Deleting Word document icon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Word document icon

annielulu
06-26-2010, 16:09
I have a document saved in Word. I can't open the document by clicking the icon.
I also can't delete the icon
Does anyone know a way to delete both the file and the icon, or repair it.

Thanks

GIockGuy24
06-28-2010, 05:22
It sounds like it may be hung "in use". If so you should be able to delete it after restarting the computer. If you want to delete it, don't try opening it after restarting the computer. Just delete it.

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2010, 05:28
If restarting doesn't work, boot safe mode and delete it. I've had to do that before (granted, it was a long, long time ago)

IGF

NRA_guy
06-28-2010, 05:34
Open Task Manager by clicking "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" or right clicking in the open space in the bar at the bottom of your screen. (Win 7 may be different.)

Look for Winword in the Processes tab and kill it.

If all else fails reboot in safe mode and if it shows up kill it.

If it is opening automatically, there are some other things you can do.

Repost after you have tried some things...

annielulu
06-28-2010, 16:03
The only process close to it that's running is "winlogon". The Icon won't delete after a restart.

I can't open it and when I right click it I don't get a "delete" option

GIockGuy24
06-28-2010, 16:12
Try renaming it to a shorter name. After restarting the computer, do not try to open it. Try right clicking and deleting it. If that doesn't work maybe try the portable version of File Assassin at the bottom of this web page.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

NRA_guy
06-28-2010, 19:44
The only process close to it that's running is "winlogon". The Icon won't delete after a restart.

I can't open it and when I right click it I don't get a "delete" option

Winlogon is an essential file. You need it.

Can you boot in safe mode?

What version of Windows are you running?

IndyGunFreak
06-29-2010, 09:22
Try renaming it to a shorter name. After restarting the computer, do not try to open it. Try right clicking and deleting it. If that doesn't work maybe try the portable version of File Assassin at the bottom of this web page.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

If the file is recognized "in use" it's probably not going to let him rename it... I've had this happen before, and deleting it in safe mode always works...

OP..Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, boot safe mode and delete it.

IGF

GIockGuy24
06-29-2010, 18:59
If the file is recognized "in use" it's probably not going to let him rename it... I've had this happen before, and deleting it in safe mode always works...

OP..Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, boot safe mode and delete it.

IGF

With renaming the file I wasn't really referring to it as being the same problem as being in use. I think a reboot would fix that. I have had issues when Windows and Word were the English versions and a file had a foreign name in a language with different characters that the computer didn't recognize. The other issues I've had is with files that have names that are too long to handle. I was thinking if it was maybe one of these issues, renaming the file to a short, simple name might help.