Reloads fail to chamber in Storm Lake barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloads fail to chamber in Storm Lake barrel

packingvol
06-28-2010, 19:03
Just started shooting home rolled 10mm ammo through my G20. I manually chamber test my reloads in a factory barrel to ensure they are resized well. The reloads function well in the factory barrel, but fail to chamber in the aftermarket Storm Lake 6 inch barrel. They "snag" about halfway in, will not seat manually, and will not seat if chambered from the mag.

The Speer manual calls for a case diameter of .423 at the neck and .425 towards the rear, I checked some of the rounds here and at the mouth they’re around .422 - .423 so they look ‘ok’ and fully chamber in the factory barrel. I full length resize with RCBS carbide die, so they should fall into specs….
I just checked some Kinematics Research rounds and they are a bit smaller - .420 at the mouth and at the rear. Other factory ammo chambers just fine in the Storm Lake barrel.

Are the chambers on these Storm Lake's really so tight that they are beyond reloading specs? Do other manufacturer's dies resize the brass to a tighter diamter?

Anyone else had this problem with aftermarket barrels? I bought this barrel so I could shoot reloads with lead.

ctkelly
06-29-2010, 02:38
if the brass was originally fired from the factory barrel and were fairly hot you may have a slight bulge near the case head/pressure ring. This can be removed with a push through sizing die from redding or lee....lee is an adapter that converts the factory carbide crimp die to a push through sizer. Another option is the egw undersized die...which sizes .001 smaller than normal dies and is flared lower to get the brass sized lower than most dies will do.

Are you applying a taper crimp to your loads? Do you flare the brass before seating the bullet? What length are you seating your bullets to?

lunker
06-29-2010, 06:41
Packingvol is correct about the base of the fireformed cartridge being expanded too much for a tight chamber.
I have a Dillon setup and found that some of my 10mm loads were not chambering in my Lone Wolf barrel. I bought the Lee Factory Crimp die and the problem disappeared.
The other (less useful, IMO) option is to use only new brass. It won't expand in your Storm Lake barrel much because of the tight chamber and good case head support, so it shouldn't get that bulge at the base.

_The_Shadow
06-29-2010, 10:26
PACKINGVOL, The after market barrels are tighter dimentions and the ammo needs to pass a drop in test of the barrel(with the barrel out of the pistol using it as a cartridge gauge) Cartridge gauge will show you alot of what is going on, if you are within spec, they are even tighter than the aftermarket barrel chambers. The stock glock barrels are loose for reliability reasons...that is why they keep working.

I too use the RCBS dies to size with but I have found that the area where the extractor cut starts doesn't get sized enough on the expanded brass for the tight chambered aftermarket barrels. I seat bullets to proper depth in one step without any crrmp being applied, then taper crimp in seperate step.

Lee's FCD has helped many people get the rounds to feed reliably. Besides you can use them as a push thru die by removing the top plug.

If you think the 10mm is bad look at the 40S&W's they are worst.

cwb
06-29-2010, 15:39
Every suspect or new to me piece of brass goes through a Redding push through die. Never had a chamber feeding issue yet.