steel wolf ammo and use for 1911's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : steel wolf ammo and use for 1911's

KillStick
06-26-2010, 17:02
I have asked this question before just not on here in a specific thread. I have wondered if the steel case used by wolf is safe to use in 1911 due to the extractors being some what sensitive. I have heard mixed reviews of it being safe too don't do it the steel will damage the firearm. So I figured if anyone new the 1911 guru's would and this ammo is strictly just target and plink ammo if that helps at all. At 15.99 a box it is a good deal around here. :dunno:

bac1023
06-26-2010, 17:28
I wouldn't do it, frankly.

I hate that stuff. :whistling:

:embarassed:

Spiffums
06-26-2010, 17:38

Your guns stay to pretty to shoot. :wavey:

bac1023
06-26-2010, 17:43
Your guns stay to pretty to shoot. :wavey:

:animlol:

glock2740
06-26-2010, 17:48
I've used that crap in my AK(but hell, that thing reliably feeds peanut hulls and cigarette butts:supergrin:) and some in my AR, and would probably use it in my Glocks, if I didn't have anything else. But not my 1911's. I haven't ever seen it be much cheaper than brass cased ammo anyway.

Jason D
06-26-2010, 18:08
I will not shoot steel crap through anything, but the com block weapons they were originally made for. People can laugh all they want about getting great deals on their wolf ammo, but I'll be laughing all the way to the range with my handloads made with good components.

Joenpb
06-26-2010, 18:39
Not.

If you can't afford the ammo, don't buy the gun.

KillStick
06-26-2010, 18:53
Not.

If you can't afford the ammo, don't buy the gun.

Thanks joe for the kind of hateful response I suppose, I just received my order of 500 pmc bronze 45 acp and just saw they had a special on wolf. So I figured I would ask if anyone has used it in a 1911 and if it is safe. I know the stuff is dirty but didn't know if it would cause extractor problems.

Jason D
06-26-2010, 19:05
Thanks joe for the kind of hateful response I suppose, I just received my order of 500 pmc bronze 45 acp and just saw they had a special on wolf. So I figured I would ask if anyone has used it in a 1911 and if it is safe. I know the stuff is dirty but didn't know if it would cause extractor problems.

I imagine you would get a lot of people's opinions, versus real world experience.
I shy away from anything steel for fear of it damaging my weapons.

I might make an exception for a Glock, but absolutely not in a 1911.
Back years ago, the US Government loaded .45 ACP ammunition in steel cases.
I have read there were extraction problems with the ammo, in the 1911.

New manufactured ammo would probably be better, that ammo that was made for wartime expediency.

KillStick
06-26-2010, 19:08
I imagine you would get a lot of people's opinions, versus real world experience.
I shy away from anything steel for fear of it damaging my weapons.

I might make an exception for a Glock, but absolutely not in a 1911.
Back years ago, the US Government loaded .45 ACP ammunition in steel cases.
I have read there were extraction problems with the ammo, in the 1911.

New manufactured ammo would probably be better, that ammo that was made for wartime expediency.

Thank you Jason, I respect a comment whether it is positive or negative as long as it provides some viable information instead of just some snobbery sly comment.

samuse
06-26-2010, 19:28
I've shot a LOT of steel through a Glock 17 with no wear at all. Steel can be alloyed to be very soft, such as for ammo cases. I would not think that steel cased ammo would damage an extractor unless the case expanded and was was creating excessive friction in the chamber. I have seen this question come up in 1911 forums quite a bit and I've never seen any answer that wasn't much more than some guy's superstition. If I had some steel cased ammo, I'd run it in my 1911s, but I've never seen a good deal on it so I keep shootin brass.

Rinspeed
06-26-2010, 20:53
I will not shoot steel crap through anything, but the com block weapons they were originally made for. People can laugh all they want about getting great deals on their wolf ammo, but I'll be laughing all the way to the range with my handloads made with good components.

