Gun Show Score! S&W 1066 & original full-power Norma ammo! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Score! S&W 1066 & original full-power Norma ammo!

flyandscuba
06-26-2010, 22:37
Just as I was about to leave the local gun show today, I saw one small non-dealer table that I had missed earlier. Low and behold, there sat a S&W 1066 with Trijicon night sites in excellent condition. It had three mags but no box or papers. Also on the table were a couple of boxes of new-old stock original full power Norma 170gr JHPs and one box of new-old stock Hornady 200gr XTPs with a muzzle velocity of 1410 fps printed on the back of the box... I traded a S&W 38-2 with CT grips and a little over $100 for the lot. I am pumped!

I'll post pics and hopefully a range report soon.

Gary1911A1
06-27-2010, 05:28
Looking forward to your report.

VN350X10
06-27-2010, 19:12
Don't get your hopes up about that 1400+ on the Hornady ammo......200 gr Norma (same vintage as your 170 gr score) was good for an honest 1180-1220 depending on the pistol. And that was HOT ammo.
That 170 has been clocked at an honest 1350 (ave.) out of my G 20, over an Ohler 33 chrono.

Good score, I too await the range report.

uncle albert

_The_Shadow
06-27-2010, 20:15
Flyandscuba wrote: one box of new-old stock Hornady 200gr XTPs with a muzzle velocity of 1410 fps printed on the back of the box...

The only way I see that happening is using a 16" or 18" test barrel...5" barrel not a chance!

Anyway congrats! Nice find have fun and post a report!

flyandscuba
06-28-2010, 05:45
Here are a couple of pics...

As for the ammo, I had to chuckle when I saw they had all the 10mm loadings -- including the subsonic one -- clocking out at 1410 fps from a 5" barrel... I expect it is hot stuff anyway, by today's manufacturer's watered down loadings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/flyandscuba/1066andammo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/flyandscuba/hornady10mm.jpg

SAWMAN
06-29-2010, 05:48
I didn't happen to see that guy. I was at the show on Sat. around noon. I had target fixation on a couple of knives,that seemed to take all of my attention.

Did see several so-so to ok deals on firearms. Was looking hard for another Ruger #1(V or H) but didn't see any.

Would be interesting to see the recoil,muzzle rise,need to repo the hand,thing on that 1066 vs my G20.

I'd almost hang on to that ammo for the buyer that is looking for exactly that. Give the Double Tap a try in the pistol and see how they shoot.

Good Shootin'

cwb
06-29-2010, 08:09
Nice score!
I guess I'm not as crazy as people seem to think for saying 1200fps is easy.

flyandscuba
06-29-2010, 19:57
I took the 1066 to the range today for my first workout with the pistol. I don't know if it is the size/weight of the pistol, but even when shooting full-power Double Tap 165gr Golden Sabers -- the pistol was very easy to control and follow-up with the sight picture for the next shot. I expected a bit more recoil with the Double Tap ammo. The Atlanta Arms ball ammo the range had available seemed like standard 9mm Parabellum loads in terms of recoil. The POI/POA at 7 yards was a tad bit low, but it may be that I just need to get more practice in with the pistol. The group size however, was a consistent 2-2.5" groups. I like the pistol very much and look forward to carrying it as a favorite CCW. I'm currently using a DeSantis open top holster for a S&W M&P -- but it fits quite well and the ride is comfortable for a typical 8-hour day under a camp shirt.

Gary1911A1
06-30-2010, 03:39
Didn't know Atlanta Arms had 10MM ammo. Will have to ask them about it. Glad your 1066 is shooting well for you.

agtman
06-30-2010, 04:51
I took the 1066 to the range today for my first workout with the pistol. I don't know if it is the size/weight of the pistol, but even when shooting full-power Double Tap 165gr Golden Sabers -- the pistol was very easy to control and follow-up with the sight picture for the next shot. I expected a bit more recoil with the Double Tap ammo. The Atlanta Arms ball ammo the range had available seemed like standard 9mm Parabellum loads in terms of recoil. The POI/POA at 7 yards was a tad bit low, but it may be that I just need to get more practice in with the pistol. The group size however, was a consistent 2-2.5" groups. I like the pistol very much and look forward to carrying it as a favorite CCW. I'm currently using a DeSantis open top holster for a S&W M&P -- but it fits quite well and the ride is comfortable for a typical 8-hour day under a camp shirt.

Congrats on finding the 1066 and that historical, "antique" ammo from back in the day. ;)

:cool:

flyandscuba
06-30-2010, 07:28
Didn't know Atlanta Arms had 10MM ammo. Will have to ask them about it. Glad your 1066 is shooting well for you.

I checked their website after I got back from the range -- but didn't see any 10mm listed. This stuff at the range was new manufacture (not reloads) and was loaded in Starline brass with a FMJ bullet. I was able to collect enough spent brass to fill one 50-round box (the other 50 rounds of brass must have taken up residence on the other side of the range line) - so I can take a pic & post it. It was a blue and white box, imprinted with 10mm FMJ and was $18.99 per box at the range.

