How to transfer files..........Windows 7 ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer files..........Windows 7 ??

ERASER
06-26-2010, 16:38
I have a Dell computer that had a 500 gig HD in it. The computer would not run the file transfer program nor would it run Windows Installer (among other issues). Well, I had figured on buying a new HD, keep the original drive "as-is" and just install Windows7 (Home Premium -- 64 bit) on the new HD from the Dell OS disk. Then my friend suggested buying 2 more Hard Drives and a RAID controller card and set up the "new" computer in RAID 5. (I needed the RAID controller card because the Dell wouldn't support RAID 5).
The RAID installation went fine (though no performance difference at all when running the Windows 7 Experience Index).

The installation and updating of Windows 7 went smoothly and uneventfully.

My problem is that when I run the file transfer program, it wants me to put the old hard drive (which I have attached to the new computer via an external hard drive case) back in the "old" computer so it can run the transfer program. However, the "old" computer is really my "new" computer and I can't figure out how to get the darned thing to run.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Pierre!
06-27-2010, 07:53
Hello Eraser,

Why not just pull them off the hard drive yourself? You shouldn't need a wizard to grab your files...

If you are coming off of XP, your files should be under your user name in the folder Documents and Settings... and just copy them to the new folders in Win7.

HTH

ERASER
06-27-2010, 17:26
Thanks for the reply!

I actually did wind up scouring the old Windows 7 drive for the files and folders that I thought I might need.......it was faster than trying to fiddle around with the transfer wizard.

So far, the re-do has eliminated all of the problems from the original version of the operating system. The only new issue seems to be that if the computer goes to "sleep" it somehow doesn't go to sleep -- it just shuts-down abnormally and I get the message to that effect when I start the computer up again. I have no idea why it does this but it is annoying.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!