:agree:

You saved me some typing Jason.

brisk21
06-26-2010, 22:21
Id have to be saving alot of money to try it. Sell me Wolf .45 acp for $8 a box and Id think about it. I got a box of aluminum blazer for Christmas and it is still sitting there. I have shot alot of brass since then.

Chonny
06-26-2010, 22:32
I admit that I have shot regular Blazer as well as WWB, S&B and even Wolf outta my guns...

Lately Ive been buying a ton of American Eagle and I like it.

Rutha73
06-26-2010, 23:32
My experiences with Wolf steel cased ammo has been limited to .223. 1)One of my friends ran a magazine through his Bushmaster and about half way through one of the empties jammed in the chamber, got it out with a cleaning rod, next one jammed and we got it out with the rod again. quit shooting that stuff. 2) Another friend was shooting the stuff through his Weatherby and the 3rd round jammed and he put it away (he didn't want to go after it with the cleaning rod). So after seeing those two incidents I won't shoot the stuff through any of my guns.

ArmoryDoc
06-26-2010, 23:51
If your gun will eat a sampling of Wolf, run it. For the pretty Baer's and such, use good ammo. For a range shooter 1911, Wolf is fine if your gun will run it.

MD357
06-27-2010, 00:21
Back when Wolf was literally 1/2 the price I shot it through several 1911s and glocks with no problems. It stinks and is messy but so what. Don't let the nancies around here scare ya. However, I dunno that it's much worth the MAYBE 10% you save nowdays.

ranburr1
06-27-2010, 00:56
If your gun can't handle Wolf, it is not a very good gun. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of it through Baers. Rock River, Brown and Colt's. No issue except the old lacquer coating they used to use.

bac1023
06-27-2010, 00:59
I personally just don't care for it. I never thought my 1911s wouldn't feed it or get damaged by it.

The last time I used steel cased ammo of any kind was 7.62x39 through my old SKS. As a couple of you mentioned, its not even much cheaper these days.

Monte#2
06-27-2010, 11:09

Gonna have to ditto that!

Joenpb
06-27-2010, 12:23
I bought a case of 9mm a few years back for my G19. No real problems with it, but I noticed that when fired, it seemed to throw more sparks than any other ammunition I used. I suspect that the metal jacket on Wolf ammo has other alloys besides copper, and is harder, causing more sparks. I still have a bunch because I refuse to shoot it, worrying about barrel wear. Just isn't worth it.....

Thanks joe for the kind of hateful response...

I wouldn't call it hateful as much as short. Seems these threads pop up every week or so. My apologies.

KillStick
06-27-2010, 13:54
I bought a case of 9mm a few years back for my G19. No real problems with it, but I noticed that when fired, it seemed to throw more sparks than any other ammunition I used. I suspect that the metal jacket on Wolf ammo has other alloys besides copper, and is harder, causing more sparks. I still have a bunch because I refuse to shoot it, worrying about barrel wear. Just isn't worth it.....

I wouldn't call it hateful as much as short. Seems these threads pop up every week or so. My apologies.

Thanks Joe, I know these threads pop up about wolf ammo but my question was pertaining to 1911 extractors and wolf ammo. I have experience with wolf ammo in my glocks and bushy so I know its cheap and dirt. I won't use wolf for my bushy anymore just causes issues but with the glocks it was no problem besides being dirty. I just didn't know if steel casings causes excessive wear to the 1911 extractor or if I just should stick to brass. But from what most have said that I think I will just stick with PMC Bronze or Brass for that matter of 1911.

I like my glocks but I love my 1911's

PlasticGuy
06-27-2010, 14:13
I've shot a lot of Wolf through 1911's, including my Les Baer Premier II. I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with it. It's far from being my favorite type of .45 ACP practice ammo, but I've used it and it works fine out of my 1911's.

I've fired thousands of rounds of Wolf through my Colt AR15's, AK's, SKS's, and Glock 9mm's. It is dirty and less accurate than most other brands of practice ammo, but it has been very reliable and plenty accurate enough for training and taking classes. It might not be ideal in .223's with match grade non-chromed barrels, but I've never had a problem in any combat grade firearm.

bac1023
06-27-2010, 15:23
I've shot a lot of Wolf through 1911's, including my Les Baer Premier II. I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with it. It's far from being my favorite type of .45 ACP practice ammo, but I've used it and it works fine out of my 1911's.