Gary1911A1
07-01-2010, 17:21
I checked their website after I got back from the range -- but didn't see any 10mm listed. This stuff at the range was new manufacture (not reloads) and was loaded in Starline brass with a FMJ bullet. I was able to collect enough spent brass to fill one 50-round box (the other 50 rounds of brass must have taken up residence on the other side of the range line) - so I can take a pic & post it. It was a blue and white box, imprinted with 10mm FMJ and was $18.99 per box at the range.

Interesting. I had wondered if you got Atlanta Arms and Georgia Ammo confused. I have used Atlanta Arms before in other loadings and it's good stuff. May have to call them. Thanks for the reply.:wavey:

flyandscuba
07-01-2010, 19:56
Yeah, it was definitely Atlanta Arms and Ammunition. Decent stuff but not as hot as Remington UMC green & white box stuff.

Tonight, I went out to go get ice cream... I ended up stopping by Academy on the way to the grocery store. Left with a "sale price" Glock 20SF to go along with the Mint Chip and Praline Crunch ice cream...:supergrin:

Fox184
07-02-2010, 12:53
Wow, good find.

bac1023
07-05-2010, 11:18
Congrats! :cool:

cowboywannabe
07-05-2010, 16:30
wish i had somebody near me that reloaded 10mm, i have 51 pieces of once fired brass that ive collected just because....shooting the aluminum CCI stuff for practice is ok, but i practice with real ammo too and it seems a waste to leave the brass on the ground....

VN350X10
07-05-2010, 21:37
Lee makes a very inexpensive single stage press & their die sets (amongst the BEST value!) all come with loading data, a powder dipper & shell holder.
You can load about 90% loads with the setup right out of the box, don't need a scale, there's no need to trim handgun brass, as most is really too short anyhow, & you should be able to get into this setup for around 50 bucks + shipping, maybe even less if you catch the press on sale.
The press isn't that bad, it's built to be inexpensive, but for handgun ammo, will give you several years of good service.
What you can save on prices of ammo, it's payback time will be very short.
I didn't go to a progressive press until I had well over 1K of brass(each) for several calibers.
When in doubt, ask questions here, if REALLY stumpped, PM me & I'll help you along.
I've been loading since 1973, forced to by my 1st Ruger SuperBlackHawk. .44 Mag ammo seemed REAL expensive @ $15.00/50 when you only make $2.50/hr !

uncle albert

added note.....make sure you get the Carbide die set, it's on sale @ Midway right now for $23.39 (stock # 280-965)

u.a.

_The_Shadow
07-06-2010, 09:10
but i practice with real ammo too and it seems a waste to leave the brass on the ground....

That's just sacrilegious!:faint:

It pains me to even lose one piece of 10mm brass....:crying:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

VN350X10
07-06-2010, 17:40
Rather than risk a gun malfunction during a match, I've loaded & shot NEW Starline at a couple of "lost brass" matches, prolly have thrown away around 5-600 pcs.
Brass is cheaper than a match fee & hotel room !(plus drive time & gas!)

uncle albert

SonnyD
07-15-2010, 13:30
Great snag on the 1066. I picked up a NIB 1076 a few years ago at Cabellas.
They had taken a whole S&W collection in from a Widow, and all the guns
had been in a safe and NIB. I traded a sub compact XD-9 and 70 dollars
for it:supergrin: The only guns they still had left out the collection were
all 10MM guns. If I would have had the money I would have bought the
other 2 that were left.
I called S&W after I got it and asked about the de-cocker upgrade they
did 10-12 years ago, and he said they would still do it For Free if I wanted
to send it in.
I told him all I had were some "weak" Winchester Silver tips, he chuckled
and said they easily equal to if not hotter then the original Norma loads.

Mine shoots great with everything I've shot through it, DT and all.

Congrats on getting your 1066!!!!!!!
Regards Sonny

Kegs
07-15-2010, 17:41
Congrats - that IS a good find.

I expect that the velocity is a misprint.

The 155g probably went 1400 fps, but obviously the subs should be going less than 1040 or so & the 200s should be running 1150 or thereabouts.

Are you going to chronograph these loads? - Because it would be a waste if you didn't.

I imagine that they aren't going to have the same speed now as they would have been when they were freshly loaded - which brings up a point - take a little extra precaution when shooting that old stuff.

cowboywannabe
07-16-2010, 14:29
yes, chrono them!

the NORMA specs were for the 10mm 200gr. @ 1200 fps for a 5" bbl, and the 10mm 170gr. @ 1400 fps for a 5" bbl.

Danny Reid
07-17-2010, 10:29
What I remember about the 170gr Norma load was that it was very inconsistent for some reason. Some of the shots had noticeably less "ummph" than others, even from the same box.

The 200gr loads were consistent and fairly stout.

Anyone else experience that with the 170s?

Danny Reid
07-17-2010, 10:43
Good score, BTW!