Thumb Drives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Drives

rfrf
06-28-2010, 17:35
Is there any advantage to buying brand name or more expensive thumb drives ? They seem to vary greatly in price. Thanks in advance.

RF

Atomic Punk
06-28-2010, 18:07
i would guess long term reliability. cheap chinese electronics dont always have the best life expectancy. of course they all may be made in china.

Linux3
06-28-2010, 20:54
I don't know that there is much difference between name brands but I do know about a guy at work who got a real deal on some 8 gig flash drives.
Cheap, except only about 1/2 of them worked.

CitizenOfDreams
06-28-2010, 21:18
Do not consider thumb drives (or any other drives, for that matter) to be a reliable data storage. They can (and eventually will) lose your data, regardless of price and brand name.

So... just buy any reasonably priced one, somewhere between "$1 ChingShingMing Electronics, shipped directly from Hong Kong, no returns" and "$100 iGigaExtraGold Oxygen-Free" from RadioShack.

Matt VDW
06-29-2010, 00:48
Do not consider thumb drives (or any other drives, for that matter) to be a reliable data storage. They can (and eventually will) lose your data, regardless of price and brand name.

So... just buy any reasonably priced one, somewhere between "$1 ChingShingMing Electronics, shipped directly from Hong Kong, no returns" and "$100 iGigaExtraGold Oxygen-Free" from RadioShack.
What should you consider to be reliable data storage?

CitizenOfDreams
06-29-2010, 01:04
What should you consider to be reliable data storage?

Nothing. Any storage media can fail, or get lost/stolen. And even if you have an ideal 100% reliable storage device, your data could still turn into a pumpkin - due to software bugs, malicious intent, or human error.

Back up your data.

Pierre!
06-29-2010, 07:12
Nothing. Any storage media can fail, or get lost/stolen. And even if you have an ideal 100% reliable storage device, your data could still turn into a pumpkin - due to software bugs, malicious intent, or human error.

Back up your data.

Nice summation of the TRUTH!

I agree 100% - there is such a thing as too many backups... I just haven't found out what that is yet... :supergrin:

Matt VDW
06-30-2010, 14:16

Back up your data.
Given that all storage media are imperfect, what's the best option to use for back up (and back up for your back up, et cetera...)?

Linux3
06-30-2010, 20:37
Given that all storage media are imperfect, what's the best option to use for back up (and back up for your back up, et cetera...)?
Lets see. My 9+ gigs of Digital Images and all the other "stuff" I care about are on my server's RAID 5, my Western Digital "My Book", my desktop's second hard drive and a bunch of DVDs.

I'm reasonably happy with this arrangement.

Drives are cheap.

Swiper
06-30-2010, 20:47
Lets see. My 9+ gigs of Digital Images and all the other "stuff" I care about are on my server's RAID 5, my Western Digital "My Book", my desktop's second hard drive and a bunch of DVDs.

I'm reasonably happy with this arrangement.

Drives are cheap.

Now is the question: Do you store them all inside your house so that an house fire could wipe them all out?

CitizenOfDreams
07-01-2010, 00:19

I personally use a portable USB hard drive which I keep at work (I'm talking about my home computer). I make incremental backups every 24 hours. Also, once in a while I check the MD5 hash for all my documents (FastSum - www.fastsum.com (http://www.fastsum.com) - is a great utility for that).

glockfan5
07-01-2010, 11:07
I have 3 backups.

One is Apple's Time Machine, my primary backup.

Second is an external hard drive that I clone my iMac to once a month and it lives in my gun safe.

Third is an external hard drive that I clone my iMac to once a month and it lives offsite.

Alternate 2 and 3 so I have a clone every 2 weeks.

My Macbook also has most everything on it too.

The only reliable backup is multiple, redundant, and offsite.

Pierre!
07-01-2010, 12:23
I run a Windows Home server that does the "Bare Metal" restore as well as incremental backups... data is on the server in MS's "raid array" ... and it just wasn't feeling "warm and fuzzy" to me.

Looked at Mozy, Carbonite, and Acronis Online Backup. Mozy and Carbonite are pretty close - then Mozy released v2.+ that also performs *LOCAL* backups too! The other reason I liked Mozy is that whey you go with the Business version you can then backup network shares as well. Gets a bit pricey though...

Took Mozy hands down, just implemented the local backup yesterday... and it's all looking really good now!

Off site, and local speed! Best of all worlds!

PS - Pretty sure they do Mac flavors too...

Linux3
07-01-2010, 15:42
Now is the question: Do you store them all inside your house so that an house fire could wipe them all out?
A friend and I swap disks. I store his stuff and he stores mine.