I've fired thousands of rounds of Wolf through my Colt AR15's, AK's, SKS's, and Glock 9mm's. It is dirty and less accurate than most other brands of practice ammo, but it has been very reliable and plenty accurate enough for training and taking classes. It might not be ideal in .223's with match grade non-chromed barrels, but I've never had a problem in any combat grade firearm.

That's what I don't like about it.

With my SKS is was no big deal. :)

PlasticGuy
06-27-2010, 16:26
That's what I don't like about it.

With my SKS is was no big deal. :)
I never said I liked it. I just said that it works.

Well, I guess I like it in 7.62x39mm. Or at least it's good enough that I buy the heck out of it for half the price of the better options.

jeepinbandit
06-27-2010, 16:28
I can't even begin to count the number of rounds of Wolf I've fired over the years. In 9mm, .45, .223. When dealing with the lacquer coated stuff it's not advisable to shoot it along with brass cased stuff unless you are going to clean it first. The lacquer builds up in the chamber and can cause a brass casing to get stuck and fail to extract.

As for worrying about the steel casings damaging your weapon I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you are slinging tool steel cases though it the steel that they use for these cases is pretty soft stuff.

I've actually reloaded some of my fired .223 and ,.45acp cases and they fired just fine and sized just fine though it took a little extra effort which I think is due to the polymer coating they put on them now. I didn't reload the lacquer coated stuff figured the sizing die would just have scrapped it right off anyway.

Chonny
06-27-2010, 22:53
What would be considered the best practice ammo? You cant say carry ammo. I'm talking FMJs here. And you cant say reloads. Store bought stuff only.

ArmoryDoc
06-27-2010, 22:55
I shoot a lot of WWB and my own home brew loads.

Makoman
06-27-2010, 23:10
I prefer not to. Not so much because of my extractor getting beat up. That's easy and cheap enough to replace, but because I hear and have been told that the powder used in that "eastern bloc" ammo if you will, is not only dirty, but very corrosive as well. Prolly not a major issue if you clean your gun after every range outting, but if you ever get lazy like I'm sure all of us have, I can see how it can lead to more serious problems down the road.

While I haven't researched this myself, I just figure, better safe than sorry.

FLIPPER 348
06-28-2010, 12:35
At 15.99 a box it is a good deal around here. :dunno:

I still have several cases from when it was $6.50 a box. I use it exclusively in my 1911s with no issues, many, many 1000s of rounds.

FLIPPER 348
06-28-2010, 12:40
I hear and have been told that the powder used in that "eastern bloc" ammo if you will, is not only dirty, but very corrosive as well.

better not to believe the line of BS you have been fed

MD357
06-28-2010, 13:46
I prefer not to. Not so much because of my extractor getting beat up. That's easy and cheap enough to replace, but because I hear and have been told that the powder used in that "eastern bloc" ammo if you will, is not only dirty, but very corrosive as well. Prolly not a major issue if you clean your gun after every range outting, but if you ever get lazy like I'm sure all of us have, I can see how it can lead to more serious problems down the road.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out the truth before speaking or relaying incorrect information?

luv2brode
06-28-2010, 14:54
i like shooting it, i get to buy more ammo. i am still waiting for it to break/wearout parts, or jam. run it in the ars, the hunting rifle, and in pistols of all diff calibers my guns dont know the diff i guess, they are also tools and are treated accordingly.

FLIPPER 348
06-28-2010, 16:04
I use it for SD. It is the only brand of ammo I've never had a FT-anything with.

paul45
06-28-2010, 16:09
but because I hear and have been told that the powder used in that "eastern bloc" ammo if you will, is not only dirty, but very corrosive as well.

Corrosive ammo is due to salts in the primer NOT the powder. Corrosive ammo is only a problem to those who do not clean their weapons.

