black talon or ranger..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : black talon or ranger.....

trailgator
06-28-2010, 08:00
I need some help clearing up some confusion. I have some 40 cal ammo, that I got as part of a trade, that I thought was black talon. Further research has cast doubt on that. It has the black coated bullet, but it is in a brass case. The headstamp simply says "Winchester 40 S&W". Any help setting me straight will be appreciated. Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2010, 08:11
If I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons to switch from the Black Talon, to the Ranger, was to get away from the whole "Teflon coated bullets" media misinformation.

Given it has a black bullet, I would suspect it is a BT.. I don't recall ever seeing a Ranger that had the black coating.

However, I'm far from a Winchester Ammo expert

IGF

MURRAY
06-28-2010, 08:27
there was a few years or at least one year it was coated I have one box at home and mine also came in brass case. I will check it out when I get home

BurkGlocker
06-28-2010, 08:32
Pictures would help bunches... The Black Talon was in a nickel plated case, but they did use the same bullet in a brass case and it was called the LEO SXT. But there are some out there called Winchester SXZ, that uses the same Lubalox coating as the BT but the bullets are just plain Jane Winchester JHP.

Burk

trailgator
06-28-2010, 08:37
I don't have a clue as to how to post pics. I could email them to you if you like, though. Thanks!

Merkavaboy
06-28-2010, 08:41
Without a photo of the ammo you have, it's hard to say if you have the Ranger SXT bullet or if you have the SXZ round that uses the standard 180gr JHP with the black Lubalox coating on it.

The SXZ line of ammo is produced exclusively for Bass Pro and uses the standard USA brand ammo (9mm 115gr JHP/FMJ, 40S&W 180gr JHP/FMJ & 45ACP 230gr JHP/FMJ) and finishes the bullets with a coating of the Lubalox.

If you're not familiar with the SXT's bullet design, just Google for images of the SXT bullet and you'll find numerous pics of the SXT and you can then compare your ammo's bullet design with what you find on the web. Then you'll know what ammo you have.

Glockdude1
06-28-2010, 08:46
Does the bullet look like this? ( 230 .45)
http://i45.tinypic.com/al3zb9.jpg

The box
http://i48.tinypic.com/263wzs4.jpg

:cool:

trailgator
06-28-2010, 10:14
yes it does. Thanks!