Is it time for me to get out of the 10mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for me to get out of the 10mm?

sk65
06-28-2010, 17:23
Okay, I hate to even post this but I'm considering getting out of the 10mm for several reasons:
1) They've gone up much more in price than other calibers from what I've seen
2) I can't get ammo anymore at local shops, and if they have them, it's around $27.00 for just Blazer stuff.
3) It does not seem to be getting anymore popular, which keeps the price up I imagine.
4) Only one manufacturer I know of makes a revolver chambered in it and you have to pay an arm and a leg for that gun.

It's too bad, because I really think it's the best all around caliber out there. But for some reason it seems ammo manufacturers are making a lame excuse to charge so much for something that uses the same bullet as the .40 and just a bit more powder. I'm just concerned that this caliber may fizzle out soon and I'll be stuck with pistols that have no ammo.
Is it possible to get into reloading with a starting type of reloading platform like a Lee press set-up? If so, how much per 50 rds. will it cost then?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

srt-4_jon
06-28-2010, 18:03
The most expensive part of reloading besides initial cost is buying brass if you dont have any and bullets. I just bought Rainer HP bullets for $55/500. Throw in $16 for powder, and $12 for primers (24.50/1000) and new starline brass for $78/500 gives a grand total of $161/500 ($16.50/50) and that is full power 10mm loads, not watered down CCI Blazer for more money. After you save that brass, its $83/500. If you bought in bulk, the price drops even more.

sk65
06-28-2010, 18:13
That seems pretty good, it looks like you are using high components with Rainier bullets and starline brass?
I do have about 500 brass casings now, mostly from doubletap ammo.
Can I use cheaper bullets for practice and where can I get primers that cheap, it seems locally in my area they are around $35.00. I can't seem to ship it for cheap due to the HazMat fees.

Also, what size pistol primers would I get? And can the same size primer be used for .38, 9mm and .40 S&W?

crockett
06-28-2010, 18:22
$16.50 for 50? Cant you get a box of 50 200gr new rounds for about $23? And in bulk for under $20/50?

How long does it take to press and prepare 50 rds?

srt-4_jon
06-28-2010, 22:01
Also, what size pistol primers would I get? And can the same size primer be used for .38, 9mm and .40 S&W?
You need large pistol primers. I am 98% sure those you listed are all small pistol primers. You can get the primers online from powdervalleyinc.com for that price. The hazmat fee sucks but that is where buying in bulk saves.

$16.50 for 50? Cant you get a box of 50 200gr new rounds for about $23? And in bulk for under $20/50?

How long does it take to press and prepare 50 rds?
You can't get full power 10mm loads for $23/50. You get watered down 10mm similar to .40 S&W. Also, that ~$17/50 is factoring in new brass every time. If you have brass already, the price drops in half.
I use a turret press and without cleaning time, it takes me around 20-25 min to make 50 rounds. I go pretty slow though. Using a progressive press would take alot of time off that.

527varmint
06-29-2010, 13:13
is your 10mm a glock?

If it is just get a 40 sw barrel and .22lr kit.

Just buy the full power 10mm for carry and shoot a few of them off at the end of each range session. Do most your practice with 40 and .22.THis is how I do it and whats cool is you don't have to stock up with bulk orders off the net. You can get a box or two at walmart for a good price. Only order full power loads off the net which will last a long time. I just fire the rounds that have been chambered a few times to avoid bullet set back.

Check out your local pistol range. Alot of them sell reloads. my local range sells 50 rounds for 20.99. However its only slightly more powerful then 40 sw.

If you don't have a glock and can't fire other calibers then yeah 10mm might be a bit of a buzzkill if you don't reload. Might be better off with something more popular like .357 mag or 44mag. Or if there are no large animals for you to worry about 40sw or 45acp should do the trick.

crockett
06-29-2010, 14:38
is your 10mm a glock?

If it is just get a 40 sw barrel and .22lr kit.

Just buy the full power 10mm for carry and shoot a few of them off at the end of each range session. Do most your practice with 40 and .22.THis is how I do it and whats cool is you don't have to stock up with bulk orders off the net. You can get a box or two at walmart for a good price. Only order full power loads off the net which will last a long time. I just fire the rounds that have been chambered a few times to avoid bullet set back.

Check out your local pistol range. Alot of them sell reloads. my local range sells 50 rounds for 20.99. However its only slightly more powerful then 40 sw.

If you don't have a glock and can't fire other calibers then yeah 10mm might be a bit of a buzzkill if you don't reload. Might be better off with something more popular like .357 mag or 44mag. Or if there are no large animals for you to worry about 40sw or 45acp should do the trick.

Where do you order 10mm on the net? Iím looking for a store that is reliable and has the ammo in stock.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks,<o:p></o:p>
Michael<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

527varmint
06-29-2010, 16:37
personaly i have only ordered double tap 200gr WFNGC I shot off about 100 rounds and just carry it. I shoot off a few every time I go to the range.

Cabelas usualy has some 10mm it sometimes goes on sale but not often. I have a cabelas credit card so I get points there and buy alot of ammo.no tax since there is no cabelas in CA.

Geogia Arms has had practice ammo in stock lately.

Most places have buffalo bore in stock because its so expensive but a good full power hunting load.

Reeds ammo is a small shop who has some hunting ammo. However he is swamped it could be a while.

Maine1
06-29-2010, 16:50
Not typical, but a few years ago i bought about 900 rounds of 10mm Atlanta Arms and Ammo brand reloads for $9.99/50. Will not often find deals like that, but they exist.

Get a Lee hand press kit, and do some research on reloading, and the 10mm will be your friend again. Before you start, get a lyman reloading manual, and read it, it will explain the process to you.

if you already have some brass, you are halfway there, as its the single hardest thing to get- and that said, its not that hard, you may just have to wait.

1000 virgin Starline case will run you about $140, and given reasonable loads and a good recovery rate, you can shoot those a while.

.40 bullets are everywhere, the selection is good for both plinking bullets, as well as HP bullets fro more serious work.

For about $200 in gear, a manual, and some effort at learning, you can be your own 10mm ammo factory, making exactly what YOU want, never running short on ammo as long as you have the ambition and components.

OK as far as giving up on 10mm??

NEVER...SLAP....SAY....SLAP...THAT...SLAP..YOU...SLAP...ARE...GIVING ...SLAP..UP..SLAP...ON...SLAP...10MM...!!! ;)

You know you love the 10, we all do , and reloading will let you take full advantage of its versatility.

sk65
06-29-2010, 19:48
LOL! That's what I needed , a good SLAP. I have heard about Lee being a good brand with customer service to back it up.

I like the idea of the .40 barrel also. But reloading seems like the way to go. I'll have to see what the supply is like locally.

Thanks for all the good info.

Maine1
06-29-2010, 20:08
Oh, the 40 barrel is a great idea.I have a LW 40 barrel for my G-20, and i love it. I can make hot 40 loads, and double tap with them as fast as a 9mm, almost.

looking at the DATA only, one would really be tempted to go the "40 only' route, skipping the 10 altogether. under the lens of a defensive only application, the 40 makes a lot of sense....and i hate to admit that, in a way.

BUT, when true muzzle velocities, the ability to shoot about any weight bullet, handle mid size game, and range come into play, the 10 shines, as it does it all.

now, do i NEED a 200 gr XTP at 1150 to defend against a crackhead? probably not, but the same load will work for this, as well as defense against coyotes, smaller bears, larger ****heads, ect, and be pretty potent and accurate out to 100 yards as well.....gotta love the 10.

furioso2112
06-29-2010, 20:16
I shoot carry loads at the beginning of a range trip. Sets my mind to better remember what it should be like if I pick that gun out of my holster and fire it for any other reason than SD. Also keeps the carry ammo rotated. I suppose it's a good idea to also shoot carry rounds at the end of the range trip.

sk65
06-29-2010, 21:26
Yup, that's why I got into the round also, SD and hunting applications in one caliber that can be used in a semi-auto or revolver.

I like the idea of shooting SD ammo first at the range, that makes alot of sense.

My favorite load is the DT 135gr at 1600 fps! It's really cool what it can do to a milk jug filled with water.

Maine1
06-29-2010, 22:43
I also look at it like this: how often have you sold one gun, to get out of it, only to spend that money and more getting into another?

if 10mm suits you and you like it, commit to it. The extra cash you would have spent on the new gun, put into brass and bullets, a conversion, ect.

I had to do the same thing, having carried and used the g-21 for so long, and having 3 of them, many mags, and tons of brass that i had scrounged.
instead of switching back and forth, i swapped to the 10mm, reserving the 45's for backup and training use.

..have not regretted it, yet. the only thing that has changes is i look HARD for the brass..and i enjoy the extra capacity. I also make sure to havew adequate 10mm on hand.

texas 48
06-29-2010, 22:50
I roll my own. I use 165gr Golden Sabers new starline brass CCI300 or CCI350LPM primers and 10gr of power Pistol out of my G20 I get 1300+ft/sec better than DT loads. DT overstates its velocities for any elevation lower than 5000 ft by 120 to 150 ft/sec. I now because I have put them across my Chronograph. I also load 155gr XTP and get 1335FT/SEC using starline power pistol and CCI primers. Both loads give me over 600ft/lbs of energy. Cost 17.50 for 50. Better accuracy velocity than any 10mm produced by DT, winchester, hornady, fereral Speer. The only Factory ammo that out performs mine is Buffalo Bore and they are over 50.00 for 50. For practice you can get good bullets from Montana Gold or Rainer . Cost is 15.50 for 50 with the same velocities as the above loads. Using fired brass cost drops to 13 to 14 for 50. Start loading your own and don't dump your 10mm.

kenzo
07-01-2010, 11:16
What basic reloader would you recommend for a newbie? Goal is only reload a modest number of rounds, not for
competition or heavy shooting.

cowboywannabe
07-01-2010, 11:49
because the big companies sell sorry 10mm loads no more potent than .40cal loads, and the only true 10mm loads are from boutique shops that charge $1.50 per round or if they are less in cost are suspect in quality, velocity, projectile used, or availability in the long run.

i say dump your G20 for a G21 and buy Cor-Bon 165gr. H.P. and get the same power as the 10mm loadings in the same weight.

Maine1
07-01-2010, 14:59
or like, RELOAD IT, Dude..

regardless of caliber, do not rely on others to create your ammo.

Mike5560
07-03-2010, 06:17
A good reloading setup is a lifetime investment. It pays off small amounts over time and will eventually pay for itself and allow you to shoot for more for cheaper.

With everything prepped, I can make about 350 rounds in an hour on a dillon 550. I am no speed demon though. I recommend a progressive press for pistol ammunition.

Not to rag on all of Rainier products, but both mine and a friends 180gr FP (.40 cal) were keyholing out of his M&P .40 and out of my G20. We switched to the bullet works and never had a problem since.

Maine1
07-03-2010, 10:16
IMO, regardless of your choice of weapon, you should be capable of loading at least some ammo. Anyone can have a tall 50 cal ammo can reloading kit.

45 vs 10mm? i carried a 45 for years, and did not see the reason for all the fuss..then i tested the 20 and 21 head to head. sectional density!