Government v. Commander models [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Government v. Commander models

BMG22
06-28-2010, 12:38
Hey guys,

Don't slam me if this is a dumb question, but I'm curious. Do the Government and Commander models use the same frames? I know the grips are the same, but wasn't sure otherwise.

Quack
06-28-2010, 12:47
Hey guys,

Don't slam me if this is a dumb question, but I'm curious. Do the Government and Commander models use the same frames? I know the grips are the same, but wasn't sure otherwise.

they are similar and in some cases the same.

CMG
06-28-2010, 20:25
IIRC, in the original Colt designs, the frames are different in/on the dust-cover (front) portion.

bac1023
06-28-2010, 20:32
Most lines of 1911s use the same frame for full size and commander models.

Both are full framed 1911s. I know this since I only buy full framed models. ;)

IDPA_Shooter
06-28-2010, 21:24
The original Colt Commander models differ from government models in that they have a deeper recoil spring pocket to allow full stroke of the slide during recoil. Some "Clones" do not have the deeper pocket and sometimes have problems due to this dimension.

As I recall, the recoil spring guide and plug are shorter and I believe the external dust cover is shorter on the commander as well.

Some of the 1911 sites have discussed this to death.....

CMG
06-28-2010, 22:52
The original Colt Commander models differ from government models in that they have a deeper recoil spring pocket to allow full stroke of the slide during recoil. Some "Clones" do not have the deeper pocket and sometimes have problems due to this dimension.

As I recall, the recoil spring guide and plug are shorter and I believe the external dust cover is shorter on the commander as well.

That's what I remembered as well.

remat
06-29-2010, 00:44

Good post! People don't believe me when I say that, so I found an actual source, although poster are correct that this is not the way everyone does it..

From the Caspian FAQ--

Q: What is the difference between a commander model and government size frame?

A: The dustcover is shorter on a commander. Also, the area where the recoil spring guide sits as well as the rails are cut back .078 on a commander receiver. Both frames take full size Government magazines.
NOTE: You shouldn't put a commander slide on a government frame. A true commander slide will have different slide stop notch location to accommodate the shorter cycle.