You might want to go ahead and do some "research".......

ranburr1
06-28-2010, 16:10
What would be considered the best practice ammo? You cant say carry ammo. I'm talking FMJs here. And you cant say reloads. Store bought stuff only.

Whatever is cheapest and works in your gun.

paul45
06-28-2010, 16:15
Also.......is there ANYONE, ANYWHERE, that can prove with fact that soft metal cased Wolf ammo has tore up or worn out their BARSTOCK extractor?

I think not.

I don't plan on defending Wolf, I have fired only 500 rounds of it in 45ACP, but let's stop with the internet BS.

The worst I see about Wolf is the ranges around me don't like it/allow it just because they don't like sorting it out of the brass they re-use.

Makoman
06-28-2010, 17:35
Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out the truth before speaking or relaying incorrect information?

Yes, it is. That's why I added that I hadn't done the research myself, so that the OP can look it up for himself and not take my word for it. Since I don't use that ammo I really haven't taken the time to look into it.

Makoman
06-28-2010, 18:39
Corrosive ammo is due to salts in the primer NOT the powder. Corrosive ammo is only a problem to those who do not clean their weapons.

You might want to go ahead and do some "research"........

I understand about the primers as I have actually "researched" those and know that U.S. manufacturers haven't used corrosive primer's since the 50's and that most of the european berdan primed stuff has been corrosion free for some time now as well.

I understand where you're coming from though. I don't shoot wolf so I haven't really read up on it. I thought that "dirty" powders were corrosive as well because that's what I've been told. My bad.

FLIPPER 348
06-28-2010, 21:49
Wolf is in no way corrosive, tell the morons told you it was to buy a clue.

The CMP sells Wolf and recommends it for their .30 Carbines.

MD357
06-28-2010, 23:25
Yes, it is. That's why I added that I hadn't done the research myself, so that the OP can look it up for himself and not take my word for it. Since I don't use that ammo I really haven't taken the time to look into it.

So you think it's a good idea for you to relay incorrect facts, only to have the OP look it up and find out it's incorrect? Interesting. Maybe you should research before you post??

GVFlyer
06-28-2010, 23:47

Thanks Jason, my thoughts exactly. I only shoot cheap ammo through cheap guns.

Makoman
06-29-2010, 07:06
So you think it's a good idea for you to relay incorrect facts, only to have the OP look it up and find out it's incorrect? Interesting. Maybe you should research before you post??

I think most people with common sense would have read into my post what it pretty much said, which in more or less words was "don't take my word for it". I find it interesting that in nearly 1800 posts on this forum, you've only started two threads. It seems like you actually spend quite a bit of time trolling around and trying to start arguments with people.

Are you this rude to people in real life or just on the internet where you know you can get away with it?

MD357
06-29-2010, 10:18
I think most people with common sense would have read into my post what it pretty much said, which in more or less words was "don't take my word for it".

and most people with common sense think about what they "hear" and decide not to relay it if they have no clue to it's truth or admittedly have no experience with. I'm just saying that's how all the firearms related internet lore starts, it would just be nice if someone actually looked up the info every once and awhile.

I find it interesting that in nearly 1800 posts on this forum, you've only started two threads.

I find it interesting that you've done more research on me than your initial statement. I'm not sure as to the significance of how many threads I start is relevant to being a member?

It seems like you actually spend quite a bit of time trolling around and trying to start arguments with people. Are you this rude to people in real life or just on the internet where you know you can get away with it?

I call people on BS, some people can't handle it because they are on the internet. Yes, I do this in real life, life is too short.. However, my initial statement wasn't rude, nor were the other statements. In fact someone else said the EXACT same thing I did. :dunno:

FLIPPER 348
06-30-2010, 13:03
I'm gonna go out in the desert and shoot a few 100 rounds of Wolf poly 45acp through my new 1911 build.

Rinspeed
06-30-2010, 13:28
Tough crowd. :whistling:

Cobra64
07-01-2010, 17:09
Tough crowd. :whistling:Almost as controversial as a caliber war. :supergrin: