :)

IGF

GIockGuy24
06-26-2010, 16:44
Does it have a name on it?

What version of Windows do you have? XP? Vista? Windows 7? 64 bit?

srhoades
06-26-2010, 17:04
I remove malware all the time as part of my job, it takes 1-2 hours tops. Telling someone to wipe their hard drive because of an infection is the equivalent of your mechanic telling you to get a new car because you are out of wiper fluid.

Install and update malwarebytes and run in safe mode, remove everything it finds. If that doesn't resolved the problem go to forums.techguy.org, register for an account, and post a hi jack this log in the malware removal forum.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2010, 19:52
I remove malware all the time as part of my job, it takes 1-2 hours tops. Telling someone to wipe their hard drive because of an infection is the equivalent of your mechanic telling you to get a new car because you are out of wiper fluid.

Funny... but a totally ridiculous analogy...

faber
06-26-2010, 20:00
http://majorgeeks.com/IObit_Security_360_d6088.html
run this as well....

srhoades
06-26-2010, 20:44
Funny... but a totally ridiculous analogy...

Really? I've literally cleaned hundreds of computers over the last 4 years and can count on one hand the number I had to do a reinstall on.

IndyGunFreak
06-26-2010, 20:56
Really? I've literally cleaned hundreds of computers over the last 4 years and can count on one hand the number I had to do a reinstall on.

Yes, really. Not saying comparisons can't be made, but you just made a bad one.

IGF

srhoades
06-26-2010, 21:41
I didn't realize hyperbole was so passe.

stolivar
06-27-2010, 01:46
I clean 3 to 5 computers a nite from virus's. I can count on my fingers over the last year I had to do a complete format and reinstall.

I use Malwarebytes in safe mode and also use Asquared.

What he said is totally true in nature. It is like cutting your toe off for a hang nail..

steve:dunno:

Patrick Graham
06-27-2010, 07:50

Install and update malwarebytes and run in safe mode, remove everything it finds. If that doesn't resolved the problem go to forums.techguy.org, register for an account, and post a hi jack this log in the malware removal forum.

I clean 3 to 5 computers a nite from virus's. I can count on my fingers over the last year I had to do a complete format and reinstall.

I use Malwarebytes in safe mode and also use Asquared.

What he said is totally true in nature. It is like cutting your toe off for a hang nail..

steve:dunno:

Malwarebytes couldn't clean the last round of infection that my neighbor brought over, nor could it reconfigure the changes made in the ethernet connections. Malwarebytes is good but it's not a cure all.

faber
06-27-2010, 12:21
a system reinstall isnt that hard....it may be over kill but its not a big deal.
as long as you got your stuff backed.

Another Miller
06-27-2010, 16:03
Back in business

io 360 worked like a charm. The security center rogue was in the registry. installed the io 360 and it nailed it, 4 copies and removed them without having to do anything else except click "remove".The antihijack feature also enabled me to see exactly which ones were eating up memory and dumping in my system,easy to remove them as well.

Thank you faber, thank you ..very very much!

malware bytes didnt catch it,avg didnt catch it,superantispyware didnt catch it either and they all were updated and ran in both normal and safe mode.

Also, firefox has become unstable too,uninstalled it and running basic internet now. Computer runs fast and great now.

stolivar
06-27-2010, 16:32
Malware is not the end all. but it is pretty good. so is Asquared and 360.

what one does not fix the other one well.

steve

Another Miller
06-27-2010, 18:58
Malware is not the end all. but it is pretty good. so is Asquared and 360.

what one does not fix the other one well.

steveyup.

Had the asquared and deleted it, didnt seem to do much of anything.its wierd, the avg picks up viruses and tracker cookies when another program is scanning for them but wont actualy do much else.

faber
06-27-2010, 19:07
Back in business

io 360 worked like a charm. The security center rogue was in the registry. installed the io 360 and it nailed it, 4 copies and removed them without having to do anything else except click "remove".The antihijack feature also enabled me to see exactly which ones were eating up memory and dumping in my system,easy to remove them as well.

Thank you faber, thank you ..very very much!

malware bytes didnt catch it,avg didnt catch it,superantispyware didnt catch it either and they all were updated and ran in both normal and safe mode.

Also, firefox has become unstable too,uninstalled it and running basic internet now. Computer runs fast and great now.

:thumbsup: you're welcome....