Running low on carry ammo..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Running low on carry ammo.....

thegriz18
06-26-2010, 19:35
Ok, I'm getting down the last rounds of my carry ammo, which is RA40TA. I've got a few others on the shelf that I could go to. I could also order a few different rounds. I'd rather use what I have, but I'm not against ordering. Here is the list:

In my closet:
Federal 135 grain HST ~90 rounds
Winchester 165 grain PDX1 ~36 rounds
Hornady 180 grain TAP ~60 rounds

What I could order:
Federal 155 grain HST
Federal 165 grain HST
Winchester 165 grain Ranger T

I've tested the Winchester loads and they performed very well for me. I tested the Hornady load and I wasn't impressed. The Federal loads are new to me. I've never tested them, but from what I can see on the 'internet', they look very legit.

Opinions..... Order or use what I have?

KiloBravo
06-26-2010, 20:09
I would probably go with the 165 gr. PDX1. I have had the same let down from the Hornady TAP during some very informal testing. However, I was using the 230 gr. 45 ACP round. The expansion was just ok, it wasn't knock my socks off accurate out of my particular gun, and there was a little too much jacket seperation/slippage for my liking.

I have however, tested the PDX1 in both 165 .40, 95 gr. 380, and 230 gr. 45. I don't normally like paying that much for a small 20 rd. box of ammo, but was curious about this particular round. I am VERY partial to bonded bullets anyway, and they did not let me down. My usually carry load in all of my pistols is Speer Gold Dots of any flavor available in the 50 rd. boxes.

thegriz18
06-26-2010, 20:48
I would probably go with the 165 gr. PDX1. I have had the same let down from the Hornady TAP during some very informal testing. However, I was using the 230 gr. 45 ACP round. The expansion was just ok, it wasn't knock my socks off accurate out of my particular gun, and there was a little too much jacket seperation/slippage for my liking.

I have however, tested the PDX1 in both 165 .40, 95 gr. 380, and 230 gr. 45. I don't normally like paying that much for a small 20 rd. box of ammo, but was curious about this particular round. I am VERY partial to bonded bullets anyway, and they did not let me down. My usually carry load in all of my pistols is Speer Gold Dots of any flavor available in the 50 rd. boxes.

I too was very impressed with the PDX1 loads. The 165's I tested nearly turned themselves inside out on bare wet pack from ~10 yards. IMO, they are superior/equal to the Speer GD.

dakota359
06-28-2010, 13:26
I'm a big Ranger fan. They seem to be the most accurate for me, and TO ME that is the most important thing with ammo. Stopping power and penetration don't mean a thing if you can't hit your target. I'm always surprised when people select an ammo that has the best penetration, not taking into account the accuracy.

thegriz18
06-29-2010, 00:18
My pistol seems to like everything I feed it. I've never noticed accuracy issues with one brand or another.

06-29-2010, 00:54
Go with what you know works in your gun. I would order more RA40TA since you know that works.

glock22357
07-04-2010, 07:29
Why are you running low on your carry ammo? Where's it going?
I've had the same carry ammo in my mags for 4+ years, and it doesn't seem to disappear.

Jim Watson
07-04-2010, 07:46
That was what I was wondering. Maybe the OP gets in a lot of shootouts.
Once a given load is tested for reliability and accuracy, it only trickles out as I occasionally shoot the chamber round.

glock22357
07-04-2010, 08:04
That was what I was wondering. Maybe the OP gets in a lot of shootouts.
Once a given load is tested for reliability and accuracy, it only trickles out as I occasionally shoot the chamber round.

If the OP can afford to shoot expensive carry ammo, more power to him!!

I get a laugh from people that can't grasp that good quality ammo can last for decades in a good environment.

MrVvrroomm
07-04-2010, 09:43
Why are you running low on your carry ammo? Where's it going?
I've had the same carry ammo in my mags for 4+ years, and it doesn't seem to disappear.
This was going to be my question also. Who have you been shooting? LOL

I'm a firm believer in popping off a few SD rounds now and again at the range, but it's rarely more than a magazine full.

FLglockdude
07-04-2010, 11:45
My round of choice is the Speer Gold Dot, but I have been contemplating switching to the Federal HST.

Either one of those would be my choice.

thegriz18
07-04-2010, 12:49
I'm running low on extra chamber rounds. I've experienced some set back issues with my carry ammo (RA40TA) so I replace the chambered round every 25 or so times I load it. I've only got about 6 or so extras left with two 13 round mags loaded and one in the tube. I dry fire practice/shoot fairly often.

Jim Watson
07-04-2010, 17:55
Every 25 times?
Why are you playing with your gun?
My loaded guns stay loaded with no messing around unless to be locked up when not carried or kept at house defense ready positions.

DRT
07-05-2010, 12:55
I'd get some more RA40TA 165gr Ranger Tseries given the options that you've listed. If you want HSTs, go for the 180gr version.

Personally, I would avoid hornady pistol ammo or the light weight 135gr loads.

JBP55
07-05-2010, 13:28
HST or ranger T in 165gr. or 180gr. All Good.

BOGE
07-05-2010, 14:05
Every 25 times?
My loaded guns stay loaded with no messing around unless to be locked up when not carried or kept at house defense ready positions.

This. :wavey:

thegriz18
07-05-2010, 14:47
Every 25 times?

Dry fire practice isn't playing with your gun.

Jerrylundergard
07-05-2010, 14:48
This. :wavey:
Really?

Im way to OCD to just let my guns sit around loaded collecting dust,flint,gunk, or whatever else.

I prefer to function test my guns regularly.

thegriz18
07-05-2010, 14:57
Really?

Im way to OCD to just let my guns sit around loaded collecting dust,flint,gunk, or whatever else.

I agree. I also like to make sure that my muscle memory works if I ever have to squeeze the trigger for real.

BurkGlocker
07-05-2010, 19:28
I am a big fan of the RA40TA as well, and am about to order a case so that I know that I will have enough carry ammo to last me until whenever. And with the 'crackdown' on LEO ammo leaking to civilians, its only a matter of time, in my opinion, that prices will start to go up on my faves.

But if you know they work well in your firearm, then stock up on more...

Burk

BOGE
07-06-2010, 08:01
Really?

Then carry a back up gun if you are so worried about your main gun having a class III malf during a daring daytime bank robbery.

07-06-2010, 22:55
No need to knock a guy for needing more carry ammo.